I know it's too early to say but..... - Is cisse any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby PepeMomo » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:03 pm

I think Cisse is a great player. We badly wanted him for Real Sociedad but could not compete with Liverpool.

Don't get me wrong, he's not doing a good job on Liverpool, but that does not necessarily make him a c*ap player, but a player who just don't fit to Rafa's way.

I'm pretty sure that good teams like Olympique Lyonnaise, that like to play a quick football, would be more than happy to have Cisse in their rosters, and that Cisse would make an excellent job there.

Bottomline: Criticise, yes, but I wouldn't want him to be underrated, because it's not good for Liverpool, we could still get a good money for him, IMHO

Sabre

Great post. Totally agree.
PepeMomo

Postby bedlovedays » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:41 am

he's playing out of postion,,,,,,,,

when he comes on as a striker, let's say in the super cup, or in a premiership game at the end of last season he scores.

Redrider's point is interesting, however I think Cisse would do a better job than Crouch is at the moment and Zenden should be playing behind the striker not Garcia.  How many balls can we watch be given away?
bedlovedays

Postby JohnBull » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:26 am

To put Cisse in the position he played at Auxerre would mean a total rethink of the gameplan at LFC and I don't think he would be worth it.
As soon as Houllier showed an interest I made a point of watching Cisse on the French channels and despite ending up top scorer in a second rate league he never looked a team player. His favourite position was the halfway line while the rest of the Auxerre team were defending, rarely chipping in with a tackle or running back. He did the job for that side but it's a totally different ballgame here and he's not the right player for us.
We should stop looking for out and out goal scorers and relying on them it's too easy to defend against  today. I'd be much happier with a team of players chipping in with 7 or 8 goals each in a season than one 30 goal forward.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dimshen » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:54 am

i think its fair to criticise rafa in this situation, you cant expect to play players out of position and still get results, ESPECIALLY when your dealing with a striker who only has one real purpose while he's on the pitch, i fear poor cisse is doomed to play out the rest of his days at liverpool in this situation, out of favour and overlooked...
Dimshen

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:18 pm

Cisse has had real bad luck since he came!
Firstly the obvious horrific injury,then he comes back to rumours that he's unwanted and about to be sold!
And now he's being played out of position!
I mean ffs give the fella a chance!
I just wonder if Raffa played Riise up front or Carra in m/f would we be so quick too judge if they played bad!
We will not see the best of Djibril Cisse(the real Cisse) until he gets a run of games in his natural position!
66-1120597113

Postby JC_81 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:58 pm

JohnBull wrote:We should stop looking for out and out goal scorers and relying on them it's too easy to defend against  today. I'd be much happier with a team of players chipping in with 7 or 8 goals each in a season than one 30 goal forward.

I've been making this point for ages John, totally agree with that.  The days of relying on a 30-goal a season striker are over imo.

Especially now with the system we play, the best striker in the world wouldn't score 30 goals a season playing in Crouch's position in our 4-5-1.  Henry, Shevchenko, whoever you want, forget it.  The system demands the wide players and the attacking central midfielder (Gerrard) to chip in with goals.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:04 pm

john craig wrote:
JohnBull wrote:We should stop looking for out and out goal scorers and relying on them it's too easy to defend against  today. I'd be much happier with a team of players chipping in with 7 or 8 goals each in a season than one 30 goal forward.

I've been making this point for ages John, totally agree with that.  The days of relying on a 30-goal a season striker are over imo.

Totally agree with the two Johns here, spot on.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:08 pm

Dimshen wrote:i think its fair to criticise rafa in this situation, you cant expect to play players out of position and still get results

Raffa never bought him and never would have. In a worse case scenario and the French muppet was still here in charge Cisse would still struggle in this league.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopite » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:00 pm

Get him centre forward not just off crouch he can run past players all day long and score he proved it in france
kopite

Postby JohnBull » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:05 pm

He never was a player to run past defenders. He was excellent chasing long balls out of defence when the opposition had pushed up but he was never a player to go past defenders coming at him. As I say we would have to tear up most of what Raffa has started to accomodate a player who is a singleton rather than a team player.
I've no doubt he'll do a great job, but somewhere else.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:03 am

Your probably right Jon. In the long run it doesn't look like Cisse is gonna prove to be the right fit for Rafa but i would like to see the lad get a few games playing up top with Crouch before he's shipped back to France. I still believe he is a raw talent with plenty of potential. His future may depend on how coachable he is.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:23 am

Cisse did well for us in preseason/Cl qualifiying. I don't remember him doing that as a selfish striker just chasing long balls, although some above say that's his only game. He came on with 10 mins to go and won the super cup for us, almost on his own - we were appalling that day before he came on. Yes he was lucky with the run of the ball for his goals, but he had a go. At that time there were rumours about him going to fund Owen. Over the follwing weekend, IMO, Cisse lost most of his confidence, and a lot of his loyalty to the club. Basically he got the message that he was expendable. Some players wilt under the pressure of big transfer fees. I believe Cisse took a lot of pride from the amount we paid for him, and that was knocked out of him when he found out the boss was willing to offload him with barely a 2nd thought. His attitude, previously an obvious plus, has been suspect ever since. Our failure to buy Owen has cost us 2 good strikers. Until that weekend I was a big fan of Cisse, but I now doubt whether he will ever make it for us.
neilE

Postby 76-1115222408 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:37 am

neilE wrote:Cisse did well for us in preseason/Cl qualifiying. I don't remember him doing that as a selfish striker just chasing long balls, although some above say that's his only game. He came on with 10 mins to go and won the super cup for us, almost on his own - we were appalling that day before he came on. Yes he was lucky with the run of the ball for his goals, but he had a go. At that time there were rumours about him going to fund Owen. Over the follwing weekend, IMO, Cisse lost most of his confidence, and a lot of his loyalty to the club. Basically he got the message that he was expendable. Some players wilt under the pressure of big transfer fees. I believe Cisse took a lot of pride from the amount we paid for him, and that was knocked out of him when he found out the boss was willing to offload him with barely a 2nd thought. His attitude, previously an obvious plus, has been suspect ever since. Our failure to buy Owen has cost us 2 good strikers. Until that weekend I was a big fan of Cisse, but I now doubt whether he will ever make it for us.

I think you have got it just about spot on with that post.
76-1115222408

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:39 am

neilE wrote:Cisse did well for us in preseason/Cl qualifiying. I don't remember him doing that as a selfish striker just chasing long balls, although some above say that's his only game. He came on with 10 mins to go and won the super cup for us, almost on his own - we were appalling that day before he came on. Yes he was lucky with the run of the ball for his goals, but he had a go. At that time there were rumours about him going to fund Owen. Over the follwing weekend, IMO, Cisse lost most of his confidence, and a lot of his loyalty to the club. Basically he got the message that he was expendable. Some players wilt under the pressure of big transfer fees. I believe Cisse took a lot of pride from the amount we paid for him, and that was knocked out of him when he found out the boss was willing to offload him with barely a 2nd thought. His attitude, previously an obvious plus, has been suspect ever since. Our failure to buy Owen has cost us 2 good strikers. Until that weekend I was a big fan of Cisse, but I now doubt whether he will ever make it for us.

Cant argue with that!!!
Well said fella
66-1120597113

Postby kazza » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:27 am

The only thing I cannot forgive as a fan is a lack of effort. The times I have seen Cisse lose the ball through attempted dribbles or bad passes and then look at the ref like he was ripped off without chasing back and winning the ball back is too frustrating. The player exibits too many "not team player" characteristics, and that will always be a liability in the team. Not good for team spirit.

Funky African dancing after winning trophies, and getting married in a red suite does not really change my mind about his use to the team. I hope he improves for us, but I feel he will be sold.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion