Mark gonzalez... - First impressions?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:55 pm

Yes I know the guy has only just signed but I just wandered what you have made of him so far? From what you have seen, does he strike you as a guy who can effect games for us in the long term?

He came here with a lot of promise. Infact in many ways, I think he was hyped-up too much before he came to us and lots of people were expecting an immediate impact but lets just wait and see. From what i've seen he looks to have a lot of promise but he appears a bit lightweight and tends to have a poor product in the final third a lot of the time.

I've generally been quite impressed though. His work rate is top quality and he's showing a few signs in each game. Some qualities in him will erupt when he's a bit more used to us and we're more used to him. Ok I've been a bit disappointed with his delivery at times but that will come with the more games he plays.

The long and short of it is, when Kewell comes back (anybody know when that will be by the way?) who would be your first choice left sided midfielder? I suppose it's a good conundrum to have in many ways.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:59 pm

he's fast but i want to see him taking on defenders more, its so wasted to see him wasting such an asset. I like to see Alonso spreading the ball into an empty space for him to run, its so effective to take on slow defenders though :D Only time will tell
onizukaeikichi

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:01 pm

I think much of his success depends much on how we play and how his team mates make use of him. He needs to be set free to run at opponents. To me it seems like our midfield are so unfamiliar with having quick wingers that they dont know how to make use of them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Red H » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:17 pm

Good question.  I think the new lad might have the edge on effort and pace, if not skill.  It is possible the may even play together in the same formation as wednesday, but with Kewell for Garcia.
Red H

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:35 pm

His game has been under par so far, and no I don't think that that's because the pace of the premiership and all that. He's just that kind of player who gets his best a bit later than others.

He's not a big dribbler, but he's more accurate passing and controling than what he has showed so far. I think that we will be praising him in the next 5 games. Do not think his first matches in RS were absolutelly brilliant.

You can quote me on this, and this time I won't be wrong like with Morientes :D , He'll be an utter success
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:43 pm

it not so bad him being hyped when it is rafa it doing imo!

he will take his settling down period like all imports do,then we can judge!!

harry kewell was a new signing last year and went along way with wiping the slate clean with a lot of fans who thought he had no heart for his boyhood club, me included

a fit harry kewell would make it into lot of first teams in the epl and i would go for him at the moment, what must speedy think when he watched things like what thatcher did last night he is going to bottle challanges for a while imo, but like you said st mick with xabi slotting passes to him and pennant we have the ability to get teams turned which will be a great help when lfc decide to start playing this year and we can go a game without losing a player
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:43 pm

Kewell is deffo 1st choice for me when he comes back.

Gonzales like park see joon (SP ?) needs 1 season to get up to mark with the premier league  as this is the best league in the world....and thus players will find it hard to perform here.

But Gonzales has the potential to be a good winger here...he just needs time.
Last edited by The_Rock on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:50 pm

I think people who hadn't seen him had a few misconceptions about him. He's not particularly skillful and i think people we're expecting a Cristiano Ronaldo type player to come in and murder every full back he played against which was never going to happen.

He is direct and fast and works his plumbs off. He drifts out of games a bit too much and is quite weak but he's 21 and in a new league and hasn't done too badly. There is a lot of promise there and I think he'll be our first choice left winger next season after Harry moves on. I'd expect that duty to be shared a bit this season with Fabio and Harry.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:55 pm

he's a player who offers a different approach of attack, he's fast, works very hard, and knows better when and how to shoot. Yes his goal rates hasn't shown anything yet, but im convinced he will get used to scoring in premiereship soon. he's a bit lightweight too, but as you know you he's receiving some appropriate training methods to improve. Anyway, i think the competition amongst the left mids will only be a good headache to walk through this busy season.
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:57 pm

He's looked a bit apprehensive to me. The guy's clearly got pace, but he's only showing it in fits and starts at the moment, which has allowed the opposing right back to boss him a bit.

Certainly not a poor start, by any means, and the kid's certainly repaid a big portion of his fee with his late goal at home against Maccabi Haifi, but I think maybe he's lacking the confidence to really express himself right now. I'm sure it'll come, but the goal apart, he's not really exploded into life yet.

To be honest, I think the injury to Riise has done him a favour. Aurelio has actually impressed me more on the left of midfield thus far.
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:18 pm

To be honest, he's very similar to Riise in that he has a hammer of a left foot, pace to burn but is not the archetypal left winger. From what I've seen he doesn't go to the line enough but he has fine touch and good skill, he's also decent in the air.

He's young but he's already had a serious knee injury if I'm not mistaken. I'll give him till christamas before making a decision on him.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:21 pm

He tends to cross early, yes. I'm not sure if the word for his attitude is "apprehensive" but perhaps "anxious to please". Anyway I think he'll settle soon enough.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:24 pm

Kewell when fit is a better player than gonzales is... no doubt about that !
Thing is... they are different types of players and from what i'v seen of gonzales... would like him to stay as our first choice in the left flank even when kewell makes his return !
He's not skillfull, but with the pace he has, he can beat defenders and play in some great balls from down the line.... he needs to work a lil on his delivery, but given a few more games in the epl, i think he'll start showing what a good player he is....
one more thing... now that it seems that we'll be starting Gerrard in the right midfield role again this season, i think that our formation suits gonzales alot more than it does kewell !
If gonzales doesnt play well in the next 4, 5 games though.... would like to see kewell start instead !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:29 pm

I have to say i'm not yet convinced by Gonzalez or Aurelio. Thats obviously not to say they won't come good for us, these things take time and i can see them becoming great assets. Each of the games i've seen Aurelio in he has given the ball away several times and made bad passes, something that defenders can't afford to do. His tackling seems good though and i'm sure with time he'll become a valuable asset. Gonzales on the other hand seems to want to hang onto the ball for too long sometimes and i think with his pace if he tried some one two type passing more often he would get further. He should become a very good player though with his pace and ball control.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:30 pm

He will settle in.

He's played in 3 competitve games (one just for 8 minutes or so) and he's scored 1 goal, now thats not a bad return for a 21 year old left winger in his first season at his new club, playing in the biggest league in the world.

have faith.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion