Mark gonzalez - Be a red with in 2 weeks

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:39 am

In fact, I said pretty much the same thing about him 3 weeks ago or so, and nobody had a go with me because of that.

Erica just put some facts over the table which are true. El Stinger, I know you have seen highlighting for the Universidad Catolica de Chile (I think). But those leagues with Colo Colo and the U, slower pace, long sized slow grass of Chile, doesn't necessarily imply a success in Europe. For an obvious example, take Robinho's case in Real Madrid. Marvelling in America, disapointing in Madrid (so far).

All I know aout MarK Gonzalez is that he did not manage to impress me in the only game he has played against Real Sociedad (last season, then the were relegated), that he's had an injury, and that he plays for Albacete in segunda now. Now I know he was decent in the U. Well, for me tryumphing in Anfield is not an easy task.

If you ask me if I feel he's going to be a legend? No, that happens from time to time, only. If you ask me if I feel he's going to be useful? I'm pretty sure of that, Rafa has a good eye. But I think Rafa is constructing Liverpool not for a single year, but a project of many years, and this might be an interesting player for the future. Of course I wish he became a legend from moment one! that would be good for us, but that's difficult.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:15 am

Hang on, whos saying he is going to be a legend at Liverpool? I didn't make that assumption. Will he be a great player for Liverpool? Yes, I can vouch for that. Bit harsh on Erica? Maybe, but there is a lot of B/S on this site with generalisations and ridiculous comments. Maybe I'm on the defensive cos I've seen the guy play, and I am a fan, he is a quick player. He won't be an instant success, he's got to get match fit, but I can see him taking Kewell's position, easy. He is a world above Kewell, and I rate Harry. That's how much I see Gonzo being a success at LFC.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kid a » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:36 am

A.B. wrote:Erica, Gonzalez was the first option. That was before we were linked with Figo,Simao,etc.... Benitez rates him and he will give Zenden,Kewell,Riise a run for their money on the left flank.

I don't get how your comment makes any sense, A.B. As you seem to know, Gonzalez is a left-sided player and who has said that left wing is his best position. How does he factor into anything connecting Figo, Simao?? If Gonzalez had been signed in the summer, we would still be on the lookout for a right winger.  Figo, Simao can play on either flank. I haven't seen it said anywhere that Gonzalez can and has done the same effectively. How is he the first option?? If you were talking about that he's always been a target for Rafa, then whatever. This is true. If Rafa had an endless supply of money and needed a left-sided midfieler, though, things might be different.

Sabre, was Robinho dissapointing in his debut game against Cadiz?? No, Madrid fans probably went nuts after that game. While Robinho hasn't done incredibly well and had the same affect afterwards, he's shown his class here and there when played. Maybe not to live up to his reputation, but yeah. I've never seen him play absolutely terribly, that I can remember. You want to know who has been dissapointing for Madrid?? Sergio Ramos. What a joke so far for his price tag. Baptista doesn't offer much when and where he's played either. Robinho will end up justifying his price tag, I don't see that in Ramos or Baptista (if continued to be used in that role) so far.

I haven't seen Mark Gonzalez play. Maybe I have, he just hasn't stood out. I've seen Chile play a few times in the last couple of years, if he played at any point...he never stood out to me. The only player I can remember semi being impressed with is a chubby striker with a beard and a tat on his arm. I think his name is Navas, not sure. Anyway, not like I was looking out for him or anything. Just saying. Also, alot of you people are quick to jump on Rafa's quote saying that he's the best player in Chile. I've only heard Rafa say this. Everyone else has just labeled him a hot prospect with potential (not exactly a legend yet), that's all I am excited about him as. I don't think he's going to become an instant legend like some of you do. He will be introduced in the final 10-20 minutes of most games if played this season, I think. It takes times to adjust to the Premiership when you're coming from a top league in Europe, Gonzalez was out for a long time through an injury and his team is in the second division of Spain now. Big step up. Nonetheless, he sounds like an exciting player..
Kid a

Postby Sabre » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:10 am

Hang on, whos saying he is going to be a legend at Liverpool? I didn't make that assumption.

Yes sorry you are right. The only comment aimed for you was concerning you know him from the Chilean guy. The comment about legend, was aimed to those who I read they were that optimistic about him (I cannot remember right now the names)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:22 am

Dont think any of us have seen him play have we?
He's only what 19?
He wont come straight into the first tem anyway, he will have a few games with the reserves I should imagine.
Even though I havent seen him play, just seen some goals that he has scored on a montage, he will probably be in the C Ronaldo mold I should imagine.
He also speak very good english he was born in South Africa, so thats one hurdle already over come.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mighty mo » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:24 am

he is 23 years old!
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Erica » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:43 am

According to this page: http://futbol.sportec.es/portald....g=14481

He was born in 1984. Then he is 21.
Erica

Postby el_stinger » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:48 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Dont think any of us have seen him play have we?
He's only what 19?
He wont come straight into the first tem anyway, he will have a few games with the reserves I should imagine.
Even though I havent seen him play, just seen some goals that he has scored on a montage, he will probably be in the C Ronaldo mold I should imagine.
He also speak very good english he was born in South Africa, so thats one hurdle already over come.

LOL who are you talking about CGGY?
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:54 am

el_stinger wrote:
He's only what 19?

Who else? Look at the thread name.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:15 am

MilitiaRusher wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
He's only what 19?

he's not 19, was what i was reffering to genius.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scott P » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:39 am

i cant see Speedy saying he is coming if he hadn't heard officially that he was!! it will be good for him to train with us coming back from injury and get use to playing with everyone else!! if he does plauy i cant see it being till towards the end of the season!!
Scott P

Postby MilitiaRusher » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:39 am

el_stinger wrote:
MilitiaRusher wrote:
el_stinger wrote:
He's only what 19?

he's not 19, was what i was reffering to genius.

Who esle could Lynds be talking about?
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:46 am

el_stinger wrote:he's not 19, was what i was reffering to genius.

Well he certainly looks it. :p

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:48 am

I think people are passing judgement without even seeing the lad play, ok I haven't seen him play but his description sounds great and I look forward to seeing the lad put a red shirt on, after all Rafa has followed this lad for a while and wanted to sign him after a long injuriy so he must be a good player :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scott P » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:52 am

its nice to see a player really wanting to come to us ASAP. He knows he will have to prove himself but he will be fine once he adjusts to the pace and style of the prem, at least when he comes rafa can talk with him to let him know what he wants him to do, personally i cant wait to see him play for us
Scott P

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion