MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 23rd march  ko 13:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bammo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 am

If ref's were mic'd up for everyone to hear we'd have a couple of weeks of sendings off followed by respect for refs.

Rooney, Cole et al wouldn't be so quick to swear if they knew they not only had a fine and ban but were also made to publicly apologise for their behaviour after games. It would make post-match interviews hilarious though :D
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:27 am

JBG wrote:The match yesterday was lost in the first 30 minutes: both sides lined up with a similar formation and in my eyes the crucial battle line was the Alonso/Mascherano v. Anderson/Carrick duel and in being comprehensively outplayed by UTD in this area the game was won and lost. Both Alonso and Mascherano weren't at the races at all and Carrick and Anderson started to dominate midfield, with Carrick spraying passes around and Anderson breaking from deep to support the attack. In my view it's as simple as that, regardless of what happened later with Mascherano, losing that battle lost the game.

The other worrying aspect is that all over the field Ferguson/Quiorez comprehensively out thought Benitez. UTD bisected our centre halves a couple of times before the first goal went in with Anderson's drives from deep and Rooney's clever runs. UTD also punished Reina's biggest weakness by challenging him on crosses and they also won the majority of the set plays.

Sadly Mascherano lost the plot entirely and that distracted from the simple and cold fact that UTD pawned us all over the park. :(

Nice analysis JBG.... and pretty much spot on.

This has been Utd's tactic for a fair few years whenever they play against us. They outpace, outmuscle and niggle us in the heart of our midfield. Once that part of our game is neutralised, we're done for, as we're no threat down the wings and hence get our attackers isolated.

Our achilles heel has always been (in the last few years, I mean) teams that play a direct, pacey and tough brand of football.

They beat us fair and square and I have no complaints.... dissapointed to be sure, but no real complaints . Even before Masch got himself sent off, they were on top. We were out-thought, out-paced and out-played.

I am happy that Rafa stuck to the same team and formation as it shows that he's able to be more flexible with his philosophy recently but in the cold light of day and with the benefit of a HUGE pinch of hindsight, this was probably not the game to go for a 4-2-3-1 formation. Largely due to our lack of quality and toughness in the 4 wide attacking and defending roles.... and the lack of pace in the defensive central midfielders we had on the day. I was happy when I saw the starting line-up but was spectacularly proven to be wrong as the game wore on.

Against Utd, we should have probably gone with a 4-5-1 and tried to dominate the centre of the park and hit them on the counter when the opportunity arised.... Seeing as they probably needed to win the game more than us (to keep the pressure on Arsenal), they would have probably pressed forward in numbers and maybe we could have caught them on the break. Isn't hindsight wonderful?   :glare:

On the Masch issue, without knowing what actually was said, I must say that the lad let himself and the team down on the day. Should have shown a little more maturity and awareness of the situation. Undoubtedly, the ref was a grade "A" tw@t but he probably should not have put himself in such a compromising situation.
ConnO'var

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:46 am

not commented on the game yet but here goes.

even before the sending off we were never at the races to be fair, there short and not very sweet.

as for the sending off, mash should have shut up and got on with it, i am forever calling for dissent to stop and sadly it was one of out players who continued it after his booking, as for the second yellow, well harsh maybe for what he said but on the other hand what was he doing even going over when he was already booked?

now to red nose, w@nker, just look at his players over the years, keane, rooney et al, they are just mimicking you you whiskey nosed ref buying cheating kunt.

so back to reality, we had a good run and came unstuck against a better team, lets beat the bitters and then concentrate on arsenal and suffer the indignity of the scum coming within one title of us
112-1077774096

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:54 am

peewee wrote:not commented on the game yet but here goes.

even before the sending off we were never at the races to be fair, there short and not very sweet.

as for the sending off, mash should have shut up and got on with it, i am forever calling for dissent to stop and sadly it was one of out players who continued it after his booking, as for the second yellow, well harsh maybe for what he said but on the other hand what was he doing even going over when he was already booked?

now to red nose, w@nker, just look at his players over the years, keane, rooney et al, they are just mimicking you you whiskey nosed ref buying cheating kunt.

so back to reality, we had a good run and came unstuck against a better team, lets beat the bitters and then concentrate on arsenal and suffer the indignity of the scum coming within one title of us

And not a word about Rafa or Kuyt  :D
LFC2007

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:55 am

LFC2007 wrote:

no complaints with rafa on sunday mate apart from the fact he picked kuyt, and kuyt was his usual inefective self.

is that better    :D
112-1077774096

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 am

That's more like it  :D
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 am

peewee wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:

no complaints with rafa on sunday mate apart from the fact he picked kuyt, and kuyt was his usual inefective self.

is that better    :D

:D  :D
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:29 am

JBG wrote:The match yesterday was lost in the first 30 minutes: both sides lined up with a similar formation and in my eyes the crucial battle line was the Alonso/Mascherano v. Anderson/Carrick duel and in being comprehensively outplayed by UTD in this area the game was won and lost. Both Alonso and Mascherano weren't at the races at all and Carrick and Anderson started to dominate midfield, with Carrick spraying passes around and Anderson breaking from deep to support the attack. In my view it's as simple as that, regardless of what happened later with Mascherano, losing that battle lost the game.

The other worrying aspect is that all over the field Ferguson/Quiorez comprehensively out thought Benitez. UTD bisected our centre halves a couple of times before the first goal went in with Anderson's drives from deep and Rooney's clever runs. UTD also punished Reina's biggest weakness by challenging him on crosses and they also won the majority of the set plays.

Sadly Mascherano lost the plot entirely and that distracted from the simple and cold fact that UTD pawned us all over the park. :(

Agreed on that.

I'd just add though our defence were at 6s' and 7s' out there too. There was no composure amongst the two center halves, and they were geting stretched and panicky.

Yes Mascha and Alonso were overrun, but I dont think Gerrard helped out atall on Sunday. He simply bottled it, his passing was wayward. And instead of trying to take the game game by the scruff of the neck, like he can against the other 17 teams in the league. He decides to blend in with the play, rather than stand out from it.

Mentally Gerrard is pretty weak, he lets opposition fans get to him. He gets taunted by the bitters and the Mancs, and doesnt cope, he'd rather hide than go out there and try something. Its like hes worried hes going to get taunted if he trys to do something on the pitch and it doesnt come off.

Gerrard - Needs more bottle in hostle stadiums ala Woodison & Old toilet.
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:11 am

Its not that we lost to Manchester United at Old Trafford, its the spastic way we always seem to lose to them.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:49 am

babu wrote:Its not that we lost to Manchester United at Old Trafford, its the spastic way we always seem to lose to them.

loool very nicely put  :laugh:
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:11 pm

MASCHERANO DID NOTHING WRONG, NOTHING, IT IS NOT A FOOTBALLING CRIME TO SPEAK TO THE REF, HE DID NOT SWEAR OR TOUCH THE REF

Posters on here are trying to take some kind of higher ground and trying to show how impartially they can assess the game by agreeing with the sending off are pathetic and a disgrace. On the three occassions Mascher spoke to the ref, not once (i watched a re-run of the first half) did he swear, it was the usual ref bollox, book/send off a foreigner who's not too famous or a big name in the EPL. Our own SG said 'you're taking the p iss ref' later in the game, well book him, Ferdinand said something later which started with 'Fck.......' no booking, Rooney had his usual 'Fck.......fck......' fair enough he doesn't know many other words, but all this was OK. The ref lost HIS head, he was writing the yellow before Mascher even finished his first sentence.

FWIW we did well for a period in the second half pushed them back and created a few openings, although the result and performance means little to me when we have been hadicapped by the referee. I am getting a little sick and tired of SG's lack of leadership on the pitch, i am not talking about his playing ability, which is top drawer, but HE IS NOT A TOP CAPTAIN, he is a weak leader, and NEVER helps out a team mate, or uses his reputation to intimidate refs, (The Villa game is hardly the same thing). I am starting to think Nannys thread has been photoshopped, because SG's balls dissappear in tough situations where other big names, (especially English) are playing.

If i was MAscherano i'd have had a go at the other players for not showing a set of bollox, they should have all been speaking (note not shouting or swearing) to the ref, they left him out to dry.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:19 pm

no comment :(
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:46 pm

peewee wrote:suffer the indignity of the scum coming within one title of us

that kills me. if they over take us.... i dont know what i wil do. and its looking more and more likely.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I think the Mascher sending off is being used as a get out of jail free card by some people to divert attention away from our getting outclassed, outplayed and totally bottling it. The mancs where already well on top and a goal up when Mascherano walked. The only thing Mascher going changed, is it gave us something to moan about besides the team.

We are further away from the mancs now than we have been in 40 years, I can't remember us EVER being so out played by the mancs as we have been the last few years at OT. 

Our much vaunted midfield was played off the park by Anderson, Scholes and Carrick even before Masher was sent off.

As for the sending off ..... It was wrong, and I think the ref just lost the plot. I have thought for a while that refs are giving the benefit of the doubt to home grown players rather than the foreign imports. If Gerrard had been kicked like Torres was, there would have been a booking for a manc player, not Torres, and if it had been Carra that had approached the ref rather than Mascher he wouldn't have been booked.

From what I saw Mascher did nothing wrong apart from question a bad decision.... something players do EVERY GAME. Mascher has been sailing close to the wind for a while now (especially Inter at Anfield) so maybe its better it happen against the mancs in a competion we can't win ,rather than in Europe in a competition we still might win.

We were out thought tactically, and completely outplayed by the mancs.
account deleted by request

Postby maguskwt » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 pm

wow... that's a very good and objective post in a long while peewee...  :D

j/k
:blush:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion