MANCHESTER UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 23rd march  ko 13:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Reg wrote:Remember Roy Keane ??

Yeah remember him. Its a shame Reg, but times have changed mate, and his moanin'd end up wi the same result now. All I wanna see is what happens this wknd across the premiership with all the refs. Will Rooney be able to keep hs gob shut or will the ref have the ba!!$ to send him for an early bath? I somehow doubt it, cuz this has caused jus as much reaction as cashley coles did, so now the refs wont know which pocket the cards shud be in, let alone whose name to write on em.

Mascherano has sufferred for one mans noteriety and another mans stupidity along with his own, and unfortunately he could well be the only one to suffer. Oh for the days of Jack Taylor (remember him??) when a ref did have some kinda respect and did the job they we paid to do.

Refs have - and will - always make mistakes, but at least they used to be honest errors as opposed to 'look at me, I wont stand this sh!t' to$$ers of today. Bennett deserves to be looked at, and hopefully Hackett can instill some kinda sense into these little hitlerites before they start issuin 3 reds a game.

Another one to 'remember' is a few seasons back when refs were told to clamp down on everythin and so many players got yellow and red cards there was an emergency meetin to bring it to a halt.

But lets not get away from sundy's game, we didnt lose JUS becuz of bennett, he merely helped them win.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:12 pm

Reg wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Reg wrote:Remember Roy Keane ??

got kicked out of the national team for a falling out with the coach? Though he was aboce everyone else at the Republic of ireland ? Yea what abt him?

His constant abuse of refs, who never took action and Paul Ince, Giggs etc.. come to think of it.

Fouled mouthed yob.

Eboue is the same now for arsenal, and so are the entire cheatski footy team... be interesting to see if other refs take as hard a stance
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:25 pm

My view on yesterday is that not one player got pass marks, Gerrard and Torres didn't turn up (Man U defense played Torres superbly) and simple mistakes cost us. Mascha's behaviour was shocking especially after what happened with cole last week....totally stupid!

Not taking anything away from Man Utd who were far better than us. Must improve if we're to get a result v's Everton.
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Why do people keep referring to the Cole incident. Mascheranho didn't show the same sort of disrespect as Cole did. Mascheranho questioned every decision (wrong thing to do IMO) but he didn't do anything like Ashley Cole, so why are people banging on about it.

Mascheranho didn't turn his back, refuse to turn round or just show the ref his name and number. He wasn't even questioning a foul for/against him. So the two are in no way linked other than they were both aimed at bald :censored: refs. Mascheranho and Cole were both in the wrong, but I don't see how the two incidents are linked personally.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:47 pm

GBJH they are linked because the refs were looking to make an example of anyone showing any kind of disrespect or dissent to refs and that it would not be allowed. I still have a problem with the first booking and am not sure why people aren't talking about that.
JoeTerp

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 pm

I,m afraid  to have to say this, but over the past few years against man u its been a case of "expect the worse, and hope for the best". We have been second best to them for years now, and its time we put this record straight. If we dont finally learn from our mistakes in signing average players who cannot match or cope with the big match atmosphere then the mancs will overhaul our 18 titles.....and thats something i just wont be able to stomach, next season will be a big test for us, we have to finally respond and bring in quality players with proven class who can take us that one step further.....its gonna have to be a massive clear out come summer we have too many under preforming average players on our books....Rafa needs a right hand man someone who can help pinpoint players who will be good enough to put the red jersey on....and the yanks need to "p1ss on the pot...or get off it!".
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Alright then Joe, but we should be talking about every other player in the league then because they all disrespect refs throughout the season.

As for the first booking, Mascheranho was late on Scholes and I think Bennett had got fed up with fouls by Alonso and decided to make the example out of Mascheranho. I told you he's a :censored: ref and only happy when someone has been sent off, but after that foul Mascheranho didn't help himself. Strict refs would of booked Mascheranho for the tackle joe. It was a late tackle. More lenient refs life Clattenburg would of seen it as Mascheranho's first tackle in a fiercely competitive game and let him off. It was early in the game and wasn't dangerous and if it had been Scholes on Mascheranho, I wouldn't of been to upset had Scholes not been booked but I can see why refs like Bennett who try and stick to the law to the letter and don't show any leniancy would book a player for that kind of tackle.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Bammo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:59 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Mascheranho didn't turn his back, refuse to turn round or just show the ref his name and number. He wasn't even questioning a foul for/against him. So the two are in no way linked other than they were both aimed at bald :censored: refs. Mascheranho and Cole were both in the wrong, but I don't see how the two incidents are linked personally.

He turned his back and walked away when he was getting booked. From that moment, Bennet was waiting for an excuse to send him off after that. Mascha gave him a few chances but ironically it was the one occasion he didn't swear that got him sent off.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:09 pm

Bammo wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Mascheranho didn't turn his back, refuse to turn round or just show the ref his name and number. He wasn't even questioning a foul for/against him. So the two are in no way linked other than they were both aimed at bald :censored: refs. Mascheranho and Cole were both in the wrong, but I don't see how the two incidents are linked personally.

He turned his back and walked away when he was getting booked. From that moment, Bennet was waiting for an excuse to send him off after that. Mascha gave him a few chances but ironically it was the one occasion he didn't swear that got him sent off.

Yeah he didn't actually turn his back for the booking, he just refused to go to Bennett for some time. He kept walking backwards refusing to accept his booking.

From that moment on though he should of shut his mouth and kept out of Bennett's way.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby destro » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 pm

Liverpool midfielder Javier Mascherano could face a lengthy ban after being sent off against Manchester United for dissent, a Football Association (FA) spokesman said on Monday

The dismissal carries an automatic one-match suspension but the FA can sanction Mascherano further for his refusal to leave the pitch immediately after being sent off.

"When the player refuses to leave the field promptly, we do have mechanisms (for further punishment)," FA press officer Andrin Cooper said.

"We can act on anything the referee has not seen or is outside his jurisdiction," he added of FA powers to view incidents further.

"The referee has done all he can under the laws (of the game) up to that point," Cooper said, referring to the sending off. "Any subsequent action is outside the referee's jurisdiction. "(Further action) is a possibility but we won't be able to say anything about that until tomorrow (Tuesday)."

I bet he gets his ban extended to five games  :(
destro

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

It's a shame but understandable I guess that the thread has become a full scale debate on the Masherano issue, when in fact I think most people would agree that we were probably second best long before he was sent off. I've already said that in my opinion he was silly to put himself up for a sacrificial lamb, Bennet is a poor ref and he should have known that.

Since we are debating the issue, a couple of other points spring to mind. No doubt we will have prepared meticulously for the game during the week, working on free-kicks, corners both in attacking and defending sense, watching video, trying to pick routines etc etc. I have to ask then, was it never ever mentioned during the week that given the apparent press reporting of an incident in the Chelsea game, that the referee might well be looking to make a stand? Was it never talked about the Bennet is known as "book-em" for a good reason? If it wasn't, it's an oversight which we need to look at in the future. "Small details" infact come in various guises, and this particular small detail cost us any chance whatsoever of making a game of it on Sunday.

The other point I would like to make is that every team harangues the referee, and if they don't they should. Why? because it gives you a competitive disadvantage if you don't. The great Liverpool teams of the past used to take it turns to get on the refs case, so as to avoid disiplinary problems. Football has changed though, and these days the absolute key is that you simply must PROTEST IN NUMBERS. If Alonso couldn't stop Masherano for instance (which he couldn't) then follow him in and protest with him, even more vehemently. Bennet then can't book Masherano and at worst will book Alonso. Better still, get three or four players in to make the point, let the ref know the whole team is becoming incensed by what is going on. He can hardly book four at once can he?

I'm not having a go at the manager here as this has been a situation where Liverpool have significantly lacked over many years now. That collectivity, team spirit and fighting nature has been largely absent. Same thing happens when Sunderland are playing, or Man Utd? Keane or Ferguson would be off the bench like a shot, getting stuck into the referee, causing a ruck long before he's got chance to book Masherano. I think Masherano was a mug TBPH, suckered in by the Mancs chipping. he was though let down by our lack of fire, the lack of clarity for a teammate to think "I'd better get my erse over there and take one for my mate". The only good that came out of it is that it exposed our lack of winning instinct for all to see. Thats the difference between teams which are used to winning the league and teams which aren't. We have made many strides recently, but I believe the addition of this "winning mentality" is going to be a crucial ingredient if we are to really play to our full potential and get close.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Mick..."Bennett is a poor ref" could you compliment him any more? :laugh:  he's a :censored: joke as a ref and shouldn't be reffereeing a game of such importance and this isn't based on yesterday's game but a judgement on his career in England's top flight.

Next though Mick, Brian Clough always told his players to never question a refs decision. If they did, he fined them. That's how Forest played in the 70s and 80s and it won them two European Cups. There's no need to hound refs like Chelsea do nowadays, it's ok to question a decision but to constantly question every decision and hunt the ref in a mob is the wrong way. It'll just make sure the ref doesn't give you any decisions. Perry Groves was on you're on sky sports on Saturday night and his words were "George Graham told us to hassle refs and try and intimidate him, but because we played offside so much then we didn't question the linesmen because we wanted them in our pocket so decisions were more likely to go our way" That's perfect sense, if you harrass a ref the way Mascheranho did, he's not going to favour you is he?

I think if you accept what a ref says, it's more likely that he'll favour your side anyway. But Mick we've had our fair share of incidents were we've hounded refs...mainly Carragher :laugh:
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Bammo » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:39 pm

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Bammo wrote:

Yeah he didn't actually turn his back for the booking, he just refused to go to Bennett for some time. He kept walking backwards refusing to accept his booking.

From that moment on though he should of shut his mouth and kept out of Bennett's way.

He said " :censored: off", waved his hand at Bennet and walked past him so his back was towards the ref. Bennet had him marked from then. All the little digs Masch did just added up to Bennet deciding he'd send him off next time he complained.

The next time he did happened to be Masch simply asking what happened. He shouldn't have gone for that but he was lucky not to have been booked already.

To those people saying the other players should have had a go too, are you mad??? Passion's brilliant but would you all be applauding Gerrard, Alonso, Torres, Carra, Reina etc if they'd all sprinted up to Bennet, called him a cunt and been sent off. Right or not, the derby would be fun without all our best players wouldn't it?

Yes, Bennett could have handled the game better, and yes, it was harsh when he actually got the 2nd yellow but it was perfectly avoidable. If Masch had a problem he should have gone to Gerrard, who as captain would then go to the ref.

One thing I do hope that happens now this "standard" has been set is that refs continue with this kind of discipline. Otherwise it is just using Masch as an example in vain. If that's the rules then they have to be applied to all players, regardless of club.

One final thought: what happened to players being booked for diving? Ronaldo got off scot free  :veryangry
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:39 pm

simon because wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Steve Bennett needs shooting.

Mascher did NOT deserve to walk, Torres did NOT deserve a booking, and that slap-headed c*nt let countless United fouls go unpunished.

Have you read back on this thread? Apparently he did deserve his red.  :upside:

That just goes to show that some people should not be allowed near a computer...

Seriously - anyone who thinks Mascher DESERVED to be sent off for that needs to give their head a shake.

The red was brandished long before he lost his rag.

I think it's high time a player tw*tted the f*ck out of him when he makes such ludicrous decisions.

If they argue, we can defend them by saying "Well if he hadn't sent him off, he would never have done that..."

It seems to work the other way around - "Had Ashley Cole not done what HE did, Bennett wouldn't have sent Mascher off..."

Wanktards.

Try and shake me then.

When Masch got the second yellow, he had been having a go at the ref constantly in the build up.

It was clear the Masch wasn't going to shut up so he had to go.

Do you support Liverpool or Australia??

Club over country everytime mate.

For you, Argentina or Liverpool?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 pm

simon because wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:
simon because wrote:
AussieKopite wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:Mascherano shouldn't have had his first booking studs were DOWN first tackle of the game, no mal intent far away from the goal, just give a free kick and get on with it

Problem for Masch after making that tackle he lost his mind.

It wasn't hard to work out what he was saying.

If it was Harry useless Kewell ud be up in arms and burning ur squid! :D

For me it is not hard to work out what you are saying either Sheila!Our team was done today by a ref that was not up to it!He cracked at the Old Trafford pressure

Number 1: Harry Kewell isn't the kind of player to mouth off.

Number 2: If Kewell isn't playing for Liverpool next season, I'm okay with that.

Number 3: I'm the kind of person who will judge an incident on its merits and not worried about things nationality.

Using your logic, Simon Because, you must be Argentinian, and a muppet.

Number wrong kiddo,when Kewell is away from us i expect to see less of you and your silly flag!
Steal the union jack in the corner.................Viduka will be ur next bouncer!!!

Mate I am making constructive points. I don't care if Kewell doesn't play. A newbie like yourself should be careful he doesn't annoy too many people and get banned for too many cautions.

Using your logic you must follow Argentina then.

I manage a football club in Brisbane, Australia and if my players are acting petulantly like yourself and Masch I will tell them. If they look like they wont shut up from talking to the ref I will sub them off because I'd like to keep playing with 11 men.

Maybe you need to get some objectivity.

I haven't once suggested that Kewell should play. Maybe you should stop being a muppet and stop putting words in my mouth.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion