LIVERPOOL VS WIGAN ATHLETIC - Match thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby whylongball? » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:50 pm

Kuyt could have scored another two goals.
Like his powerful shot in the first half which bounced off the bar. Thats Kuyt when he first came-good shooting technique and a powerful one.
whylongball?

Postby lewerty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:10 pm

alonso seems to get players to tackle him ad get a red card lol fair play
lewerty

Postby roberto green » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:15 pm

today's game shows what value mascherano is missed by when he is not in the team we defo need him against chelsea
roberto green

Postby LegBarnes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Ok for next game I wanna see this formation

Riena

Carra   Agger

Pennent gerrard masch alonso Riera

Babel    Keane
                Torres

:D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:29 pm

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:i know one thing if this is how where going to win number 19 i dont think ill be around to see it :D , also thank fook we didnt sell Alonso :D

I take the pills that are prescribed. They are called the LFC Chill Pills. Apparently, they used to be called Prozac...  :D

I laughed earlier watching this thread as well as the match. Wigans first goal, the reaction was typical. Agger especially then he gets forward to make amends almost Avi Cohen type response and changed the mood, classic !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:05 am

I was at the game today and even by our standards of chasing lost causes this season that was some comeback in a game of high quality and at times basic defending. Wigan take a lot of creidt but nil pts for their attitude and endeavour. Wigan will be fine this season if they continue to play with such abandonment and tbh they were the better team today.

We looked a bit disjointed from the off with Agger returning after a long layoff and Pennent playing from memory but we grew into a game and somehow secured a valuable 3pts and maximum confidence for our clash with the Chavs of Chelsea next week.

Benitez has never tasted victory against Bruce in 4 Premiership encounters and he nearly came unstuck again but must take credit for going 2-5-3 in the final 10 minutes ! :D

A great game for the neutrals but a nightmare for fans of either team.

MOM for me was Rierra. He was keen all game. Stevie wasn't his usual top quality but even when he drops below his own high standards he still is able to influence the game as his tepover to set up Riera showed.

I've never entered the Kuyt debate but I expect it to be somewhere near the top of the list of topics discussed this evening as you lot just love an argument !

:D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:16 am

I though Riera's game dropped off again as the match progressed Dalglish, (of course he scored just after I said it! :D  ) did it not appear that way at the game mate ?

Off the tv I would have given m.o.t.m to either Gerrard or Kuyt , both worked hard, Gerrard drove the team forward and Dirk got the rewards and plaudits for his goals. I wouldn't argue too strongly against Riera either though , probably our best player in the first half and grabbed a nice goal for himself in the second.
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:24 am

ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 am

Hiya Saint, I think the whole Liverpool dropped off after half time and the gameplay was disjointed and messy. Kuyt was certainly a contender for MOM for hios overall input.

20 mins on MOTD doesn't always give a fair impression of what each player brings to the team over 90mins but that can work both ways ............for example Pennent appeared to be instrumental and influencial if you watched MOTD and even got a mention from one of the the analysts (shearer I think) but the reality was that he was very poor IMO and nbowhere near the standard of Riera. Pennent hasn't played for a long time and it showed at times but I was disappointed in that he didnbt seize the opportunity and go for it instead of playing safe most of the time.

Walk on ........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:31 am

If nothing else he looks determined Metalhead

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:34 am

I think we missed Kuyt on the right of M/F today bigtime!Not saying it because I appreciate the lad more than most or to provoke controversy.It just seemed obvious to me.
He gets criticised at times(and rightly so) for giving the ball away in possession on the right.
To me though today highlighted how much he actually does for the team,more than you expect from a right MF!He was'nt there to track back or to cut in,nor was he there to get into MF like he does when teams attack from deep and hustle their players off the ball freeing up our other players.
People are saying Pennant had a good game,I think he done OK in the 2nd half yeah.But for about the first half an hour at least,Wigan were having a free one on their left side,Pennant done nothing to counter it.That simply would not have happened if Kuyt was there!
I find it totally amazing that some people still dont appreciate this fellas worth to LFC.Said it before and I'll say it again by the end of the season a lot on here will be eating humble pie...some should be chewing it already!
Also another great game by Riera,he's obviously still not match fit but he's a HUGE improvement on anything we've had on the left for a very long time and there is a lot more to come from him!
Im delighted with this season so far,we can still play a lot better and we will,our defence has been a little shaky at times.We will get better,but the mentality is what makes me happiest!We have more players standing up now and making things happen refusing to loose,yeah we have had some luck on the way but no one ever won a league without a bit of that!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:37 am

Dalglish wrote:Hiya Saint, I think the whole Liverpool dropped off after half time and the gameplay was disjointed and messy. Kuyt was certainly a contender for MOM for hios overall input.

20 mins on MOTD doesn't always give a fair impression of what each player brings to the team over 90mins but that can work both ways ............for example Pennent appeared to be instrumental and influencial if you watched MOTD and even got a mention from one of the the analysts (shearer I think) but the reality was that he was very poor IMO and nbowhere near the standard of Riera. Pennent hasn't played for a long time and it showed at times but I was disappointed in that he didnbt seize the opportunity and go for it instead of playing safe most of the time.

Walk on ........

I didn't see it on m.o.t.d. mate ...... I'm a "real supporter" and watched it on a stream  :D

I wasn't sure about Pennant tbh, made Kuyts goal, and did a couple of good things but left me feeling he could have done more as usual. Seemed to take the easy way out by coming inside too often as well maybe?

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:43 am

On MOTD it looked like we were the better team!!
Not the case!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:46 am

Too True ! He was like a Crab at times going sideways or passing back to Dossena who worries me ........ a lot ! ???

No offence with the MOTD comment mate, wasn't assuming you only watched 20 mins just making a point about how sometimes players are percieved on the basis of a few highlights.

Pennent was/still is maybe ? surplus to requirements but after turning down Stoke and if rumours are true Blackburn so you would think he would have bust a gut today to impress but all too often he played safe.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:53 am

What do you think the problem is with Keane at the moment? Confidence , trying too hard, or being asked to play a different role than he's used to?

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion