Carragher   Hyypia

Alonso     Gerrard
Cisse                          Kewell

Morientes  Baros

Ah... What it is to dream...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:58 pm

sorry i was reading it completly wrong.Take no notice of my last post.
jack66

Postby jack66 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:59 pm

Not sure about the idea of cisse on the wing.
jack66

Postby A.B. » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:36 pm

Alonso upset about not being able to play
He may be forced to watch from the stands next Tuesday night, but Xabi Alonso insists he'll be kicking every ball and living every moment of the drama as the Reds resume their Champions League campaign against Bayer Leverkusen.
The Germans must be thanking their lucky stars that they will travel to Anfield next week to face a Liverpool side minus the services of their two most inspirational midfielders for the first leg of the tie.

Alonso will be joined in the stands by suspended skipper Steven Gerrard as well as cup tied striker Fernando Morientes as the Reds are forced to reorganise their team in a bid to establish a lead to take to Leverkusen for the return leg two weeks later.

Gerrard will be back for the match in the Bay Arena, but the same can't be said for his Spanish team-mate who is still some weeks away from a first team return after his ankle was broken by Chelsea's Frank Lampard on New Year's Day.

After playing such an influential role in Liverpool's march to the last sixteen of the competition, Alonso admits he's devastated to be missing out on the chance to help take the club into the quarter finals.

But he's backing the players available to manager Rafa Benitez to produce the goods on the night and keep the Reds on track for Champions League success.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I am very confident we'll get the right result. I know some important and key players aren't available for the game but we still have enough good players to beat Bayer Leverkusen. If we can get a good result at home then it will be easier for us in the second leg.

"I see no reason why we can't enjoy a really good Champions League campaign this year. We can definitely get past Leverkusen and after that who knows what can happen?

"Of course from my point of view I'm very upset at missing this game. It's a very big match for the club and to have to watch from the stands is going to be very hard. I know I'll be feeling very nervous and yet there'll be nothing I can do about what's going on on the field. I'll just have to try and stay as calm as possible, but it's never easy."

Alonso was enjoying a sparkling start to his Liverpool career before a late challenge from England midfielder Lampard wrecked his season on the first day of the new year.

Manager Rafael Benitez resigned himself to being without his 10 million pound midfielder for the rest of the campaign after x-rays revealed the extent of the ankle break, but Alonso has put in endless hours of rehab work at Melwood and might yet be rewarded with a speedier than expected return to first team action.

He said: "The ankle is getting better every day. I'm maybe ahead of schedule in my rehab programme and I'm working as hard as I can to get fit as soon as possible.

"At the moment I'm spending all of my time on the bicycle, in the gym or in the pool. I'm not able to run again yet though. I'm just taking things step by step and day by day. This is a difficult injury to recover from quickly so I just need to take things slowly and not rush myself too much.

"Will I play again this season? I really hope so. I would like that a lot and I haven't given up hope of that happening. We'll just have to see. In football you never know what can happen.

"It was a very bad time for me to get injured because I was comfortable in the team and with my team-mates, I was playing well and we were getting some good results. It was a shame for me to get a bad injury at such an important stage of the season.

"I have kept my spirits high by thinking positive and by being around my family, my team-mates and the supporters. Everyone has been a big help to me because it's not easy to pick up a bad injury in your first season with a new club in a new country."

Alonso admits he felt a sense of anger at the injustice of his injury setback, but he wasn't going to allow his own misfortune to stop him following the team he was starring in until Chelsea came to Anfield.

"I have seen all of the games since I've been injured," he said. "Our results are still a bit inconsistent. We lose to Man United and Southampton and then beat Charlton and Fulham. We need to stop being so up and down.

"I think we just need time to make that happen and I'm sure that next season we will be playing at a higher level. We'll have a number of players back from long term injuries, the manager will be a year into his work here and that will make a difference to us, I'm sure."

Kewell ready for the challenge
Harry Kewell should be fit to make a first team return for the Reds against Bayer Leverkusen next week.
Kewell played an hour for the reserves on Monday night and has since suffered no reaction to the injury problems which have plagued him this season.

The return of the Aussie star is a timely one for boss Rafa Benitez, who is without Steven Gerrard and Fernando Morientes for the clash with the Germans.

"I think Harry will be able to play next week. There was no problem and he's been able to train okay," said Benitez.

"I'm sure he'll be available for the next game. We will have to see how he is for the rest of the week to make sure there are no further problems. If there aren't, I'm sure he'll be in contention. It's good news because we need him."

Benitez also revealed youngster Anthony Le Tallec is closing in on a return to the first team squad for the Champions League game after scoring goals in consecutive games for the reserves over the last couple of weeks.

"We need 18 players for the squad, but we are without Gerrard, Morientes and Pellegrino," said Benitez.

"Some players will have more chance to be involved. The possibility is there for Le Tallec, Potter, Mellor and Welsh.

"Le Tallec is playing well but the most important thing is he is trying. He is doing his best to play good football."
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Iceman69 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:41 am

Bonjourno

This tie could go either way if you ask me!

If Stevie G aint playing then, expect the worst!
I don't have any confidence in Biscan Smicer Nunez Kewell, just based on the ability factor! etc, even though they will be wearing the red shirt and we should back them!
I only expect Jamie Carragher to show any heart, and Baros some determination!
depends what Leverkusen caome to the table, be a goal either way i suspect, which aint enough!
I fell if we are gonna get knocked out, it should be in last 16 and not the semi's! that would hurt a lot.

Looking on the bright side...tommorow's forecast: sunnyspells, and a little milder with not a spot of rain!

:D
Iceman69

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:45 am

Scorchio :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:47 am

Iceman69 wrote:This tie could go either way if you ask me!

Your edging your bets aren't you  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:48 am

jack66 wrote:Dudek
Josemi Carragher Hyppia rise
Finnan Biscan Hamann Kewell
          Garcia Baros

I would put money on rafa playing this team.

I'd rather see Riise at left midfield as he has more to offer than kewell.
Kewell should be left back. not left back in defence, but left back in the reserves.

:D
Iceman69

Postby Iceman69 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:51 am

Dalglish wrote:
Iceman69 wrote:This tie could go either way if you ask me!

Your edging your bets aren't you  :D

Chuckle!

All im saying is I'm not confident about us winning the tie!
Come on, we've lost 10  league games this season, and were all over the shop against the brummies.

Im afraid if stevie g aint there. we have problems.
Iceman69

Postby Eazy-E » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:55 am

My birthday is 22 February. It sure would be a nice bday present if we won. We still have to go to the Bayerena and do something...help us. :laugh:
''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby Eazy-E » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:59 am

Score some goals plse...Milan Milan Milan.
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

''I kick :censored: and i take names. You're in my pocket. Shut your mouth. Rest your gums. I own you bitch.''
Eazy-E

Postby A.B. » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:50 am

If Stevie G aint playing then, expect the worst!

Gerrard? He's been in poor form for quite some time now, we wore at our worse and our best with him. The player we will miss most is Alonso.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:12 am

We will miss Alonso and having a covering midfield with a bit more pace and an accurate passing ability. Also worrying is the goal-shy and tackle-shy Garcia especially away and without a striker the caliber of Morrientes.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:01 pm

oohhh sh*t did not realise Gerrard is suspended.. .. but I have faith.. come on Red Men
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:16 pm

To be honest, i think Leverkeusen are probably slight favourites. :Oo:

I feel pretty confident about this game, even though we have several notable players out. For me, there are two keys to this game.

Firstly, Biscan, if he's in the starting XI, (and Baros) need(s) to step up bigger than any other time this season. He has a lot to prove this year, so we need him to be his best like he was at the Riazor earlier this season.

Secondly, defend, defend, defend. It may sound cliché, but don't let Leverkusen get an away goal. Sexy football might have to go out the door.

And finally, German teams are very technical and defensive, as are most Spanish teams. I think we have an advantage in this aspect with all the Spanish talent that we have. Look out for Luis Garcia to shine against Bayer.
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion