Next season, i know it's early but... - What would be good enough in the league?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ConnO'var » Sat May 05, 2007 5:34 pm

peewee wrote:guys, only to win the league is good enough, thats a fact, anything else is not winning, its losing, doesnt matter how many points we have, how many signing etc, anything less than winning the league is failing in the league.

stu hits the nail on the head, no more excuses about bedding players in, the world cup, fatigue etc, only a win is good enough, anything else is a failure

Agree completely....
ConnO'var

Postby Emerald Red » Sat May 05, 2007 5:56 pm

lakes10 wrote:Car boot sale???

Or just the car boot...

and spade.....

and a forrest in a*shole of nowhere

You get the idea...
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 pm

ConnO'var wrote:
peewee wrote:guys, only to win the league is good enough, thats a fact, anything else is not winning, its losing, doesnt matter how many points we have, how many signing etc, anything less than winning the league is failing in the league.

stu hits the nail on the head, no more excuses about bedding players in, the world cup, fatigue etc, only a win is good enough, anything else is a failure

Agree completely....

This is what 16 years or so does without winning the title. You settle for anything that's remotly decent or at least looks good mathematically on the league table, so at least we can say "yeah, we're close. Next year is ours!" How many of us have been saying this for years and years during the 90's? I know I have. A lot of friend and fellow supporters accept it this way. I don't. I agree: we need to win the league or at least get very close to it with at least 2 cups won, or Rafa needs to walk.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat May 05, 2007 6:08 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

This is what 16 years or so does without winning the title. You settle for anything that's remotly decent or at least looks good mathematically on the league table, so at least we can say "yeah, we're close. Next year is ours!" How many of us have been saying this for years and years during the 90's? I know I have. A lot of friend and fellow supporters accept it this way. I don't. I agree: we need to win the league or at least get very close to it with at least 2 cups won, or Rafa needs to walk.

OTT!

Serious questions yes, to sack the man? Don't be stupid.

He deserves the full five years, but next season will be his fourth and we MUST improve next season considerabley. I expect at least around 85 points, give or take a couple.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

I agree with you in so far as we should ask questions if there isn't a significant improvement next season in the Premeir league.To jump to assertions that 'Rafa should walk' is a negative way of thinking about the future. It would be speculative to judge him on next season and the potential consequences of next season if he doesn't achieve success. Manager's need support and I don't think speculating about next season is the right way to go about it. He has never had the ability like Chelsea or Manu have had to go out and spend that extra £10m on a really quality player, I would cite Pennant as a typical example of this. Now he has the backing of the board, these constrainsts are removed. He has the chance to let him prove himself in the league next season, so let's get behind him and the team and show support. It's not a case of showing blind faith, it's about being reasonable to the guy.
LFC2007

Postby redtrader74 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:03 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

So you expect a treble or Rafa leaves?
Firstly lets see what money he has available to him, rather than the amount speculated in the papers. If we get the top players that HE wants then lets put some demands on him, otherwise sows ear and silk purse come to mind.

For the expectations at LFC to be achieved the manager needs 5 years at least, to build the squad he wants and for the talent to start coming through the ranks in his way. Personally i believe that should we win in Athens that even more than 5 years grace is warranted, as long as there are consistently good performances in the league and improvement.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sat May 05, 2007 7:20 pm

I know it's been a hard 17 years and no league title but it's sad when I read some fans expectations.
Finacially we're not close to manure and Chelski.
Biggest buy rafa has ever bought I alonso for a staggering 10 million. He has never got 1st choice (Simao, Alves+ all we don't know) and has to be satisfied with 2nd, 3rd choice while our rivals can point and pay 20-30 million a player. But do u care? NO. Which I think I low and pathetic.

chelski's strikeforce has cost more than our starting elven. manure's starting lineup 5 times more at least. But no matter what he must win the league with the 3rd choice players he is forced to buy. Rafa even said in an interview that he wanted Kuyt and another player but was told there is no money and he could only pick 1 so he had to make sacrifices.
Chelski as we know it didn't exist 3-4 years ago, get that into your heads!
Makes a huge difference when a team all off a sudden has endless funds and has got a bench that cost more than our starting eleven. To win the league over 38 games u need top quality attacking players cause as a top team breaking down defenses is what the league is all about compared to the CL.
Problem is top class attacking players are the most expensive players there is and garcia, pennant, Gonzales, kewell are our only creative attacking players and our strikers are not that rosy either. For each new top class attacking player we would need to bring in we would have to make a new club record signing all the time to compete with manure and Chelski.

But some ignores all and thinks Liverpool must win the league next year just cause we are liverpool. Well, things change and rafa is performing miracles with the resources he has been given. He shouldn't be close to the title, let alone any title with what he has got to work with compared to his rivals.

But heck, we are Liverpool, why put and logic to our expectations...
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sat May 05, 2007 7:28 pm

And about the part now that rafa has got the finacial backing we must win the league.

1. We don't know anything yet about what kind of backing he will get.
2. It's all in the future. He has got nothing so far!
3. ya, that might be the 1st year he will have the resources to rival chelski and manure. 1st year!

So far we are almost on par with what Tottenham and Newcastle have spent the last 3 years, and not our rivals!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat May 05, 2007 7:49 pm

redtrader74 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

Firstly lets see what money he has available to him, rather than the amount speculated in the papers. If we get the top players that HE wants then lets put some demands on him, otherwise sows ear and silk purse come to mind.

For the expectations at LFC to be achieved the manager needs 5 years at least, to build the squad he wants and for the talent to start coming through the ranks in his way. Personally i believe that should we win in Athens that even more than 5 years grace is warranted, as long as there are consistently good performances in the league and improvement.

No. I expect to be challenging and not out of it by November...again! This will be Rafa's 4th season, and I did say if we are no closer, or even going backwards again, then he should consider walking. Like other posters have stated, he's no excuses anymore. The league has to come within the next two seasons, and if not the he should deffinitly be sacked. I'm getting tired of Liverpool being labled as a "cup side".
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat May 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Penguins wrote:I know it's been a hard 17 years and no league title but it's sad when I read some fans expectations.
Finacially we're not close to manure and Chelski.
Biggest buy rafa has ever bought I alonso for a staggering 10 million. He has never got 1st choice (Simao, Alves+ all we don't know) and has to be satisfied with 2nd, 3rd choice while our rivals can point and pay 20-30 million a player. But do u care? NO. Which I think I low and pathetic.

chelski's strikeforce has cost more than our starting elven. manure's starting lineup 5 times more at least. But no matter what he must win the league with the 3rd choice players he is forced to buy. Rafa even said in an interview that he wanted Kuyt and another player but was told there is no money and he could only pick 1 so he had to make sacrifices.
Chelski as we know it didn't exist 3-4 years ago, get that into your heads!
Makes a huge difference when a team all off a sudden has endless funds and has got a bench that cost more than our starting eleven. To win the league over 38 games u need top quality attacking players cause as a top team breaking down defenses is what the league is all about compared to the CL.
Problem is top class attacking players are the most expensive players
there is and garcia, pennant, Gonzales, kewell are our only creative attacking players and our strikers are not that rosy either. For each new top class attacking player we would need to bring in we would have to make a new club record signing all the time to compete with manure and Chelski.

But some ignores all and thinks Liverpool must win the league next year just cause we are liverpool. Well, things change and rafa is performing miracles with the resources he has been given. He shouldn't be close to the title, let alone any title with what he has got to work with compared to his rivals.

But heck, we are Liverpool, why put and logic to our expectations...

There's a lot of truth to what you are saying, particularly the highlighted bit.  The fact that we are competitive (that's competitive, not brilliant before I get slated) in the league, given our budget to date relative to that of our main rivals, is nothing short of staggering.  Winning the league,  given its current complexion, is a huge ask so a little patience with a manager who clearly hungers for success as much as the supporters do would not go amiss.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Emerald Red » Sat May 05, 2007 7:55 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

He deserves the full five years, but next season will be his fourth and we MUST improve next season considerabley. I expect at least around 85 points, give or take a couple.

Is that what I said? We MUST improve, if not next season, then when? You're after 85 points in the league? So, technically, you're asking for the league to be won, because that's usually good enough to win it.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sat May 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
redtrader74 wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

No. I expect to be challenging and not out of it by November...again! This will be Rafa's 4th season, and I did say if we are no closer, or even going backwards again, then he should consider walking. Like other posters have stated, he's no excuses anymore. The league has to come within the next two seasons, and if not the he should deffinitly be sacked. I'm getting tired of Liverpool being labled as a "cup side".

It's not a cup.....called champions LEAGUE!! :D

I know what you are saying, but he has to get the players HE wants...atm we have no idea what he has to spend, so all deadlines, targets have to be tempered whilst we see who Rafa is allowed to buy.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat May 05, 2007 8:22 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

Agree completely....

Is that what I said? We MUST improve, if not next season, then when? You're after 85 points in the league? So, technically, you're asking for the league to be won, because that's usually good enough to win it.

Check your facts.

:laugh:
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sat May 05, 2007 9:03 pm

LFC2007 wrote:It would be speculative to judge him on next season and the potential consequences of next season if he doesn't achieve success. Manager's need support and I don't think speculating about next season is the right way to go about it.

I like your posts LFC but this bit I have to take a little issue with. Of course it's "speculative", that's kind of the whole point of the thread and in a wider context, the forum itself.

I could have started the thread with the title, "would anybody care to speculate on where we will finish next season and what would be acceptable" but the "I know it's early" thing has become kind of a recurring theme with me over the years. Like I say it's a forum, and speculating, guessing, pontificating, assessing and offering opinions is what it's all about.

As for the supporting the manager thing. I live in New Zealand mate and have done for a few months now. I reckon I know my football a bit but whether or not I speculate on an interet forum isn't going to bother our manager one bit. It's actually my suspicion that even if I sat directly behind the bench at Anfield every week and went in armed with a loudhaler it still wouldn't have any effect on Rafa and nor should it. I am allowed to speculate though   :)
Last edited by bigmick on Sat May 05, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Sat May 05, 2007 9:05 pm

bigmick wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:It would be speculative to judge him on next season and the potential consequences of next season if he doesn't achieve success. Manager's need support and I don't think speculating about next season is the right way to go about it.

I like your posts LFC but this bit I have to take a little issue with. Of course it's "speculative", that's kind of the whole point of the thread and in a wider context, the forum itself.

I could have started the thread with the title, "would anybody care to speculate on where we will finish next season and what would be acceptable" but the "I know it's early" thing has become kind of a recurring theme with me over the years. Like I say it's a forum, and speculating, guessing, pontificating, assessing and offering opinions is what it's all about.

As for the supporting the manager thing. I live in New Zealand mate and have done for a few months now. I reckon I know my football a bit but whether or not I speculate on an interet forum isn't going to bother our manager one bit. It's actually my suspicion that even if I sat directly behind the bench at Anfield every week and went in armed with a loudhaler it still wouldn't have any effect on Rafa and nor should it. I am allowed to speculate though   :)

He's fucking arse kissing again.

Tell it like it is for once you big poof. :;):
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion