Morientes. - Is he any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:25 pm

Sounds like a strange question I know but I've never really seen the bloke play much. His record is reasonable. Can anyone shed any light on his style of play? I don't mean along the lines of his profile etc, more like, "well I saw him live against Real Mallorca when I was on holiday. He was absolutely mustard" etc etc.
My dad reckons he's like a Sheringham type of player, thinking mans footballer and all that. Anyone got any objective opinions?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:28 pm

I've seen him play quite a couple of years ago but I can not remember much in order to tell you in descriptive words how good he is. He's record pretty much says it all, most have said that he was born to play English football. He can score and create chances for others, he would certainly strengthen our strike force without a doubt.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:30 pm

On the last point A.B., there is no argument whatsoever. People seem to be saying that he's a back to the goal sort of targetman with guile and quality, rather than an out and out 'fox in the box' goalscorer. If he is, then he would probably play well with both Baros and/or Cisse. Wish I'd seen him but.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:33 pm

I think he would really play well with Baros. Now I'm only hoping that this deal is true as you can't really believe anything until it's confirmed on LFC.tv :D
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:36 pm

thats what i was goin to say none of us kno its tru untill the actually display it on lfc.tv but hopefuly we have got our man :D :D :D
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:36 pm

The funny thing is BigMick and AB, poor old Morientes has actually played so little football in the past 3 or 4 years that BigMick's question is rather apt!

I think your Dad's comparison to Sheringham is very close BigMick.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:37 pm

If chris basicomb writes about it tomorrow morning in the daily post it is true :) .
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:39 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:The funny thing is BigMick and AB, poor old Morientes has actually played so little football in the past 3 or 4 years that BigMick's question is rather apt!

I think your Dad's comparison to Sheringham is very close BigMick.

Well he did fairly well with Monaco and at Madrid for the past few years he has been last choice for whatever reason. Obiviously you can't bench Raul or Ronaldo so Morientes has been last choice. Earlier this season Morientes did save Madrid at a couple of times but obiviously being on the bench is not all that great even if it is the Galactico bench  :D
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:39 pm

The lad can do both jobs - Big strong Target man who is strong on the ball and will bring others into play + just as likely to get on the end of a through ball to finish a move. His record speaks for itself - Sheer class. I'm trying not to get too excited untill i see a few more reports. Madrid must be the WORST team in the world to do business with. Heres hoping it happens :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:41 pm

I hear Earnshaw is on standby should it fall through :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:52 pm

Thats OK then :D :D
Having said that, after a barren period I see he did score twice on Saturday. I still maintain that he will score lots of goals ( I think he's got something like 5 in 11 starts in the Prem. For West Brom that is LOTS of goals believe me. ) Will probably end up at Everton next season playing alongside Beattie.
Please remember aswell Scottie, I suggested signing Earnshaw when we had absolutely no cash whatsoever. All that said, I stand by my judgement. He will always score lots of goals.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:56 pm

jonnymac1979

Postby zarababe » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:01 am

Just posted it on the Morientes thread Jonny.. isn't it great news ... I'm so happy :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:05 am

Sounds v promising :)

Viva el Moro :upside:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:44 am

Good question, just have trust Rafa on this one i guess.
For me this is why i would have preferred Anelka who is already proven in EPL
With situation we are in , its imperative that if he does sign,Morientes hits the ground running .
Just hoping that fan forums arent filled in a few weeks time that he going to need a few months to adjust to EPL etc because we really dont have that luxury at moment
Last edited by laza on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion