I know it's too early to say but..... - Is cisse any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:10 am

Alonso is not a striker, he is a midfielder. Also he comes from La liga, a league that is stronger than La Championat. If you want to state your opinion on this matter provide some stronger facts.

What did you expect? 10 goals from Cisse in 6 league games? Thats not possible, not to a player who has never played in the Premiership. It will take time. Reyes struggled at Arsenal last year, now he is brilliant. Patience is a virtue, you have jumped the gun on critisizing Cisse. Give him one season here, rate him next season as a player who has adapted to the Premiership.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby laza » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:22 am

Dalglish wrote:
stmichael wrote:
bigmick wrote:That said my belief at this early stage is that we've massively overpaid for his talents and he is a classic Houllier signing.

some fans are un-f#ckingbelievable :angry:

Other "Classic" Houllier signings ....... Hyppia, Maccallister, Rise, Le Tellac, Hamann, Dudek and Kirkland  :Oo:

I know ......let's blame Houllier cos it's the popular thing to do in there  ???

Ciisse will stand or fall on his own and as for "Benitez probabbly wouldn't have bought him" , he tried to sign him whilst manager at Valencia  :glare:

Dont forget Babbel
Despite freak illness considering we got him on a free i thought his underrated performances in 2001 success well worth his wages
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:58 am

A.B. I certainly didn't expect 10 goals in 6 games or anything similar. At this stage, the number of goals is an irrelavence to be fair. What I was and am looking for, is that tell-tale sign of quality. That deftness of movement and touch. The awareness to think within a situation, to bend a run to stay onside, the cleverness to stand still when everyone else moves, to run backwards into space even. That much vaunted explosive pace. In short, something to make a fan, even during a settling in period, lick his lips in anticipation at how good he will be when he actually settles in.
I said in an earlier post, of course its too early to make a judgement with any certainty. Give him two seasons and my missus will be able to tell you with clarity whether he is worth 14 mill or not, we all will. I'm making a rash, stupid, early judgement and putting it out there. I reckon I'd back my judgement against most and I just don't see any of the qualities listed above. I'm not in any way advocating selling the lad nor slagging him on the terraces, nor am I trying to mobilize an anti Cisse bandwagon. I'm merely putting my opinion on the line. That's all. Take it or leave it. If I'm wrong, and would be about the seven zillionth time, I'll gladly hold my hands up.
Anyhow done it to death now, on Cisse I'm gonna move on. There still maybe the odd "wasteful Houllier" reference in future posts though. Sorry, just can't get over it.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red_Si » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:12 am

Anything is better than Heskey.
Red_Si

Postby Redtribe » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:12 am

I have seen glimpses of him that i like
His 2 finishes in the league was one of a true goal scorer and the pass for Garcia the other day was very clever!
I know they are only 2 points but untill the team settles and the Boss has decided on the shape of his team then the forwards and not just Cisses supply will be limited and not of the best quality it could be!
He has the potential and i belive he will come good over the course of the season!
Of course that is just my opinion but thats my take on him!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:25 am

I'm sick to death of all these people who wan't to gloss over what is firkin' obvious.
Cisse is not showing £14m class. Yes, of course we can give him time but as a club we ain't got time. We also need a reliable striker who is going to be a big presence in the oppositions half, frightening the defenders to death and banging in the odd goal.
Cisse is never going to be that man, neither is Baros. Both these guys can play with this man, when we get him. One will be selected to be retained and the other sold, it's a financial fact of life.
But lad's don't stick your heads in the sand and say it will get better with time, if we can't see it now, it will never happen in the future.  As with bigmick cheerio to this one !! :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:30 am

we have got time. most fans know this.the board know it.

if we havent its cos people like you wont give them any.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Redtribe » Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:39 am

Yeah i dont get the "we haven't got time" comment!

Are the horses of the appocalypse flying past youre window?

Houllier may have run out of time
Benitez Has just started....
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:31 am

well i just saw them comming down my street-- this season is pivotal -- if it does not go well then bye bye gerrard -- to prevent this we could use some goals -- 14 million should get goals immediately and not  " oh well let's give him a year" -- NFW -- for that money i want impact

rafa will fix the team but that 14 mill could have been spent so much better -- the signings from spain ( a real league ) are looking good AND DO YOU THINK I AM SO STUPID THAT I DON"T KNOW THAT ALONSO IS A MIDFIELDER?

long term we'll survive the 14 mill loss . but if cisse does not play like he should, ie score goals( i watch him loaf  alot ) we cannot win consistently, the other 3 ( man u arsenal chelsea)will continue to get better we will get farther behind them and risk an assult from behind as others are improving ( newcastle,bolton et all) -- if success doesn't come quick we really risk losing gerrard and that blows chunks therefore yeah i see all four of the horses and being rode real hard
vlady16.1

Postby laza » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:48 am

Redtribe wrote:Yeah i dont get the "we haven't got time" comment!

He says it alot, i think Houllier must have stolen his watch.  :)
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:00 pm

laza wrote:
Redtribe wrote:Yeah i dont get the "we haven't got time" comment!

He says it alot, i think Houllier must have stolen his watch.  :)

either that or this is the last premiership season ever or something
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:24 pm

''The End of the World (and this topic) is Nigh !'' :laugh:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:09 pm

I know this will send everyone, (particularly St Mick) rummaging for a Robert Earnshaw thread (TBH I'm not too happy myself about the Mikkel Forssell suggestion I made on this thread, nor the Josemi bit but there you go) but I knew I'd posted up about him early and in sheer boredom on an otherwise quiet day on the forum fished it out.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:15 pm

I think Cisse is a great player. We badly wanted him for Real Sociedad but could not compete with Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, he's not doing a good job on Liverpool, but that does not necessarily make him a c*ap player, but a player who just don't fit to Rafa's way.

I'm pretty sure that good teams like Olympique Lyonnaise, that like to play a quick football, would be more than happy to have Cisse in their rosters, and that Cisse would make an excellent job there.

Bottomline: Criticise, yes, but I wouldn't want him to be underrated, because it's not good for Liverpool, we could still get a good money for him, IMHO

Sabre
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PepeMomo » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:01 pm

well i just saw them comming down my street-- this season is pivotal -- if it does not go well then bye bye gerrard -- to prevent this we could use some goals -- 14 million should get goals immediately and not  " oh well let's give him a year" -- NFW -- for that money i want impact

I strongly agree with this statement you've made vlady16.1.   For more than half season he's been involved in our squad (excluding the period of that horrible broken leg he had), he didn't deliever as what you will expect from a 14m guy. 

LFC always have the patience to wait, but why do we need to wait after paying 14M, an amount which will be enough for us to get a very good striker in La Liga or Serie A?

Apart from that, he just didn't appear to be any Rafa's preferred style forward players if u think about the old Valencia... what Valencia had was Carew, Mista, Ricardo Olivera... all keeps the ball pretty well and are kind of less-selfish players up front..  but Cisse just keep losing the ball. 

If a more suitable forward is joining us, i will be happy to see Cisse leaving for the good of himself and the club.
PepeMomo

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion