Liverpool legends part 1 - "with god on our side"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dalglish » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:14 am

The streets around Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC  were flooded on September 22nd 1996 and if you just happened to be a fan Of Liverpoool FC life wasn't at it's greatest. But whilst we walked through the sun under not so golden skys we didn't know we were about to witness a happening of biblical proportions. Or put it another way, Robbie Fowler made his debut. I dare say Fulham had no idea who he was but within a fortnight they knew his name. He scored on his debut, got 5 in the return leg, would bag an hatrick later in the season , break his leg and comeback to score the winning goal in the last ever "derby" to be played before the old Kop; quite a first season in the big time !

We would come to know him as "God" and this son of Toxteth, once a blue but definitely a Red was heaven sent. Suddenly you wanted to be there when Fowler played for Liverpool. He could be good, he could be great, he could be totally outrageous or he could be downright ****** but you always wanted to be there because you never knew what he could conjure up when all seemed lost.

They do say that Steve Staunton is still trying to undo himself after being turned inside out by Robbie in that game against Villa in 1996. A FOUR minute hatrick aginst Arsenal, goals against the Mancs that had the Red Nosed Rudolph fuming for months, goals against the Bluesnoses that had them wishing they;d kept their mouths shut, we saw great goals, sly goals and simple goals, we got the lot when we had Robbie Fowler.

I once read that Robbie Fowler epitomised Scouse and that might be right but whatever your opinions about his departure you surely have to admit he took a little bit of Liverpool with him. The unpredictable magic, the Scally and a fair sized chunk of the "Scouse Heart" as well. I will always love watching Liverpool but I have to admit I loved it a little bit more when we had God with us !

Robbie Fowler would have been more of a legend in the old days;he's have broken all scoring records and won more medals than he could have dreamed of. He'd have loved the football played by the team in the 70's and 80's, loved the social side as well, not to mention the chips on the way home from away games!

Legends are born, not made. In 10 years time as we watch a team of robots play the game we might yearn for the Toxteth Terror and the days when we had God on our side.

:)
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:27 am

excellent post, almost makes we wish we god back on our side, but those days are behind us.

A legend he is, and the memories he left us will live on forever.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:32 am

Didn't cheer me up one bit
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:19 am

Dalglish wrote:The streets around Craven Cottage, home of Fulham FC  were flooded on September 22nd 1996 and if you just happened to be a fan Of Liverpoool FC life wasn't at it's greatest. But whilst we walked through the sun under not so golden skys we didn't know we were about to witness a happening of biblical proportions. Or put it another way, Robbie Fowler made his debut. I dare say Fulham had no idea who he was but within a fortnight they knew his name. He scored on his debut, got 5 in the return leg, would bag an hatrick later in the season , break his leg and comeback to score the winning goal in the last ever "derby" to be played before the old Kop; quite a first season in the big time !

We would come to know him as "God" and this son of Toxteth, once a blue but definitely a Red was heaven sent. Suddenly you wanted to be there when Fowler played for Liverpool. He could be good, he could be great, he could be totally outrageous or he could be downright ****** but you always wanted to be there because you never knew what he could conjure up when all seemed lost.

They do say that Steve Staunton is still trying to undo himself after being turned inside out by Robbie in that game against Villa in 1996. A FOUR minute hatrick aginst Arsenal, goals against the Mancs that had the Red Nosed Rudolph fuming for months, goals against the Bluesnoses that had them wishing they;d kept their mouths shut, we saw great goals, sly goals and simple goals, we got the lot when we had Robbie Fowler.

I once read that Robbie Fowler epitomised Scouse and that might be right but whatever your opinions about his departure you surely have to admit he took a little bit of Liverpool with him. The unpredictable magic, the Scally and a fair sized chunk of the "Scouse Heart" as well. I will always love watching Liverpool but I have to admit I loved it a little bit more when we had God with us !

Robbie Fowler would have been more of a legend in the old days;he's have broken all scoring records and won more medals than he could have dreamed of. He'd have loved the football played by the team in the 70's and 80's, loved the social side as well, not to mention the chips on the way home from away games!

Legends are born, not made. In 10 years time as we watch a team of robots play the game we might yearn for the Toxteth Terror and the days when we had God on our side.

:)

Amen
112-1077774096

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:51 am

Never understood why LFC fans seem to love Fowler more than Owen.

Fowler did well for a while in the league, Owen is class on an international level. They are both scousers so that can't be it.

Thought the God nickname was egotistical bullsh!t and summed up the under achieving win nothing spice boys that team was.

Thought £11m was a great sale.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:59 am

Fowler banged in 30 goals for us three seasons on the trot.  Owen never got near that.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 am

Big Niall wrote:They are both scousers so that can't be it.

I'm sorry but Owen is from Chester and grew up in Wales.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ronmeister » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:12 am

Also Fowler was driven out by Thommo ,Owen left for Money
ronmeister

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:17 pm

Owen didn't leave for money. He never won anything important at LFC and saw a chance to play for a bigger club. Not saying its the right move as he is n the bench a lot but I dont think it was money.

He is also more professional than fowler and has more respect for fitness and attitude, more of a winner.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:20 pm

Robbie was loved by the fans for his die hard attitude, e.g. snortin the goal lines at goodison, wearing the Dockers T-Shirt, goading the mancs and the evertonains.
Plus he banged goals in for fun, thats why he is still loved by everyone :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:23 pm

Best post I've read on here in ages, Ian.
jonnymac1979

Postby ronmeister » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Owen may have looked after himself better but it didnt stop him shitting on us in a big way .If it wasnt for money why did he wait till the last minute before dropped us in the ******.So we would be panicked into selling him cheaply and he could demand a bigger wage thats why.I'm not doubting his ability he has proven himself time and again on the pitch ,I just think think he could of conducted his move a little better.
ronmeister

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:57 pm

what ever anyone says, fowler is god

bring him back
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:47 am

Big Niall wrote:Never understood why LFC fans seem to love Fowler more than Owen.

Fowler did well for a while in the league, Owen is class on an international level. They are both scousers so that can't be it.

Thought the God nickname was egotistical bullsh!t and summed up the under achieving win nothing spice boys that team was.

Thought £11m was a great sale.

Who said this was about Owen and Fowler  ???

Grow up  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:05 am

He banged in another couple tonight for city, i think we loved robbie so much because he was like one of us he wasnt arsed about the hype he just wanted to play footy and score goals he wasnt a robot and he was falable . I think most of us know a robbie in the footy teams weve played in or against some one so natural on and off the park footy is everthing to them but it seems that there that good they can just have a laugh and not feel any pressure we really felt that he was one of us.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion