....whats so good about morientes anyway? - Why do we want him.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kop Kid » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:51 pm

Im usually quite positive with my views but im a little confused as to why we want a guy thats sitting way behind our former hero Owen, on the bench.  He's 28 and has not really achieved much in his career and is not even good enough to make a poor madrid side.

I'd love to hear some positives about him, so plenty of views please....
Kop Kid

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:54 pm

God have mercy on your soul.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby the great one » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:56 pm

Kop Kid wrote:Im usually quite positive with my views but im a little confused as to why we want a guy thats sitting way behind our former hero Owen, on the bench.  He's 28 and has not really achieved much in his career and is not even good enough to make a poor madrid side.

I'd love to hear some positives about him, so plenty of views please....

Double the amount of champions league winners in our squad which is currenlty zero  :D  good in the air but is not gonna score 20 goals a season and thats a fact  :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:58 pm

:down: another Morientes topic :glare:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 pm

ok, here goes...

real madrid have 4 strikers (someone's gonna correct me here, i'm sure): ronaldo, raul, owen and morientes.
real madrid also have a policy of buying and playing 'galacticos', i.e. star players, glamorous players, expensive players, good looking but rubbish players etc etc.
ronaldo, raul and owen are classed as 'galacticos' and morientes is not. simple as that. nothing at all to do with the guys skill.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:01 pm

Morientes is a proven striker, he has a great football brain and has the ability to create chances for his team mates. While he does not score 20 goals a season, he does make an impact on the team and is very good in the Champions League. A very effective player, that is why Benitez has been wanting to buy him since this summer.

Fernando Morientes
An English-style centre-forward whose greatest strength is his aerial ability, Fernando Morientes has scored goals wherever he has played.

National team
Morientes made his debut for Spain against Sweden in 1998, scoring twice in the first five minutes. He scored twice more against Bulgaria in the 1998 FIFA World Cup finals but was left out of the UEFA EURO 2000™ squad. The striker returned for Korea/Japan and was in the goals again, registering twice in the 3-1 win against Paraguay and once in the second-round defeat of the Republic of Ireland. Having largely been used as a substitute during qualifying for UEFA EURO 2004™, Morientes scored one of Spain's two goals in Portugal.

Club
Born in Cáceres in 1976, Morientes made his name at Real Zaragoza where he scored 28 goals in 66 games. He continued this form after moving to Madrid in July 1997, averaging almost a goal every other game in the championship-winning team of 2000/01. None, however, was more celebrated than his strike in the 3-0 win against Valencia CF in the 2000 UEFA Champions League final. Despite a record of 18 goals in 33 games in 2001/02, the arrival of Ronaldo meant that Morientes started only two league games the following year, making 16 substitute appearances and scoring five times. He joined AS Monaco FC on loan in September 2003 as a replacement for long-term injury victim Shabani Nonda.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:11 pm

a poor madrid side with one of the worlds greats in Ronaldo in the squad, Englands finest and former europian player of the year Michael Owen and one of th top Scorers in Spain nearly evrey season for the last 8 who happens to be more to Madrid than Fowler was to Liverpool...

Yeah must be ****** if he can't get a game ???
115-1073096938

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:12 pm

stu_the_red wrote:a poor madrid side with one of the worlds greats in Ronaldo in the squad, Englands finest and former europian player of the year Michael Owen and one of th top Scorers in Spain nearly evrey season for the last 8 who happens to be more to Madrid than Fowler was to Liverpool...

Classic Stu.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:12 pm

If Morientes is nothing to get excited about then we really do have problems. Aside from signing one of the top half dozen players on the planet we are looking at having one of the best forwards anywhere. I do not know whats happening at Madrid but this guy is a top class striker. If we manage to do the deal I for one will be very happy as Im confident he will be a huge success at Liverpool.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:14 pm

A.B. wrote:God have mercy on your soul.

see this is were you could of held that in and try and stated something alittle more positive than that
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:17 pm

A.B. wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:a poor madrid side with one of the worlds greats in Ronaldo in the squad, Englands finest and former europian player of the year Michael Owen and one of th top Scorers in Spain nearly evrey season for the last 8 who happens to be more to Madrid than Fowler was to Liverpool...

Classic Stu.

lol
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:17 pm

:blues: Stop the bickering you 2 :blues:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:20 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote: :blues: Stop the bickering you 2 :blues:

that one was funny though
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:43 pm

Stevie on morientes.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has welcomed the possible arrival of Spanish star Fernando Morientes.

Gerrard has admitted he would love to see the arrival of El Moro - who is being strongly tipped to move to Anfield when the transfer window opens in January.

The Reds have already had one bid rejected by Real Madrid - but talks are believed to be ongoing and a deal could be struck within days, although there is also interest from other sides including Monaco.

The England star has now heralded Morientes's potential signing.

"He is a great player and scores in the league and cup competitions and in the Champions League," Gerrard told Sky Sports.

"I don't think he can play this season, but if we are able to get him then we get a great player.

"We have Spanish coaches and players, we have four of them already they will help him settle.

"We have a great team spirit here and I am sure if he did come then he would settle well."

Gerrard's own situation is continually under the spotlight, but he has again insisted he has no plans to quit.

"I am signed here for this season and another two, there is no situation it always happens at this time of the year," he continued.

When asked if he would be staying he replied: "Yes."

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:45 pm

Michael Owen also said he was going to sign a new contract and look what happened.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion