Morientes. - Is he any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:26 am

Andy gray is the most anti-LFC commentator you'll ever hear, he is blue through and through. f*cking pr*ck.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:34 am

Andy Gray f**kin loves Man U :angry:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:25 pm

Sorry if it has been posted, but how was his record in the French league with Monaco?

Perhaps his association to French football could be a bad thing... :D
Adebisi

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Adebisi wrote:Sorry if it has been posted, but how was his record in the French league with Monaco?

Perhaps his association to French football could be a bad thing... :D

morientes scored 22 goals in 41 games during his loan spell at monaco. this included 9 goals in 12 champions league games, making him the tournaments highest scorer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:28 pm

Alanay wrote:They said it's just a matter of medical examination and he can sign the deal...

You really should stop listening to those voices in your head lad ! !

On Topic, he is undoubtedly talanted, you do not play for Real Madrid by mistake. Also to top score in the CL is no mean feat.

I just think we are crying out for a striker of his type as all of ours are pretty similar.

He is Sheringhamesque, in that he may not be like the proverbial sh!t off the shovel, but the first five yards are in his head.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:48 pm

Another good point is that I believe he is'nt injury prone either, although as mentioned didnt play in a lot of games for Real to get injured.

If him and Baros both stay injury free I'm confident they form a good partnership... oh yeah
Adebisi

Postby stmichael » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:51 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Not quite top class, but very high quality player from what i've seen.

what do you mean not top class? ???

i've always rated the guy higher than raul in terms of his all round footballing ability.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:57 pm

he needs to come in and get 5 games under his belt and then he will be up to speed and match fit only then will we be able to see if he is any good .
i still think it a bit of a risk buying when he has not been playing much football over the last 4 years, and last year he did have a few shocking games.
but we dont have much money right now and needs must  so lets hope he comes in and shows Real M what they are missing .
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:18 pm

Nar Raul's an amazin.

Skill, touch, technique, pace, dribbling, finishing, passing, reading the game, link up play. Raul's got the lot. A bit of bad form doesn't make him a bad player.

Morientes is superb, don't get me wrong, but Raul's on a different planet. Look at his goal record's and the esteem he's held at that club, thats not because he's a decent player only.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:18 pm

bigmick wrote:Sounds like a strange question I know but I've never really seen the bloke play much. His record is reasonable. Can anyone shed any light on his style of play? I don't mean along the lines of his profile etc, more like, "well I saw him live against Real Mallorca when I was on holiday. He was absolutely mustard" etc etc.
My dad reckons he's like a Sheringham type of player, thinking mans footballer and all that. Anyone got any objective opinions?

Fingers crossed he is "any good" Mick as we seem to have just agreed to pay £6.3m pound for the lad.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Huck » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:44 am

Morientes could have been one of the most valued in the world if the policy of Real for last years hadnt been like it is...ha has a little bit of everything and now I think the only thing he has to do is to play to get used to the new mates and the new gamestyle there. As for the comparison with Raul, they r not the same kind of player, el Moro is a 9 and Raul is a 7 (talking about the number on the T-shirt  lol) so they r not in charge of the same things in the pitch. Raul is the best Spanish footballer ever...and we all love him...though we have to recognize he is through a bad patch one year since.
Merengues and Reds together
Huck

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:04 am

Not a bad position to be in for us next season, Baros & Mor. up front with Cisse on the bench - quality.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:09 am

I think he's going to prove to be a more influential signing than Alonso !
And it would take some doing to top his start for Liverpool.
As soon as I heard there was a chance for us to sign him - I was over the moon.  Pure and simply - he is class.
Don't know why people think he hasn't played that much over the last 3-4 yrs.  Maybe this season he's been given very few chances, but other than that, I wouldn't worry about his form / fitness.
I agree with the comparison to Sheringham - but I would go further by saying that he's the next level up - in that I mean - for all his Guile & Cleverness - he will still score lots of goals (bread & butter) ones - and have plenty of assists.  His reading of the game is first class, he's strong in the air, probably not as quick out the blocks as a lot of Premiership strikers - but he more than makes up for it with his touch & positional awareness.

I'd liken him to Litmanen but with more predatory awareness/skills.

Who know's what will happen - nobody know's how someone will settle in when they are new.  But he's got a few Spanish lads to bond with & hopefully he's firly good mates with Nunez - so that should help.
He will definitely give us more options - I reckon he'll compliment Baros & Cisse - but could even play up on his own with the likes of Garcia playing just behind him - or Riise & Nunez pushing on supplying the crosses
Could be potentially devastating !!
And finally - in Gerrard & Alonso we have arguably the best suppliers / passers in the League.

Have I Sold Him To You Yet
:) :D
SouthernScouser

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:17 am

So stop waffling Southern Scouse, do you rate him or not? :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 am

Can't you see Mick
Was merely trying to point out how average he is
:D
SouthernScouser

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion