LIVERPOOL VS MACCABI HAIFA - Part 2

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:15 pm

-I don't expect to see Fowler start the game on Tuesday. He had an off day against Sheffield and although it was his first bad game since he's signed imo, Crouch will probably start ahead of him.

-With Jamie and John out, I expect us to be a bit more vulnurable at the back, mostly due to the fact that Carra is injured. I'm hoping that Hyypia steps up a gear in the comming games alongside Daniel.

-If Finnan doesn't play again then I'm sure he'll make it for the weekend's game, but he will be another obvious big loss for Tuesday's game. I'm expecting that he will start and that the reason he didn't take part in Saturday's game was a precaution as he picked up a knock in training or a previous game.

This game won't be comfortable as we would like to think, afterall we don't do things the easy way do we?

Reina

Finnan      Hyypia        Agger       Aurelio

Pennant    Alonso        Gerrard     Gonzalez

Bellamy       Crouch

That could possibly be the formation, but you never know with Rafa these days.  :D

Subs:
-Fowler
-Luis Garcia
-Paletta
-Sissoko
-Zenden
-Dudek
-Kromkamp
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby MaccaLFC » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:19 pm

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I'm surprised how many people think Gerrard will or should be rested.  He'll be chomping at the bit for this one and he's still our captain and best "big game" player.  I also suspect Rafa might have played him at RM yesterday in preparation for this game.

As such, I suspect we'll line up like this:

Reina

Finnan        Hyypia      Agger         Aurelio

Gerrard       Alonso      Sissoko       Gonzales

Bellamy    Crouch

Subs: Pennant, Garcia, Paletta, Fowler, Zenden, Kromkamp, Dudek

I hope to god Finnan's ok. Paletta isn't a right back, although it was only pre season he got caught out against Grasshoppers, playing a blind ball from the right back position which led to a goal. Not going to judge the lad on that because as I say, he isn't a right back, but it wouldn't inspire me with confidence if he got the nod.

Kromkamp isn't good enough, that's all that needs to be said. He looks completely out of his depth and is prone to clumsy tackles resulting in free kicks.

I'd go along with the team you posted, that should be enough to get us through.
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby mgabby » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:29 pm

Hey, we got to the second page with no politics till now ... :D
So I'll try to keep it that way also.

It is not going to be easy. We MUST score a goal in first half! I predict 1-0 LFC at half time.
1-1 at the end.

Underestimating Haifa might be a big mistake. They can play much better than in Anfield. They have nothing to lose now, and will play hard. Hope we will not talk after the game about how important was Cara to our defence ...

Go LFC !
mgabby

Postby bigmick » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:16 pm

Bad Bob wrote:I'm surprised how many people think Gerrard will or should be rested.  He'll be chomping at the bit for this one and he's still our captain and best "big game" player.  I also suspect Rafa might have played him at RM yesterday in preparation for this game.

Reina

Bellamy    Crouch

I just hope the back four are drilled hard these next few days to get them working as a unit.  The last thing we need is to concede a soft goal from a set piece like we did yesterday.  If we stay tight at the back and get at them on the counter attack, we'll be fine.  I'm looking for a fairly comfortable 2-0 victory.

Yeah that team'll do for me aswell to be honest. Under the circumstances, just about the strongest one available. Inanswer to the Israeli fella who asked does anybody on here think that they have a chance? Count me in, I'm extremely concerned to be totally frank. Liverpool must start the game with purpose and not allow it to drift . the Israeli's would probably settle for 0-0 with ten minutes to go. We really must not fall into the trap, as at Benfica last season of thinking that a casual meander towards 0-0 is our primary objective. Obviously if we have no choice we take the 0-0, but a goal must be our priority.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:43 pm

LFCFan4Life wrote:                       Reina

Finnan      Hyypia        Agger       Aurelio

Pennant    Alonso        Gerrard     Gonzalez

Bellamy       Crouch

I think our best formation is with Sissoko, Alonso and Gerrard.
Away from home in a crucial European game - I doubt very much if Rafa doesn't play Sissoko.

This inevitably means Gerrard out on the right which is less desirable.
This can only be overcome if we play 4-5-1, which is not out the equation for this game.

I think Kromkamp is inadequate cover for Finnan though.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:14 am

bigmick wrote:

Reina

Bellamy    Crouch

I just hope the back four are drilled hard these next few days to get them working as a unit.  The last thing we need is to concede a soft goal from a set piece like we did yesterday.  If we stay tight at the back and get at them on the counter attack, we'll be fine.  I'm looking for a fairly comfortable 2-0 victory.

Yeah that team'll do for me aswell to be honest. Under the circumstances, just about the strongest one available. Inanswer to the Israeli fella who asked does anybody on here think that they have a chance? Count me in, I'm extremely concerned to be totally frank. Liverpool must start the game with purpose and not allow it to drift . the Israeli's would probably settle for 0-0 with ten minutes to go. We really must not fall into the trap, as at Benfica last season of thinking that a casual meander towards 0-0 is our primary objective. Obviously if we have no choice we take the 0-0, but a goal must be our priority.

I can't say that I'm not a tad bit concerned about the game against Haifa. We've made things difficult in the past when it should had been at all.

You pointed out in another thread that the start to any game is importan, and I agree. The first ten to fifteen minutes is crucial in most games, and we need to start with some purpose.

Secondly, we need to score first and we need to do it in the first-half.

Benitez mentioned in the Echo on Friday, that we can't get complacent in games. I think we did that on Saturday, because it seemed like we thought that Sheffield would roll over for us. I certainly hope that the players don't underestimate Haifa on Tuesday. There's too much at stake, and failure to qualify for the group stages would hurt us financialy more than we could imagine.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:33 am

As far as this match goes, like a man suffering from premature ejaculation, we have to get our business done early.

Manhattan would be happy with about two-nil at halftime.

We do not want this to be nil-nil with fifteen minutes to go.
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:47 am

Would go with this formation:

Reina

Finnan    Hypia    Agger    Warnock

Alonso      sissoko
                 Gerrard

Garcia          Gonzalez

Crouch

Think Rafa may be tempted to use Warnock who is a familiar face with Carragher missing and also a solid defender.  Think this may be the starting formation but garcia may play more as a right midfielder allowing Gerrard to support Crouch.  Gonzalez will give us the Pace to hit them on the break.
mattylfc

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am

It will be a different game as they need to score to win so sitting deep and hitting us on the counter will not work. The weather in Kiev at the time of the match is forecast to be 13 degrees with  light rain so the weather will not remind the Haifa players of home. :D

I think buying Kuyt was probably due to Raffa guaranteeing CL admittance to the board so he will never let the players get complacent, also we are a fitter side than the one that played a couple of weeks ago.

I think their victory came at Anfield and we will win more comfortably this time. Liverpool win 2-0.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:11 am

guru wrote:Hello!
     My name is Sergey.I am from Ukrain.I want to ask you,how many your fans will come to     Kiev,because Haifa-Liverpool game will be here.
     I want to change football pins and programs.I will also have  programs Haifa-Liverpool.
    Can you say me what hotel in Kiev you will stay in,and the name of your group leader.
    Hope for your answer,my e-mail besbes@bk.ru.Thank you,best regards,Sergey

yeah, send you my details etc and then wake up without a kidney

:D
112-1077774096

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:20 am

peewee wrote:
guru wrote:Hello!
     My name is Sergey.I am from Ukrain.I want to ask you,how many your fans will come to     Kiev,because Haifa-Liverpool game will be here.
     I want to change football pins and programs.I will also have  programs Haifa-Liverpool.
    Can you say me what hotel in Kiev you will stay in,and the name of your group leader.
    Hope for your answer,my e-mail besbes@bk.ru.Thank you,best regards,Sergey

yeah, send you my details etc and then wake up without a kidney

66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:45 am

this game is HUGE

three years ago, newcastle were a top 4 side and lost in the champions league qualifiers and look where they are now.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:07 pm

stmichael wrote:this game is HUGE

three years ago, newcastle were a top 4 side and lost in the champions league qualifiers and look where they are now.

Erm...Yeah!  ???
48-1119859832

Postby MaccaLFC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:45 pm

He has a point..
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:24 pm

stmichael wrote:this game is HUGE

Exactly why I think that no one will be taking anyone for granted. The boys will come out ready.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion