Liverpool complete signing - :-)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:08 pm

Adebisi wrote:remember we've already spent about £35m this season on Cisse, Alonso, Garcia, Josemi... the board have hardly been stingy!

Don't want to go on too much of a downer, but Cisse and Alonso are both crocked and unlikely to feature much again this season.
Garcia, is not exactly setting the stands on fire and Josemi looks like a dud !!
So to add that to our goalie problems, previous bad buy's of: Diouf, Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan etc. Loss of Owen and potential loss of Gerrard.
I do't get a rapid flush of confidence building when we sign a 33yr old defender, personally I was looking for a bit more this January.
Up until the loss of Alonso, we looked like taking a toe-hold on the improvement ladder, now I am not so sure if we can maintain that progess unless we buy some class quickly.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby gabbyh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:18 pm

Isn't Pellegrino class?
gabbyh

Postby Santa » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:43 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:its not a loan, we have signed him

That's right...on a six months contract with the option of another year. What skillset will he be bringing to the table? Anyone?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:44 pm

Also will he be cup-tied for the CL?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SALTROCK67 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:48 pm

He will be cuptied for the CL. :suspect:  :suspect:
SALTROCK67

Postby the great one » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:49 pm

This has got to be some joke 33?  why sign someone that old his pasted his coming over here for a holiday why did Valencia get rid of him cus his not needed and they know his finished  ???
Last edited by the great one on Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:57 pm

gabbyh wrote:Isn't Pellegrino class?

gabbyh, in all fairness, I have no idea, but I pulled the following from the LFC Website:

He can't play in the Champions League for Liverpool after a substitute appearance for Valencia against Weder Bremen. When defender Carlos Marchena was sent-off coach Claudio Ranieri wanted more defensive stability and brought Pellegrino on in the 57th minute. Valencia lost the game 2-1.

In 1999 Pellegrino was snapped up by Valencia and instantly began to form a impressive partnership in central defence alongside fellow Argentine Roberto Ayala.

He played in two Champions League finals for Valencia only to finish on the losing side twice to Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. Unfortunately Pellegrino missed a penalty in the final against the Germans.

In 2001/02, under the management of Rafael Benitez Pellegrino helped the Mestalla side to their first Spanish championship since 1971.

He didn't have much luck last season in 2003/04 when a dislocated shoulder and the form of Carlos Marchena kept Pellegrino on the sidelines and he made just 16 starts as Valencia won back the Spanish title.

In Spain, the tall Pellegrino was nicknamed 'El flaco', meaning skinny. Back in Argentina he has the more imaginative description of 'El longanizas' - which is a long pork sausage.

A Long Pork Sausage, who can't play in the CL, who has been the second string to Ayala and Marchena, he dosn't have a headline billing, but let's see.
I am more concerned, with what may or may not happen on the transfer front over the next 25 days, let's hope we get our act into gear !!   :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby SALTROCK67 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:58 pm

I bet Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd are trembling in their boots
over this signing. :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
SALTROCK67

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:04 pm

i`ve been a critic of this deal, but if we`ve only got him for six months with another year optional that aint so bad.
he might be a great signing and look at all the defenders in italy going well into their late thirties, even forty and still doing the business.
thing is, if he`s not, he wont be lounging around on a big contract like some.
this benitez fella, i like him more with every decision he makes.
simple things like common sense seem to be coming back to our decision making.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:05 pm

we need defensive cover seeing Stephane is on his way out...if it don't work we can get rid of him at the end of the season seeing he is only on a 6 month contract
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:12 pm

7_Kewell wrote:we need defensive cover seeing Stephane is on his way out...if it don't work we can get rid of him at the end of the season seeing he is only on a 6 month contract

Exactly, you have made a good point about those, 7_Kewell.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SALTROCK67 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Yep lets all stop moaning and let Raffa get on with it. :laugh:  :laugh:
SALTROCK67

Postby Adebisi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:35 pm

Going by current trends Pellegrino should be injured in about a month anyway :D
:(

The question is; is he any better than Henchoz?? both only played 4 games this season...

also, we still wont have any decent centre back cover for the Champions league if (when) Henchoz leaves
Adebisi

Postby simic_ie » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:58 pm

Depends whether or not Pellegrino has played in the CL yet this y ear... he hasn't played a huge amount for Valencia
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:00 pm

simic_ie wrote:Depends whether or not Pellegrino has played in the CL yet this y ear... he hasn't played a huge amount for Valencia

I am afraid that Pellegrino did played in the Champion's League this season, he came on from the sub bench after Carlos Marchena got sent off (I think).
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion