I know it's too early to say but..... - Is cisse any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:42 am

Yeh yeh I know you're all going to say give the bloke a chance etc etc and I will. He plays for liverpool therefore will always recieve my full support.
That said my belief at this early stage is that we've massively overpaid for his talents and he is a classic Houllier signing. If he was at say Villa who had paid three million for him, I would say "not bad. Could turn out to be a shrewd purchase" but at Liverpool for fourteen million quid? Oh dear oh dear. Does anybody on this forum not believe that if we gave Rafa 14 million and two years to find a striker, he wouldn't find one better than Cisse?
"Too early to say, Give the bloke a chance, Knee-jerker, winker etc etc, I know I'll get all the above but sod it, that's what I think. Time will tell if I'm right or not.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flombs » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:07 am

yeah, i think its a bit too early to say that about cisse BM
kinda unfair. I also think its unfair when people say he's houlliers signing. i wonder if he was scoring a goal or two per game if people would still say that.

like i said in another thread that i quite like the guy and has potential.  :cool:
"Anorexics addicted to shopping with hollow labotomised
heads". -Brazilian newspaper on British football wives.

"Long live Italy! I dont like Australia! I dont care about
the Australian team, and i dont want them to have good results!" -Chinese football commentator (Hilarious)
flombs

Postby kindaconfused » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:30 am

flombs

Yer right of course,  if he was scoring a couple a game I guess we wouldn't be complaining but he aint anywhere near that yet!
Bribery in football helps oil the wheels, the managers take it and the fans pay for it!
Kindaconfuzed and Biffa are not allowed to post.
Biffa is me mate!
Free Dom in the Forum
kindaconfused
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flombs » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:39 am

kindaconfused wrote:flombs

Yer right of course,  if he was scoring a couple a game I guess we wouldn't be complaining but he aint anywhere near that yet!

obviously kinda, but given time and i no the usual "how much time" i would prefer to to see him flourish here than anywhere else.
but i do agree also that he needs to start showing some promise and for the amount that we paid for him he needs to start soon.
Does everyone agree here that he should be partnered with baros in most games just so they can start to gel?
not the usual bring the other striker in when the chips are down.
"Anorexics addicted to shopping with hollow labotomised
heads". -Brazilian newspaper on British football wives.

"Long live Italy! I dont like Australia! I dont care about
the Australian team, and i dont want them to have good results!" -Chinese football commentator (Hilarious)
flombs

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:51 am

So far he has been a disappointment, for £14million and the hype that preceded his arrival many of us expected a bigger and more immediate impact.
As for the reference to Houllier, I think most people would have been happy to credit him with having left us with a top signing, who knows,it's early days maybe come xmas that will happen but I'm not holding my breath.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby azriahmad » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:53 am

I don't know what exactly to say about him, if I say Cisse has not done the business, many will think that I am knocking him. If I say that he is doing the business, then I would be deluding myself because he clearly is not.

The thing is, he has been struggling more than expected. Drogba, who should be weigh down by meeting expectations in view of his huge transfer cost, is to me, doing the business despite this. He plays for an outwardly defensive team but whenever he gets the ball, the opposition defenders are genuinely threatened wheras Cisse has been very easy to deal with.

What's happening? Is it because Liverpool are making too big a demand of him and that our approach is wrong to extract the max from him? From the goals he has scored for Auxerre, is seems that he is good at coming at the end of clear through balls to poke or stab the ball home. He is not one to have to muscle his way through or dribble his way through and score from this type of position. If that is the case, yes, he is a flop and we have to try to deliver better through balls into the box for him as he is not capable of taking on defenders on his own. The big question is do we have the ability to do so?

We don't have people like Duff who can take on defenders and beat them to deliver penetrating crosses to Cisse. We have to figure out how and get it right soon.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:26 am

I have to disagree about the last comment, I know he's young but Warmock is a player that can beat a man an I've seen him do it a few times this season :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:45 am

After his perfomace in Greece I wouldn't be looking to Warnock to solve our problems. I know all the players were poor but Warnock really looked out of his depth.  :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby laza » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:48 am

Talking about pressure i think it bit premature to be saying Warnock can be do the business.
While he is certainly a bright spark and good to see him getting game time he is only a youngster.
You put him into too many lions dens and your shred his confidence
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:56 am

I do think that Cisse's under performances are highly associated by the lack of quality supply!

Our flanks havnt even started to cause huge threat to the opposing defences yet and therefore supply to our strikers and that includes Baros too has been poor!
I think once nunez comes in and garcia is given an advanced role or a wide left role we will have much better penertration!
And as a consequence a pair of strikers who look alot more expensive then they do now!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:06 am

woof woof ! wrote:After his perfomace in Greece I wouldn't be looking to Warnock to solve our problems. I know all the players were poor but Warnock really looked out of his depth.  :(

i agree with that. keep warnock for the coca cola cup and the last half hour of prem games when we're winning etc. he will get better that way.

as for cisse, even the players have said they dont really know the type of runs he makes yet, etc etc. i do look at drogba though and he seems to be doing the business, i just think drogba is an amazing player and thats why he's doin so well. he's one of the best in europe at the moment
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:26 am

Don't be apologetic for suggesting that Cisse is not coming up with the goods.
I can live with all these theories about team not giving him the right supply etc. and I would not be concernd if the guy gave us some flashes of what he could be capable of if the rest of the team played to his strengths.
But unfortunately, I do not see any flashes of hidden star quality.
As with most of the purchases from the GH period, we have bought a player for his potential and as with most of the others, the potential will probably remain dormant.
Either way, we have wasted £14m, because we cannot wait, we need a leader of the line now.
£14m is too much to pay for a player who may come good when a whole list of excuses have been used up:
      When he matures,
      When he get's used to living in the UK.
      When he get's used to a new manager.
      When he get's to know the rest of the team.
      When he get's a better service.
      When do we stop ?
What we need is some expenditure on players who hit the ground running, scoring goals or at the very least scaring the excrement out of the opposition defence.
I don't like stating the obvious but our competitors seem to manage the trick.
It's about time we started shopping for the real 'jewels' and stopped going round the 'car boot sales'. Geez we have wasted dam near £100m on a bag of chite in the last 5 years. !!

:angry:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:38 am

the thing is its not very often you get players who do "hit the ground running."  some of the best players started out like him. i wont name examples cos i'm sure you can think of some, its so obvious.

he's not even coming into a fully functioning side remember. the only players who start great are the ones that come straight into a fully functioning system. you must remeber that the whole of LFC football team is undergoing an overhaul. the team isnt even settled, never mind new signings. the spanish lads know exactly what benitez wants them to do, and they've bben bought with a specifi purpose in mind. Cisse is mostly an unknown quantity to benitez. he has to find him out for himself
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:54 am

Jim,
    Don't disagree with your sentiment. But we ain't got either the time or the money to waste on £14m players for the future.
We need effective performers for the now !!
The team is not fully functioning, but this guy is not helping it to function. You can see where we are going with Alonso and Garcia, they are in there helping to change the shape. Cisse is an out and out luxury.
Unfortunately, this guy is another waste of money from the buying policies of the last 5 years that delivered too many scrap players to list here. :angry:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:21 am

well as you say. time will tell, but i personally think that is what we HAVE got at the moment. i think the majority of the fans, and the board indefinitely, are aware we have a new manager and are prepared to give time and be patient. the changes wont come overnight, neither will the performances, from individuals or the team
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion