LIVERPOOL VS BARNSLEY - 16th feb 2008 - FA Cup 5th round

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby cavehill-reds » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:13 am

big al wrote:dry your eyes thats football. nothing worth achieving is easy there will always be pain before gain so get over it.  Bring on Milan, 4 more years

Well said Big Al :buttrock  :buttrock
cavehill-reds

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:Arsenal had no choice, they had fourteen fit first teamers, apparently anyway. But to me it was still a weakened side and this is why. How many of that starting 11 would make our first choice 11 against United? I'd say a maxium of 6 if the entire squad was fully fit. Finnan (at a push because Arbeloa and Aurellio seem to be Benitez' preferred full backs) Carra, Riise (at a push because Arbeloa and Aurellio seem to be Benitez' preferred full backs) Alonso (at a push when we'd all like Mascheranho and Gerrard) Babel, Crouch/Kuyt it can only be one of them. So 6 out of your best 11 is weakened, but to make it crystal clear, that's not me trying to find an excuse because what we had out there should of been able to win today.

I know you said ur nor making excuses but same could be said for Utd  today (don't slate me for making the comparison) who had the same number of first teamers missing and managed to thump a half decent Gunners side.

Also what I just don't get is resting Gerrard, why not Kuyt for example, as everyone points out on here he works hard for the team & runs himself ragged week in week out...or Carra who is are best defender and will be much needed next week!! The point I'm getting at is Gerrard so much more in need of a rest and a little re-charge than the others? Yeah the possibility of getting injured and missin Inter, but he could so easily of been crocked at Chelsea and been out longer so it just beggars belief as to what goes on in Rafa's head, which I wouldn't ask anyone to try and work out! :suspect:

Another year tho for him and if he doesn't learn friggin' squad rotation doesn't work and Kuyt is not ever gonna score more than 10 a season then other avenues need to be looked down.
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby azriahmad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 am

I have not been posting for some time as I have been a wee bit busy and it has been very depressing for me to see our beloved club labouring out of contention of the league title so early on in the season.

Peewee, so many of the forum members here are too young to remember what a massive player Graeme Souness was to Liverpool Football Club, most must have been young supporters when Souness was a manager. I have been a fan since 1975/76 when I was a wee lad myself then and I have seen many games when Souness was the midfield general in the middle of the park and used to boss the games we play as an enforcer and also as a playmaker. In my book, he was a legend of a player who is in the top 10 of the best player we ever had.

I have been a Rafa supporter all along, but I believe now we should concentragte on getting 4th position and then get rid of him in the summer. He has had a lot of time and unprecedented transfer funds given to him for a Liverpool manager and despite winning the Champions' League in his first season, we are nowhere near winning the league than when he was first appointed. Of the 2 Spanish managers in the EPL, I hate to say this but it seems to me that Ramos is the better one then Rafa as he has made so much progress and taking Spurs forward already despite inheriting a rubbish squad whereas Rafa is taking Liverpool backwards.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:15 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:Rafa will go....tuesday will be our watershed...its addios amigo time for the "fat spanish waiter". :nod

A sad day when a manager who won us a European Cup to be called a  "fat spanish waiter" by a "Liverpool fan".

Yeah.

:no  :(

just like its a shame when people of the calibre of souness gets abused by people who defend rafa so stoutly, souness was an immense player but still gets ridiculed by so called reds for his management, which i might add was no worse than we have now. rafa has better players yet still cant put a winning team together

Benitez is no better than Souness? Are you on glue? Put Souness's entire CV of achievements up here on the page and then put Bentez's one up beside it. Argument blown clean out of the water.

What's the difference between calling a manager a "fat waiter" and a player some of the things Souness has been called. They both led us to european cup glory. Souness was our captain in 81, he picked the trophy up, does that go out the window because of his mangerial days?

I don't agree with calling Benitez a "fat waiter" but it's the same for both.

It's not the same. Souness was only one cog in a machine as a player. I'm sure other's would have filled his boots. As soon as he got carte blanch of the club, he done more detrimental harm than good, and this can't be disputed. He set us back a long, long way.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:19 am

Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:
REDTILLDEAD wrote:Rafa will go....tuesday will be our watershed...its addios amigo time for the "fat spanish waiter". :nod

A sad day when a manager who won us a European Cup to be called a  "fat spanish waiter" by a "Liverpool fan".

Yeah.

just like its a shame when people of the calibre of souness gets abused by people who defend rafa so stoutly, souness was an immense player but still gets ridiculed by so called reds for his management, which i might add was no worse than we have now. rafa has better players yet still cant put a winning team together

Benitez is no better than Souness? Are you on glue? Put Souness's entire CV of achievements up here on the page and then put Bentez's one up beside it. Argument blown clean out of the water.

Souness

Rangers
1986-87 Scottish League Cup
1986-87 Scottish Premier League (Level 1)
1987-88 Scottish League Cup
1988-89 Scottish League Cup
1988-89 Scottish Premier League (Level 1)
1989-90 Scottish Premier League (Level 1)
1990-91 Scottish League Cup
1990-91 Scottish Premier League (Level 1)

Liverpool

1991-92 FA Cup

Galatasaray

1995-96 Turkish Cup
1996-97 Turkish Super Cup

Blackburn

2001-02 League Cup

Benitez

Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League
Winners 2004-05: 1

European Super Cup
Winners 2005 1
FA Cup
Winners 2006 1
FA Community Shield
Winners 2006 1

Valencia CF

Spanish Champions: 2
2001-02, 2003-04
UEFA Cup: 1
2003-04
account deleted by request

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:22 am

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

Souness

Rangers

Liverpool

1991-92 FA Cup

Galatasaray

1995-96 Turkish Cup

Blackburn

2001-02 League Cup

Benitez

Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League

European Super Cup
Winners 2005 1
FA Cup
Winners 2006 1
FA Community Shield
Winners 2006 1

Valencia CF

2001-02, 2003-04
2003-04

As a manager, S@int.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raj_Xedos » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 am

ok so we sack benitez....who is a suitable replacement??
Raj_Xedos

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:27 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

What's the difference between calling a manager a "fat waiter" and a player some of the things Souness has been called. They both led us to european cup glory. Souness was our captain in 81, he picked the trophy up, does that go out the window because of his mangerial days?

It's not the same. Souness was only one cog in a machine as a player. I'm sure other's would have filled his boots. As soon as he got carte blanch of the club, he done more detrimental harm than good, and this can't be disputed. He set us back a long, long way.

I'm sure many could of filled his boots? You never saw him play then. At his best he was as good a player as Gerrard. Nobody could do what Souness did as a player. He was fantastic and I doubt anybody could fill his boots that easily.

As a manager I'm not comparing CV's or managerial abilities. I'm going solely on the dross on the pitch. Both had us playing at this disgraceful performance, that's my point.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:28 am

Raj_Xedos wrote:ok so we sack benitez....who is a suitable replacement??

That's the million dollar question, mate.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:29 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

I'm sure many could of filled his boots? You never saw him play then. At his best he was as good a player as Gerrard. Nobody could do what Souness did as a player. He was fantastic and I doubt anybody could fill his boots that easily.

As a manager I'm not comparing CV's or managerial abilities. I'm going solely on the dross on the pitch. Both had us playing at this disgraceful performance, that's my point.

He was one player. One. So, yes, he could be replaced as much as any other player could have been.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:33 am

Emerald Red wrote:
s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

Souness

Rangers

Liverpool

1991-92 FA Cup

Galatasaray

1995-96 Turkish Cup

Blackburn

2001-02 League Cup

Benitez

Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League

European Super Cup
Winners 2005 1
FA Cup
Winners 2006 1
FA Community Shield
Winners 2006 1

Valencia CF

2001-02, 2003-04
2003-04

As a manager, S@int.

Those are as manager mate.

As players I don't think there would be any comparison

Postby cavehill-reds » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:33 am

As a player/manager for G.Rangers, Souness won 3 league titles and 4 scottish league cups
cavehill-reds

Postby Rush Job » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 am

Bottom line we should be in the next round. I wish someone would tell JC to stop jumping out of the way of the ball, everytime he jumps in the air and goes side on, the lad who scored the winner shouldnt of had the space shoot but he new all he had to do was aim at Carra and it would either go past him or under him and it did add to that he had the chance to clear seconds before but chose to head it 6 feet back to the oppo.  Uncertancy breeds more of the same and the poor lad looks shot.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:36 am

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
peewee wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:
Dundalk wrote:

Yeah.

Souness

Rangers

Liverpool

1991-92 FA Cup

Galatasaray

1995-96 Turkish Cup

Blackburn

2001-02 League Cup

Benitez

Liverpool FC

UEFA Champions League

European Super Cup
Winners 2005 1
FA Cup
Winners 2006 1
FA Community Shield
Winners 2006 1

Valencia CF

2001-02, 2003-04
2003-04

As a manager, S@int.

Those are as manager mate.

As players I don't think there would be any comparison

Oh, sorry mate.

I never read the first half of that post properly. Never seen the Rangers. Scanned my eyes over the post. I've been on the booze, see.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:38 am

No problem mate , I am not saying by any stretch of the imagination Souness was a better manager. I was just posting their records.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion