Morientes. - Is he any good?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:57 am

This is the best news in ages, I've wanted us to sign this guy for a few seasons but never thought he would come to us, we looked weak in attack tonight but when Baros came on he put some spark into the game, Baros and Morientes it such a tasty partnership, BRING ON MAN U!!! :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:17 am

He's fairly stong. A good header of the ball.

He's an EXCELLENT finisher. Probably a similar level to Ruud van Nistlerooy. His awarness and vision are decent but not class but he does like to link up with other players and play 1-2's and quick flicks. His movement is extremely clever and penatrative. I can't really say much more than that, but thats what i can say from seeing on television. A very very good player indeed. Will certainly be an improvement.

I'd rather have had Nico Anelka personally, but any improvement is a welcome one and i think he could be a good addition to the squad.

Not quite top class, but very high quality player from what i've seen.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:28 am

Agree with most of that stu, his link up play is very good and himself and Baros should be a good pairing both offering something different. Baros seems to play well with another striker doing the hard work in the air and providing good link up play, can't remeber what game it was but a few games ago Mellor played particularly well in this role and Baros flourished, just imagine Morientes doing that job.

Morientes is also the target man that we have always wanted, as he is superb in the air - I remeber watching him score 5 goals in a league match for Madrid a few years ago, all scored with his head I seem to remember. And as stu said his finsihing is excellent.

fantastic signing. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:30 am

with baros i think it will be a good strike force, but what about champions league?  Will Rafa bring in another stirker...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:45 am

He's fairly stong. A good header of the ball.

He's an EXCELLENT finisher. Probably a similar level to Ruud van Nistlerooy. His awarness and vision are decent but not class but he does like to link up with other players and play 1-2's and quick flicks. His movement is extremely clever and penatrative. I can't really say much more than that, but thats what i can say from seeing on television. A very very good player indeed. Will certainly be an improvement.

I'd rather have had Nico Anelka personally, but any improvement is a welcome one and i think he could be a good addition to the squad.

Not quite top class, but very high quality player from what i've seen.

Stu, I disagree about Morientes not being a top class player. Now don't lose have go at me because I can't afford of being banned again.

Morientes is a world class player, he has won championships,medals,etc.... He's a great effective player, not a fox in box but he scores from the clear chances he has. He's more than a high quality player in my opinion

Don't rule out us signing Nicholas Anelka as I think that we can sign him as well. One striker is not good enough, not with the injuries we have been having and will probably continue to have. But like I said don't flip out on me because I disagree, you're going to have to learn what opinion is even if it may sound stupid to you or others.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:49 am

Well signing another striker is still very much on cards i think considering we never replaced Owen and the future Cisse is uncertain
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:44 am

My mum says he is like sheringham ...............only better looking  !! :D :D :D
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 am

I'd love us to sign Anelka as well but I think he will be out of our price range considering were a bit straped lately :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:39 am

If he signs today will he be eligible to play on saturday? Anyone know?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:43 am

as long as its all done and dusted by the close of business on friday he can play on saturday. we can alll breath easier :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:45 am

I heard it has to be completed by Thursday for him to be elegable for the Man U game? ???
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:55 am

12pm the day before a game is the Premeirship cut off date....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:19 am

:cool: Good stuff, I was readin the manc 606 message board and they where saying, why didnt fergie put a bid in for him, to snatch him from us :D .
Ha pity them fools, hope we put one over them on saturday.
I wasnt here when we played chelsea so I dont know where the topics are, but I would just like to say I am very disgusted in Lampard :angry: .
That tackle on Alonso was premeditated and he knew exactly what he was doing taking out our best player, he wouldnt do it to Gerrard as he wants him at chelsea, he knew to destroy our midfield, and we will struggle without Xabi now for a few months.
That way Stevie may go there way as we have a long list of injuries to our side.
Sorry for going off topic but had to get it off my chest :angry:
Also Andy Gray saying that did no way deserve a yellow card, f@ck off he broke his ankle and put him out for 3 months, biast commentators grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry: .
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:43 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote: :cool: Good stuff, I was readin the manc 606 message board and they where saying, why didnt fergie put a bid in for him, to snatch him from us :D .
Ha pity them fools, hope we put one over them on saturday.
I wasnt here when we played chelsea so I dont know where the topics are, but I would just like to say I am very disgusted in Lampard :angry: .
That tackle on Alonso was premeditated and he knew exactly what he was doing taking out our best player, he wouldnt do it to Gerrard as he wants him at chelsea, he knew to destroy our midfield, and we will struggle without Xabi now for a few months.
That way Stevie may go there way as we have a long list of injuries to our side.
Sorry for going off topic but had to get it off my chest :angry:
Also Andy Gray saying that did no way deserve a yellow card, f@ck off he broke his ankle and put him out for 3 months, biast commentators grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry: .

Welcom back CGGY, I have missed your passion.

1)   I hope we beat the Manc Tw@ts as well

2)   Lampards tackle was disgraceful, and he has gone well down in my estimations.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:07 am

They said it's just a matter of medical examination and he can sign the deal...
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion