Mark gonzalez...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:14 pm

Mark gonzalez is a poor mans Ronaldo...hopfully in time he'll improve, but he's already had the best part of 1 season
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAGE UK » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:01 am

We have not seen enough of mark Gonzalez to judge him he has the potential to be a very good player and he is young enough to prove it.
But with the takeover I can see him just being pushed aside like a lot of the players we have got now.
And the youngsters will get pushed aside for big names and big money players with out a second glance believe me.
LIVERPOOL FC    ….> NOW THAT’S ENTERTAINMENT <…
RAGE UK

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:34 am

RAGE UK wrote:We have not seen enough of mark Gonzalez to judge him he has the potential to be a very good player and he is young enough to prove it.
But with the takeover I can see him just being pushed aside like a lot of the players we have got now.
And the youngsters will get pushed aside for big names and big money players with out a second glance believe me.

We havent seen enough of him thats correct Rage. But you usually can tell within a few performances whether a player has 'got it'. For me in the performances I've seen he doesnt look nearly as good as he was hyped up to be in the summer.
I think and I would like to think I'm wrong is that he's going to be another squad player, he doesnt look good enough to warrant left mid at the moment. Which is why I think Rafa really has to go out now and buy "well known quality players". Rafa'd buffed up the youth and the squad with the relevant players, but now he should look at buffing up the first team. I think the odds are less favourable of finding an almost obscure player like Gonzalez and hoping he's going to make an impact on the first team. I think Rafa will have a better chance of improving the first team with established quality, rather than promise.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:18 am

The problem with foreign imports like Gonzalez, which also applied under GH to Le Tallec and Pongolle, is that we say "give them time to settle", yet he's not really getting the games he needs to bring his level up, either for the first team or the reserves.

It's all very well saying it takes time for a player to get used to the pace of the Premiership, but he's only actually made 16 league appearances, 9 of which were as sub. I don't see how a player can get used to the pace of a league without being given a sustained run playing in it, as opposed to bitty starts and sub appearances, in many cases with 2 or 3 game breaks in between.
ivor_the_injun

Postby bigmick » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:26 am

It has to be said that his first season after all the hype has been very disappointing. "Give him time to settle" is all very well but he has shown very little, very few glimpses to set the pulse racing in anticipation of a second season. Players such as Garcia, Alonso and Kuyt are obviously quality and you could see within fifteen minutes of their debut that this was the case. In my opinion Aurelio, and now in everyones opinion Agger have shown enough to give the impression that when their acclimatisation to English football is complete they will be really good players. Gonzales however hasn't done so for me, and the suspicion from here is that he will prove to be simply not good enough for the level of football he finds himself in. I may of course be wrong but I don't think I am on this one.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:36 am

But there's the problem. I've personally not been convinced by the guy, but there is that nagging feeling that we've been watching a kid operating at 50% of his ability, not really playing anything approaching his natural game.

Do you back your investment and give him a month and a half run of starts, or do you just call it money spent poorly, bench him and appeal for suitors elsewhere?

My concern is that we'll get to this stage next season, and it'll be much the same story - bitty appearances here and there - and suddenly we've been paying his salary for 18 months.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:46 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:But there's the problem. I've personally not been convinced by the guy, but there is that nagging feeling that we've been watching a kid operating at 50% of his ability, not really playing anything approaching his natural game.

Do you back your investment and give him a month and a half run of starts, or do you just call it money spent poorly, bench him and appeal for suitors elsewhere?

My concern is that we'll get to this stage next season, and it'll be much the same story - bitty appearances here and there - and suddenly we've been paying his salary for 18 months.

Good questions there.

In my own opinion and like I said before, you can usually tell if a player is "that good" in his first few appearances. He may not be operating to his full potential, but 50% is a low number to suspect.

From watching his game the only other thing you could say that is hindering his game is his confidence. But he doesnt have the look of a breathtaking player, I'm sure we would of seen it by now. Dare I say it he looks a one trick pony, like JAR knnocking the ball past the defender and trying to beat him for pace, which he doesnt have as much as we were led to believe.

I cant remember the fee paid for him, but certainly at this stage I'd have to put it down to a gamble from the manager that hasnt paid off, therefore money spent poorly.
66-1112520797

Postby a999d » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:24 pm

hey guys>> give the  man chance he young and he has no experience >> give him time this the first season > and i hope benetiz give him more chances
a999d

Postby crouchaldinho » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:53 pm

I'm also of the thinking that MG hasn't really had the opportunity he needed to 'settle' into life in the premiership. Let's be honest, for a young lad who's come over to a new country, new language to learn (although there are plenty at liverpool who can speak in Spanish to him) and a completely new style of football to get used to.

IMO I think he's suffered from not really having a run of games. For example, look at Pennant at the start of the season - he was starting the odd game, but by and large, Stevie was getting the nod on the right wing so we could accommodate Momo & Alonso in the middle - but now he's had a run of games, it's clearly visible that he's playing with a lot more confidence in his own ability. I mean, from seeing his performances in his first few games, there were a lot of us doubting that he had it in him to beat a player, get to the byline and put a good ball in, but his run to set up Bellamy's goal against toon was top notch, and i dont think anyone will argue with me when i say that his recent form is down to getting a run of games under his belt.

Another example i would give would be Sissoko. Adittedly he did look the part almost immediately (although a little rough around the edges), but he came in last season, and got a good run of games from the off - which i believe helped him settle in quickly.

I reckon Gonzo should come good. He's been a bit unlucky with a few injuries in his debut season for us, but i reckon if he can stay at full fitness for a bit, and get a few consecutive games, we'll all see why Rafa has confidence in the lad.
crouchaldinho

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 pm

When all is said and done at the end of the season it has to be..........out.. renia (not good enough)
                    aurello( not good enough)
                    hypia  (too slow)
                    zenden(not good enough)
                    gonzo  (not good enough)
                    pennant 9not good enough)
                    crouch  (not good enough)
     I know this will sound a bit drastic but if we want to be taken as serious contenders for the title then major surgery is required. ould anyone care to add anymore names to this list?. :oops:
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:47 pm

Gonzalez has done absolutely F'UCK ALL to convince me that he's anywhere near to deserving a Liverpool shirt .

Just how f'ucking long do we have to give players to "settle in" ? . Too f'ucking long in my opinion .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:03 pm

The problem is too many of them are "too fukking settled" they dont put in enough effort...and live on inflated reputations and ego's.  ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Crouchamania » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Gonzalez has done absolutely F'UCK ALL to convince me that he's anywhere near to deserving a Liverpool shirt .

Just how f'ucking long do we have to give players to "settle in" ? . Too f'ucking long in my opinion .

Fair comment and i won't disagree with any of it but he DID score the crucial goal against Maccabi Haifa and got the 1st against Spurs.

Maybe he just needs a little more time to settle in and he'll be as good as we know he can be.
RIP Drummerphil YNWA

JFT96 Don't buy The S*n

Crouchamania

Postby metalhead » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:12 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Gonzalez has done absolutely F'UCK ALL to convince me that he's anywhere near to deserving a Liverpool shirt .

Ditto.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:24 pm

why jump on his back?? what good does it do??

hes a young lad trying to settle into a new culture it hasn't helped that hes had lots of niggling injuries

he has talent i have seen him play very well in spain and for chile on several ocassions give him more time we could be rewarded with a great player
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion