LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Match thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:56 am

I thought Riera played well.  There was a long stretch there in the 2nd half we he hardly saw any of the ball...everything seemed to be going down the right flank.  He did very well for his goal, though--both starting the move and finishing it off with a great placed shot.  If I'm not mistaken, that was his first full match for us as well?

I thought Pennant did alright.  He put a few good balls into the box--with the cross for the Kuyt volley being the obvious highlight.  He provided plenty of width but didn't seem to do a great deal with possession a lot of the time.  There were a few errant passes when he wasn't on the same page with the likes of Gerrard but that's to be expected after so much time out of the team.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:00 am

s@int wrote:What do you think the problem is with Keane at the moment? Confidence , trying too hard, or being asked to play a different role than he's used to?

Was going to say that Keane had a forgettable day.  A few times I thought he was spending too much time foraging outside the box.  So much for leading the line in Torres' absence.  I found some of his decision making worrying too.  We had a few breaks on late on and he picked the wrong pass (if he passed!) each time.  The glaring one was not playing the early ball to Yossi on that last 3 on 2.  Benayoun was in acres of space. :no

That said, I thought he did show some deft touches around the box.  I particularly liked his little dinked ball into Kuyt which almost produced a goal before the scissor-kick volley.  More of that would be appreciated and less of the dropping into the centre's circle to receive the ball.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:03 am

s@int wrote:What do you think the problem is with Keane at the moment? Confidence , trying too hard, or being asked to play a different role than he's used to?

I think its the pressure of the fee we paid for him. Even today the £20 million is ludicrous. We know it and Keane is clever enough to know it himself. Ive always rated the player as a good one but never in a million years is he worth the amount we paid for him. I think he is trying to justify his price tag more than anything and that is affecting his game. He doesnt look like half the player he was at Tottenham. And lets not forget, he wasnt a guarantee in the spurs first line up.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 am

duk wrote:4 goals in torres' last 2 EPL games and 3 for Kuyt in his last 2 :D

just need Keane to join in

well to be fair kuyt has 3 in his last 28 league games which is Shiite, the lad did well today, if he starts to do it consistently he will be ok, but I think as soon as torres is fit kuyt will be back on the right where he has no good impact on the game
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:24 am

Bad Bob wrote: The glaring one was not playing the early ball to Yossi on that last 3 on 2.  Benayoun was in acres of space. :no

Yeah, I nearly put my foot through the screen with that one  :D

As for his price Kharhaz, I think that's something for the manager to worry about , not Keane. Although you may be right and he is letting it get to him a little.

I think he is trying to do things that arn't part of his natural game at the moment, and he needs to be a little more selfish, take a player or two on and smash in a couple of shots.
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:01 am

peewee wrote:
duk wrote:4 goals in torres' last 2 EPL games and 3 for Kuyt in his last 2 :D

just need Keane to join in

well to be fair kuyt has 3 in his last 28 league games which is Shiite, the lad did well today, if he starts to do it consistently he will be ok, but I think as soon as torres is fit kuyt will be back on the right where he has no good impact on the game

To be fair Peewee,dont try and hide the fact you gave mongrel dogs abuse to Kuyt by suggesting that you feel he's acceptable upfront.
you have clearly stated on umpteen very obvious occasions that he"is not good enough for LFC"....Fullstop!
You never said he was not a good player but just not on the right,or that if he was played upfront he would be a success.
So dont try covering your tracks now mate when he's played out of his skin..sometimes its best to admit you are wrong about things,or just say nothing!

Or maybe wait and see!! :;):
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:28 am

I am not changing anything barry, he is still not good enough based on a couple of late goals this season, just doing it in a couple of games cuts no mustard with me mate, I gave the lad credit for his performance today, I am sure you would have whinged if I say he was rubbish today, I slate him and you complain, I give him credit and you complain.

Now read my post again, I say if he did it consistently then he would be ok, I am not for one second suggesting he has suddenly become a good player, just he was decent today and if he did that at least 75% of the time he would be ok. Even bramble has the odd decent game mate but it still doesnt make him a footballer. Kuyt has to do this consistently and not just pop us with a couple of goals every 28 games so let's have this dicussion in 28 games time
112-1077774096

Postby Rush Job » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:36 am

Different player with a bit of confidence, plus i think his father passing away weighed heavy on him last seson too.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:42 am

peewee wrote:I am not changing anything barry, he is still not good enough based on a couple of late goals this season, just doing it in a couple of games cuts no mustard with me mate, I gave the lad credit for his performance today, I am sure you would have whinged if I say he was rubbish today, I slate him and you complain, I give him credit and you complain.

Now read my post again, I say if he did it consistently then he would be ok, I am not for one second suggesting he has suddenly become a good player, just he was decent today and if he did that at least 75% of the time he would be ok. Even bramble has the odd decent game mate but it still doesnt make him a footballer. Kuyt has to do this consistently and not just pop us with a couple of goals every 28 games so let's have this dicussion in 28 games time

Thats where we differ,I see the positives Kuyt brings to LFC and has done from last Xmas.You focus on the negatives and constantly complain and overlook the good things to benefit your own obsession!

I call a spade spade,you call a spade a club from what I read anyway on most of the matches you see!
Im here to remind you when you are wrong from where I see it.Maybe im a little over critical of what you say at times but you may get used to it.....because after your totally unjust and OTT beating down of a player that i respect i feel its my right to remind you when he plays well.
Dont try filling in with,yeah he should be upfront or thats why he should never be played on the right either mate!
You repeatadly stated that he was not good enough for LFC full stop,take a look at the table and ask yourself where we would be without him!

Never a world beater,but important :censored:..bitter sweet!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:25 am

Number 9 wrote:
peewee wrote:I am not changing anything barry, he is still not good enough based on a couple of late goals this season, just doing it in a couple of games cuts no mustard with me mate, I gave the lad credit for his performance today, I am sure you would have whinged if I say he was rubbish today, I slate him and you complain, I give him credit and you complain.

Thats where we differ,I see the positives Kuyt brings to LFC and has done from last Xmas.You focus on the negatives and constantly complain and overlook the good things to benefit your own obsession!

I call a spade spade,you call a spade a club from what I read anyway on most of the matches you see!
Im here to remind you when you are wrong from where I see it.Maybe im a little over critical of what you say at times but you may get used to it.....because after your totally unjust and OTT beating down of a player that i respect i feel its my right to remind you when he plays well.
Dont try filling in with,yeah he should be upfront or thats why he should never be played on the right either mate!
You repeatadly stated that he was not good enough for LFC full stop,take a look at the table and ask yourself where we would be without him!

Never a world beater,but important :censored:..bitter sweet!

haha, i think only one of us says it as it it barry and it isn't you, as for where would we be without kuyt, well probably 2 points clear if he didnt try and get in on gerrard free kick against stoke. And just maybe without him we wouldn't have needed late goals with a decent winger.

Ffs barry I praised the guy today and you are still trying to start fights, I just refer you to 3 goals in 30 games to hopefully give you a reality check
112-1077774096

Postby tonyeh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:53 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
tonyeh wrote:Don't know how Liverpool keep pulling it off ???

Wigan deserved to win that game. They were the better team by far and I was really impressed by Zaki. MoM for me.

Riera played his socks off, proving his worth again and Dirk Kuyt..good for him. Best game I've seen him play for a long, long time.

But, my god, does Agger look rusty. In fairness though, it was Reina's fault for the goal. He should never have made that pass out.

Liverpool seriously need to get a result against Chelsea next week. I don't think they're going to lose 4 games this year and they're GD is climibing away.

Joint top is still 2nd place.

That's what this place needs - a positive mental attitude... :no

Sorry Peter (er, I mean...Lando  :;):  ) but I don't believe in bullsh1t "positive mental atitudes". If something's bad, then it's bad and Liverpool were pretty bad today.

If they play like that against Chelsea, they can forget it.

A win is a win, but they need to go up a few gears.

Not a positive mental attitude or a negative mental attitude...just a real one.  :)
tonyeh

Postby maguskwt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:05 am

can anyone tell me with what kind of formation did we play once we took out both dossena and arbeloa and brought on el zhar and benayoun? we played with 4 wingers?? I had to share the tv with my mate who wanted to watch the arsenal game as well  :(
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:12 am

Number 9 wrote:I think we missed Kuyt on the right of M/F today bigtime!Not saying it because I appreciate the lad more than most or to provoke controversy.It just seemed obvious to me.
He gets criticised at times(and rightly so) for giving the ball away in possession on the right.
To me though today highlighted how much he actually does for the team,more than you expect from a right MF!He was'nt there to track back or to cut in,nor was he there to get into MF like he does when teams attack from deep and hustle their players off the ball freeing up our other players.
People are saying Pennant had a good game,I think he done OK in the 2nd half yeah.But for about the first half an hour at least,Wigan were having a free one on their left side,Pennant done nothing to counter it.That simply would not have happened if Kuyt was there!
I find it totally amazing that some people still dont appreciate this fellas worth to LFC.Said it before and I'll say it again by the end of the season a lot on here will be eating humble pie...some should be chewing it already!
Also another great game by Riera,he's obviously still not match fit but he's a HUGE improvement on anything we've had on the left for a very long time and there is a lot more to come from him!
Im delighted with this season so far,we can still play a lot better and we will,our defence has been a little shaky at times.We will get better,but the mentality is what makes me happiest!We have more players standing up now and making things happen refusing to loose,yeah we have had some luck on the way but no one ever won a league without a bit of that!

Good post . Kuyt's work is very undervalued on here by some
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 am

maguskwt wrote:can anyone tell me with what kind of formation did we play once we took out both dossena and arbeloa and brought on el zhar and benayoun? we played with 4 wingers?? I had to share the tv with my mate who wanted to watch the arsenal game as well  :(

It kinda looked like this, I guess (not that there was any true system being adhered to at that stage):

Keane   Kuyt

El Zhar   Riera   Gerrard   Benayoun  Pennant

Alonso

Agger        Carra

Reina
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:15 am

YEs , the commentator said that riera and pennant played as wing backs
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext