Early league tables - Should we look at them?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 am

Martin O'Neil said something very interesting last week. HE said that when he was a player, no newspaper printed a league table for at least the first 10 weeks of the season and this really got me thinking. People are already talking about Man Utd being doomed, Chelsea with their early lead, Wigan and Man City going for Europe and Tottenham sacking their manager because they might not make europe, let alone the top 4 that they were being tipped to break into. To my mind, this is all Suggs and a trumpet, in other words, "Madness".

Paul Robinson also made the point, after Tottenham's 2 losses in a row that if the losses had been months apart, no-one would be worrying, and he's right. I've always disregarded the table up until at least 10 games have been played by every club, and everyone knows that the cream rises to the top.

I heard someone say on a phone in last night that because Liverpool have only 4 points from 6, they won't win the league and they'll struggle to stay in the Champion's league! He actually tipped Man City and Neverton to keep us out! Obviously this man has all the intelligence of coffee table, but it goes to prove a point. All the talking heads, the SSN people, fans, pundits and even players are already fretting and drawing conclusions from a table that's not even two weeks old yet! There's no sense in it I tell ya!

I wouldn't mind going back to a time when we didnt see the league table for a while, it might put a bit of fun back in the game. But really, i'd just like the option of not looking at it but every paper printed it at least twice on Monday, I'll stick my neck out and say that it'll be in every paper today too, it's on SSN every 5 minutes and it seems to be driving everyone a bit nuts. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Man Utd in a relegation battle, but to anyone who owns a braincell, we know that that is as likely as a Everton winnng the league. Still, we can dream...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:16 am

I know Ace, when I was younger my Dad would say there isnt even a league table out after the first three games. He would tell me 'theres no point in looking at the table son, the season has only just started'.

But today, and thats only 15 years on the table is studied after the first two games of the season. I actually dont think it is madness now, well think about it Ace we lost any chance of challenging for the league early last season. So surely for most Liverpool supporters its imperative we keep our eyes on the table. As others have said on here before 'you can lose the league in the first 8 games or so'.

As the likes of Everton and Man.C taking top spots or whatever, and no disrespect to Man.C fans but too Everton ones. They should actually keep paper clippings of the table, as come the business end of the season they wont be right up there (touch wood). The table does take some sort of time to take place, as long as we're winning I personally dont really bother looking at the league, until it becomes a little bit more 'settled' but like I said I wouldnt say its madness to look at it now. Like last season though where we were struggling I paid attention as I saw the other teams pulling away, I hope that wont be the case this time.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby Anfield rapper » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Martin O'Neil said something very interesting last week. HE said that when he was a player, no newspaper printed a league table for at least the first 10 weeks of the season and this really got me thinking. People are already talking about Man Utd being doomed, Chelsea with their early lead, Wigan and Man City going for Europe and Tottenham sacking their manager because they might not make europe, let alone the top 4 that they were being tipped to break into. To my mind, this is all Suggs and a trumpet, in other words, "Madness".

Paul Robinson also made the point, after Tottenham's 2 losses in a row that if the losses had been months apart, no-one would be worrying, and he's right. I've always disregarded the table up until at least 10 games have been played by every club, and everyone knows that the cream rises to the top.

I heard someone say on a phone in last night that because Liverpool have only 4 points from 6, they won't win the league and they'll struggle to stay in the Champion's league! He actually tipped Man City and Neverton to keep us out! Obviously this man has all the intelligence of coffee table, but it goes to prove a point. All the talking heads, the SSN people, fans, pundits and even players are already fretting and drawing conclusions from a table that's not even two weeks old yet! There's no sense in it I tell ya!

I wouldn't mind going back to a time when we didnt see the league table for a while, it might put a bit of fun back in the game. But really, i'd just like the option of not looking at it but every paper printed it at least twice on Monday, I'll stick my neck out and say that it'll be in every paper today too, it's on SSN every 5 minutes and it seems to be driving everyone a bit nuts. Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Man Utd in a relegation battle, but to anyone who owns a braincell, we know that that is as likely as a Everton winnng the league. Still, we can dream...

All the league table tells us at the moment is which teams have hit the ground running and which ones haven't. Talk of relegation Champions League qualification and Europe are crazy. I would be suprised if Man City got into Europe at all. It was nice to see them beat Utd but i was under no illusions as to who should have won that game. They have been playing well but that was just a random result. Once things settle down in October/November then you will be able to judge how well teams are doing. Everyone will have played another 7 or 8 games by then and it will show a more realistic league. Who ever you heard on the phone in saying that Everton and Man City would keep us out of the CL is in cloud f*cking cuckoo land. We have played 2 games, one which we won away and the other against Chelsea that we should have had another 3 points from. Perhaps i've missed something but thats not a bad start to the season.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:31 am

Looking at the early league table, I just about think United have enough to stay up. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ckay » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 am

I'll be looking at the league table on sunday morning if Derby or Bolton win, cus manure will be in the relagation zone!!!  :laugh:  :D
ckay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MightyLFC » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:39 am

Teves Quote "I went from one relagation battle to another"

Ha ha
MightyLFC

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Martin O'Neil said something very interesting last week. HE said that when he was a player, no newspaper printed a league table for at least the first 10 weeks of the season and this really got me thinking. People are already talking about Man Utd being doomed, Chelsea with their early lead, Wigan and Man City going for Europe and Tottenham sacking their manager because they might not make europe, let alone the top 4 that they were being tipped to break into. To my mind, this is all Suggs and a trumpet, in other words, "Madness".

This is true but early form can really make or break the season form as proven by as with our early form in years a past we suffered in the late part and some years we had alot better form in late season yet that early part cost us.

Now i not saying 4 wins at start of season will you the league but of you start well its a bench mark for rest of the season.

Also i like idea of having no league tables printed but if we didn't ave them when chavski got top of table all there :censored: heads fans be drawing little pictures of tables with there crayons  :rasp
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:53 am

If you ask the question "should we bother looking at early season league tables?" then I think you already know the answer. I always wait at least till October before I make any judgements.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:52 pm

After 10 games then its worth taking note. I remember a few years ago Villa alwasy used to be near the top and then gradually fall. The same in recent years with West Ham and Man City.

It all irons out eventually.

With the TV money obviously all mid range teams will be stronger so there could well be a few surprises in regards to 5th to 9th but in terms of the top 10 I can see any change in what teams will be there.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:28 pm

A league table means no more after 10 games than it does after 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.............................37. It is a guideline only, opining when it should start being published is stupid. They should print it for the whole season or only at the end of it. Of course it doesn't mean anything after three games, only a prat would think it was truly meaningful. However Man Utd are still 2 points behind us, 5 behind chelski and down near the bottom of the table. Is it not more interesting to see the rise or fall up the table of sides than whinge about how it doesn't mean anything? Anyone can still win the league, anyone can still be relegated and it is 'all to play for'. However suggesting we shouldn't indulge in league tables until an arbitrary point is a STUPID idea of the highest order.

I bet Sheffield Utd would take any table other than the final one last season, we know the final table is the only one that matters.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 pm

I haven't seen a league table yet, we must be about 10th though. I know manure have lost one and drawn 2 so they must be near the bottom :D . But everton top? man city top? lol  we'll see come october
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 pm

It doesn't mean much, but then how many tables do after 10 games, 20 games or indeed 30? Any table that puts the mancs SIXTEENTH has to be worth of publishing

1 Man City 9
2 Chelsea 7
3 Wigan 6
4 Everton 6
------------------
5 Portsmouth 5
6 Newcastle 4
------------------
7 Arsenal 4
8 Blackburn 4
9 Liverpool 4
10 Reading 4
11 Sunderland 4
12 Tottenham 3
13 Fulham 3
14 Middlesbrough 3
15 West Ham 3
16 Man Utd 2 HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
17 Aston Villa 1
------------------
18 Birmingham 1
19 Derby 1
20 Bolton 0

If Man Utd were 18th I'd suggest we end the season right now! :D  The bottom three may well be those relegated, Chelsea may well finish 2nd but Newcastle are the only other side in the top six now who will probably be there in May. But so what? I know Man City are unlikely to win the league, why does MON not like it being published as we go along? Because villa are 17th?!?!?!?!?!? What a ponce
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion