Morientes. - Is he any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red_Si » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:18 pm

He's a top class striker. I expect him to score a hat-trick on saturday.
Red_Si

Postby andy_g » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:49 pm

to be fair i can't see him taking long to settle in - he seems like a natural footballer. to go out to monaco on loan after not seeing a great deal of action with madrid and perform like he did proves it. as for the adjustment to the english game, many pundits, here and in spain, have likened him to a classic english style attacker.

bring it on, moro.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:54 pm

Look guys, sorry if I'm not with it, I'm in the kitchen today. Has he actually signed yet, officially (you know, done the shot with the shirt on and the scarf held aloft in front of the Kop?).
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:56 pm

waiting on the medical

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:57 pm

Red_Si wrote:He's a top class striker. I expect him to score a hat-trick on saturday.

i agree. as a matter of fact, why hasn't he scored 10 goals already? ???

what a waste of money :angry:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:59 pm

I'm gonna have no finger nails left by the end of the next couple of hours
At least it looks like - after all the waiting and speculation - we've finally landed some quality
Roll on the Spanish Rafalution
:)
SouthernScouser

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 1:59 pm

I'm gonna have no finger nails left by the end of the next couple of hours
At least it looks like - after all the waiting and speculation - we've finally landed some quality
Roll on the Spanish Rafalution
:)
SouthernScouser

Postby SouthernScouser » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:01 pm

sorry people

I got a gateway error message
thought it hadn't sent
Bloody computer software in work is SH*TE
SouthernScouser

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:24 pm

uefa.com

An English-style centre-forward whose greatest strength is his aerial ability, Fernando Morientes has scored goals wherever he has played.

National team
Morientes made his debut for Spain against Sweden in 1998, scoring twice in the first five minutes. He scored twice more against Bulgaria in the 1998 FIFA World Cup finals but was left out of the UEFA EURO 2000™ squad. The striker returned for Korea/Japan and was in the goals again, registering twice in the 3-1 win against Paraguay and once in the second-round defeat of the Republic of Ireland. Having largely been used as a substitute during qualifying for UEFA EURO 2004™, Morientes scored one of Spain's two goals in Portugal.

Club
Born in Cáceres in 1976, Morientes made his name at Real Zaragoza where he scored 28 goals in 66 games. He continued this form after moving to Madrid in July 1997, averaging almost a goal every other game in the championship-winning team of 2000/01. None, however, was more celebrated than his strike in the 3-0 win against Valencia CF in the 2000 UEFA Champions League final. Despite a record of 18 goals in 33 games in 2001/02, the arrival of Ronaldo meant that Morientes started only two league games the following year, making 16 substitute appearances and scoring five times. He joined AS Monaco FC on loan in September 2003 as a replacement for long-term injury victim Shabani Nonda.

2003/04: He scored ten Ligue 1 goals but Didier Deschamps' side could only finish third having led the table between September and March. It was in the Champions League that the striker really impressed, however, scoring nine times including both legs of the quarter-final against Madrid and the semi against Chelsea FC. The campaign ended in disappointment, with defeat by FC Porto in the final.

Did you know?
Morientes was paired with Raúl González, his future strike partner at Madrid, for Spain at the 1995 FIFA World Under-20 Championship.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:04 am

My only issue is whether he will be ready for the scum.

Real are on a break and are not training, he was waiting to do a medical so was probably not training (so as not to get hurt), so I am curious whether he is fit enough to go straight into a hot blooded LFCvMAN U match. If he does, I hope he gets a hatrick. Can't wait!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:07 am

moro v the scum...

a story from the guardian that suggests he will play.

i'm sure he's going to get a typical united kicking welcome to the prem.

andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:26 pm

Morientes can score goals with his head from all over the box. :D

If only he could play in the champions league.

Hopefully he'll get a chance next season
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:21 pm

the main thing that pleases me about the morientes transfer is that we finally have a bit of versatality in our attack now. He is very diffrent to the other forwards in the squad, and is more of a "traditional" striker than the likes of Baros and Cisse as he is strong, powerful a good finisher and is an aerial threat.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:30 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:the main thing that pleases me about the morientes transfer is that we finally have a bit of versatality in our attack now. He is very diffrent to the other forwards in the squad, and is more of a "traditional" striker than the likes of Baros and Cisse as he is strong, powerful a good finisher and is an aerial threat.

Not to mention being a proven player-manager...imagine being a replacement for both Djibril Cisse and Rafa Benitez with one signing :D
Big Niall wrote:Morientes is a top manager - has proved himself at the highest level
Last edited by Santa on Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:31 pm

Santa wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:the main thing that pleases me about the morientes transfer is that we finally have a bit of versatality in our attack now. He is very diffrent to the other forwards in the squad, and is more of a "traditional" striker than the likes of Baros and Cisse as he is strong, powerful a good finisher and is an aerial threat.

Not to mention being a proven player-manager...imagine being a replacement for both Djibril Cisse and Rafa Benitez with one signing :D
Big Niall wrote:Morientes is a top manager - has proved himself at the highest level

so unforgiving but brilliant all the same  :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion