Liverpool v Leverkusen - Last 16 of Champions League

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:28 pm

Well said StMick. I couldn't care less if we are the underdogs, just puts more pressure on them and less on us.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 pm

Rafael Benitez has insisted his Liverpool team will shake off the disappointment of being without several key players for next week's Champions League date and get their season back on track after defeat at Birmingham. 
The Reds have been working hard in training to right the wrongs of St Andrews and the boss believes his players will be firing on all cylinders by the time Bayer Leverkusen come to Anfield on Tuesday night.

With Steven Gerrard banned and Fernando Morientes cup-tied, Benitez knows his side will face a tough task at Anfield but he reckons this may be one occasion when playing the first leg of a tie at home proves to be beneficial.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Of course it's a problem for us to be without Gerrard and Morientes for the game because they are both very important players for us.

"But the game is at Anfield and that means we will have the fans with us. Normally you prefer to play the second game at home, but maybe this time it will work to our advantage because we will need to change the team and bring different players in.

"We have been working hard this week to prepare for the game. It's a big match in our season and we want to make sure we play well on the night.

"We have a lot of time to get ready for the game because we don't play this weekend. We will do everything we can to make sure the preparations are as good as they could possibly be."

Benitez knows his players will certainly need to improve on their showing at Birmingham if they are to build a lead for the return leg in Germany.

The Liverpool boss accepts the only thing which has been consistent about his team so far has been their inconsistency, especially away from Anfield. But he remains confident that the players will deliver the goods over the remaining crucial matches of the campaign.

He said: "Our problem all season has been that we haven't been consistent. We win one or two games and then lose one or two games. We are all disappointed because we expect better.

"Maybe we will have to change things. We could change players or we could change the system. It is something weneed to discuss and sort out.

"The performance at Birmingham wasn't good enough. We didn't win any second balls, we didn't win any one versus one battles and we didn't have the right mentality to win that game.

"The players know we expect better and I am confident they will want to get that performance out of their system by winning the next game."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:25 pm

If we nick a goal then result but I would imagine we try and go for the away goal win and make them come to us in the away game.

Old Skool European Game  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:16 pm

A.B. wrote:
If Stevie G aint playing then, expect the worst!

Gerrard? He's been in poor form for quite some time now, we wore at our worse and our best with him. The player we will miss most is Alonso.

A.B, I dont know how u can say that, when Alonso has been as inconsistent as consistent! He hasn't played that well every game!

Stevie G has been the course, of all the LFc players.

And stop posting newspaper articles on here, as they are boring to read. keep it simple.
Iceman69

Postby jack66 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:23 pm

Iceman69 wrote:
A.B. wrote:
If Stevie G aint playing then, expect the worst!

Gerrard? He's been in poor form for quite some time now, we wore at our worse and our best with him. The player we will miss most is Alonso.

A.B, I dont know how u can say that, when Alonso has been as inconsistent as consistent! He hasn't played that well every game!

Stevie G has been the course, of all the LFc players.

And stop posting newspaper articles on here, as they are boring to read. keep it simple.

Hey, dont say that it saves me money. :D
jack66

Postby A.B. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:28 pm

I reckon you watch the games over again in which Alonso has played.

Stevie G the course of all the LFC players? Ok where has he been in the past two months. His performances have been poor by his standards.

He was quiet against Birmingham,Charlton,Fulham,Southampton,Man Utd,Watford[apart from the goal he barely did anything]. As a captain and as a good as a player he is he should be playing better week in and week out.

Alonso inconsistant!? Now I've heard it all. Alonso wasn't as good away as he was at home at the begining of the season however through out the season he has made a difference.

He is the one who pulls the passing strings, Gerrard is uncappable of passing as well as Alonso. Against Fulham earlier this season it was Alonso that got the midfield going.

He doesn't score the 30 yard crackers but his vision and passing ability is far superior than Gerrard's. All credit to Gerrard for playing very well for these past few years, but apart from the goal he scored against Olympiakos during that game he did not play well.

Don't get me wrong here I am not trying to put the blame on Gerrard however he has been poor, too poor for his standards in games.

The player we have missed the most is Alonso. Without Gerrard we played well, we weren't as horrible as many thought we would be. When Gerrard plays alongside Alonso he has the room to play in a attacking role in midfield and doesn't have to worry about the passing game where as when he plays alongside Hamann its a different story.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:45 pm

I think Riise and Garcia will score on tuesdy I feel it in me bones :D We just need that Pole in our goal not to conseed any :glare: Lets hope that bolloking off Rafa on monday sinks in till the end of theseason and we start getting some good results and getting 4th place for CL qualification as we have still have talent that will shine in 2005-2006 CL, and a fight to be the best in europe again. Long way off I know but you have to be optimistic sometimes thats why I love Liverpool I never give up hope. :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:51 pm

I think that Garcia,Smicer,[Kewell if he plays] and Biscan will play well against Leverkusen. The game will have a slower tempo and that will be good for players like Garcia and Biscan.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Eazy-E » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:16 am

I am really worried about Biscan. Gerrard is a smooth operator. Biscan is about as smooth as sandpaper...he's rough. Garcia is lightweight, the floodlights won't help either Garcia's afraid of his own shadow! :p I'll put a fiver saying that this will be a nil-nil. Sorry  ??? . Here is what i would go for...

Dudek

Pellegrino                             Hyypia :(
      Finnan                                                                                    Riise

Hamann                             Carragher

Nunez                                                                               Kewell

Le Tallec

Baros
''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby the great one » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:20 am

Eazy-E wrote:I am really worried about Biscan. Gerrard is a smooth operator. Biscan is about as smooth as sandpaper...he's rough. Garcia is lightweight, the floodlights won't help either Garcia's afraid of his own shadow! :p I'll put a fiver saying that this will be a nil-nil. Sorry  ??? . Here is what i would go for...

Dudek

Pellegrino                             Hyypia :(
      Finnan                                                                                    Riise

Hamann                             Carragher

Nunez                                                                               Kewell

Le Tallec

Baros

Pellegrino is unavailable thank god  :) id rather have Welsh or Potter but they might be too raw for such a high profile game. I have a feelings Luis garcia will give the ball away more than 10 times  :(
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tobin*LFC* » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 am

i wouldnt play carragher (our best defender) in midfield in such an important game like this..thats just something houllier would do ???
You'll Never Walk Alone..
Tobin*LFC*

Postby Starbridge42 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54 am

Iceman69 wrote:
jack66 wrote:Dudek
Josemi Carragher Hyppia rise
Finnan Biscan Hamann Kewell
          Garcia Baros

I would put money on rafa playing this team.

I'd rather see Riise at left midfield as he has more to offer than kewell.
Kewell should be left back. not left back in defence, but left back in the reserves.

:D

U mean 'left-right out' dont u? left back - left back in the reserves just sounds gay.  And out of interest if you were to leave Kewell in the reserves then you have got terrible commercial sense considering he is one of our highest paid players.  If you dont want him playing you dont have him at the club, not in the reserves on 65000 a week, thats something chelsea would do.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby JBG » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:03 pm

We should be too strong for Leverskusen at Anfield and they too strong for us at the Bay Arena. The tie will be settled by the odd goal as the two teams are evenly matched.

Our obvious problem, aside from the injuries of Alonso, Cisse and Pongolle, is the suspension of Gerrard for the first game and Morientes unavailability.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Still think we should have an attacking formation to beat leverkuson comfortably in the 1st league.

Dudek
    Finnan   Carra   Hyppia  Riise
    Nunez      Hamann       Kewell
           Garcia      La Tellac
                    Baros

Leverkuson has a dangerous squad. But we shouls be able to overcome that....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:54 pm

Nice one rock, Le Tallec is a superb selection LOL!!!

But then again you're the one that thinks Smicer is a centre mid, Good shout again!!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion