Emerald Red wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:Rafa will go....tuesday will be our watershed...its addios amigo time for the "fat spanish waiter". :nod

A sad day when a manager who won us a European Cup to be called a  "fat spanish waiter" by a "Liverpool fan".

Yeah.

:no  :(

just like its a shame when people of the calibre of souness gets abused by people who defend rafa so stoutly, souness was an immense player but still gets ridiculed by so called reds for his management, which i might add was no worse than we have now. rafa has better players yet still cant put a winning team together

Benitez is no better than Souness? Are you on glue? Put Souness's entire CV of achievements up here on the page and then put Bentez's one up beside it. Argument blown clean out of the water.

What's the difference between calling a manager a "fat waiter" and a player some of the things Souness has been called. They both led us to european cup glory. Souness was our captain in 81, he picked the trophy up, does that go out the window because of his mangerial days?

I don't agree with calling Benitez a "fat waiter" but it's the same for both.

It's not the same. Souness was only one cog in a machine as a player. I'm sure other's would have filled his boots. As soon as he got carte blanch of the club, he done more detrimental harm than good, and this can't be disputed. He set us back a long, long way.

I'm sure many could of filled his boots? You never saw him play then. At his best he was as good a player as Gerrard. Nobody could do what Souness did as a player. He was fantastic and I doubt anybody could fill his boots that easily.

As a manager I'm not comparing CV's or managerial abilities. I'm going solely on the dross on the pitch. Both had us playing at this disgraceful performance, that's my point.

He was one player. One. So, yes, he could be replaced as much as any other player could have been.

Yes Souey was one player, I suppose like Torres is now, I suppose Torres can be easily replaced eh? Or maybe Gerrard? Reina? Souness' era I suppose Dalglish would of been easily replace eh? After all they're only single players aren't they?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 am

Souness wasn't as talented as Gerrard but was a better player.........and probably the best Captain Liverpool have ever had.
account deleted by request

Postby Pedro Maradona » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:45 am

Its not just Rafa and this match, this slide to mediocracy has been going on since 1991. Time to look at the whole club not just the manager. we are so far behind chelsea, man utd and arsenal both on the pitch and off the pitch now, its not a quick fix we need, we need to examine the whole club from top to bottom. we dont have a divine right to win anything anymore, our history is exactly that ...just history. I know football has changed in the last number of years but we have not been run well since the time of John Smith and Peter Robinson, WE badly need to be sold by the americans and a lot of people need to be gotten rid off, parry etc. we have been so left behind it is frightening.
Pedro Maradona

Postby Pedro Maradona » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:49 am

s@int wrote:Souness wasn't as talented as Gerrard but was a better player.........and probably the best Captain Liverpool have ever had.

spot on.
different times tho, different footballing eras.
Money has the game ruined, too many players who dont care anymore, its just a wage to them now so comparing Souness and gerrard is difficult in my opinion.
Pedro Maradona

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:55 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:Rafa will go....tuesday will be our watershed...its addios amigo time for the "fat spanish waiter". :nod

A sad day when a manager who won us a European Cup to be called a  "fat spanish waiter" by a "Liverpool fan".

Yeah.

just like its a shame when people of the calibre of souness gets abused by people who defend rafa so stoutly, souness was an immense player but still gets ridiculed by so called reds for his management, which i might add was no worse than we have now. rafa has better players yet still cant put a winning team together

Benitez is no better than Souness? Are you on glue? Put Souness's entire CV of achievements up here on the page and then put Bentez's one up beside it. Argument blown clean out of the water.

What's the difference between calling a manager a "fat waiter" and a player some of the things Souness has been called. They both led us to european cup glory. Souness was our captain in 81, he picked the trophy up, does that go out the window because of his mangerial days?

It's not the same. Souness was only one cog in a machine as a player. I'm sure other's would have filled his boots. As soon as he got carte blanch of the club, he done more detrimental harm than good, and this can't be disputed. He set us back a long, long way.

I'm sure many could of filled his boots? You never saw him play then. At his best he was as good a player as Gerrard. Nobody could do what Souness did as a player. He was fantastic and I doubt anybody could fill his boots that easily.

As a manager I'm not comparing CV's or managerial abilities. I'm going solely on the dross on the pitch. Both had us playing at this disgraceful performance, that's my point.

He was one player. One. So, yes, he could be replaced as much as any other player could have been.

Yes Souey was one player, I suppose like Torres is now, I suppose Torres can be easily replaced eh? Or maybe Gerrard? Reina? Souness' era I suppose Dalglish would of been easily replace eh? After all they're only single players aren't they?

Yes. If Gerrard or Torres got sold or wanted to leave, I wouldn't cry over it and think the worst. They are one player, and one player does not make up this club. Pull your head out of the clouds and stop thinking this way. It's seriously not healthy. One way or another, this club will go on. Players come and go.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

Yes. If Gerrard or Torres got sold or wanted to leave, I wouldn't cry over it and think the worst. They are one player, and one player does not make up this club. Pull your head out of the clouds and stop thinking this way. It's seriously not healthy. One way or another, this club will go on. Players come and go.

I understand this, but the truth is they're not easily replaced and not just anybody can step into their shoes. It's a bit of a difference having Torres up front, to putting Voronin up there wouldn't you agree?
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:01 am

s@int wrote:Souness wasn't as talented as Gerrard but was a better player.........and probably the best Captain Liverpool have ever had.

Emlyn Hughes still our best ever skipper for me Saint. He may not of had the fear that Souey had, but Emlyn was a great inspirational skipper.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby mramo » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:11 am

mistyred wrote:This is such a low point for us as a club, Houllier got sacked after 10 games without a win but this is just plain madness.

How on earth did you reach that conclusion??

Have you done your mathematics properly? Liverpool's last win (before Houllier resigned) was 3 games without a victory - not 10 !!!

Sort it out mate!
mramo

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:13 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

I understand this, but the truth is they're not easily replaced and not just anybody can step into their shoes. It's a bit of a difference having Torres up front, to putting Voronin up there wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I agree. Still, it's a different position in a different era. I'm sure there were plenty of "hard" players that would have stepped up to play for us back then as there were quite a few about. Maybe not as good, but get the job done all the same.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:15 am

Souey wasn't just about being hard, he led by example, could pass a ball 100 yards and land exactly where he intended, knew how to tackle, chipped in with a few goals, and was one vicious :censored: :D

Not many on the planet were as good as him when he was at his best.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:16 am

Emlyn Hughes still our best ever skipper for me Saint. He may not of had the fear that Souey had, but Emlyn was a great inspirational skipper.

Emlyn was a great player and Captain, but each to their own I suppose.

Liverpool won 7 trophies in the 3 years Souness was Captain. 3 League titles, 3 League cups and a European cup.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby holylamb2006 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:21 am

Lads i only got in now and by the looks of the comments the anti-rafa people are around once again :D

But the result is bad ... but dnt know that team we put out so i cant my conclusion
holylamb2006

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:25 am

s@int wrote:

Liverpool won 7 trophies in the 3 years Souness was Captain. 3 League titles, 3 League cups and a European cup.

He also had Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish up front for the majority of his reign (not taking away anything off Tosh and Keegan mind you)

I'm not argueing the fact that Souness was a great captain because he was, but for me it'll always be Emlyn Hughes, probably because he was the captain when I got into footy.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:35 am

s@int wrote:

He also had Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish up front for the majority of his reign (not taking away anything off Tosh and Keegan mind you)

I'm not argueing the fact that Souness was a great captain because he was, but for me it'll always be Emlyn Hughes, probably because he was the captain when I got into footy.

Yeats was still Captain when I started watching  :D

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:37 am

s@int wrote:
s@int wrote:

Yeats was still Captain when I started watching  :D

No doubt crazyhorse learnt alot off the colousal.

Elisha Scott, great captain as a keeper  :D
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion