Liverpool complete signing - :-)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby gabbyh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:22 pm

Redrider wrote:
Paul C wrote:Their hasn't been any 'solid' news, it's all speculation at the moment, I hope rafa supprises us all and has signed a big name without the media knowing, all I know is that all this waiting is killing me :(

It's about time Parry and Moores settled on one of the Bid's for a Financial injection into the club, so that we can go out and buy some class players not just 'stop-gap' has beens like Pelligrino. Even Morientes is closer to 30yrs old than 25 and is hardly the stuff of a long term future.
Meanwhile, we stand around and watch our homegrown 24yr olds leave the club.
All this looks like a potential f%k up to me, if we are not careful.
No wonder SG is keeping his options open with the same old muppets running the ship !!

I thought SG would only stay if the same Muppets were in charge, eg Moores?

Morientes and Pellegrino are Class Players, despite their age, in fact their experience can only be of benefit to our younger players. Plus, they want to play for Liverpool as they respect Rafa.
Gary McAllister was an experienced (old) player when Houllier  bought him. He had the tactical awareness we needed at the time. SG blossomed.
I am excited by the prospect of them coming to Liverpool, their experience, passed to our youngsters would be wonderfull!! Pellegrino helping Raven anybody? Morientes passing his experience to Mellor, making Baros even better??

Good grief, am getting carried away here! I am imagining Pellegrino staying on as coach!!! Wouldn't he be a better coach than Sammy Lee??? I suppose that could be a different topic altogether!
gabbyh

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:31 pm

Great post, make some very good points
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Adebisi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:48 pm

sorry, I assume it's been discussed already but is Pellegrino available to play in Europe? Just out of interest
Adebisi

Postby Alanay » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:50 pm

I can't wait to hear that we sealed Morientes transfer. Waiting is really difficult, especially after knowing we have added more players to the injury list. Some say Anelka is linked with Barcelona (don't find any logic in it as Barcelona is going really really well in La Liga)...
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:53 pm

gabbyh, Nice dream, but it aint going to happen that way. The more likely scenario is that Gerrard will be off at the end of the season, frustrated at playing with a bunch of 'no-hopers' and 'has beens'.
There is no chance of Mellor blossoming by playing alongside even the very best in the world, that lad just dosn't have it. Baros may improve yet and limited as he is, he is the best we have available at this moment in time.
We are at a critical stage at the moment with all the injuries and so much to play for, we need the very best available, not just another bunch of cheap 'potential' purchases. We have just wasted £100m in the last 5 years on a bunch of mediocre players when 3 or 4 real class buy's would have saved our day.
My fear is that we have a repeat dose coming along again, driven by inadequate boardroom policies.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 pm

dont get your hopes up too much, its saying in the liverpool echo that benitez and liverpool has lost patience with morientes`s agent. liverpool were expecting a answer and apparently he`s (the agent) been stalling and now is in talks with lyon.
maybe liverpool are being used as a lever to get a better deal out of other clubs.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:59 pm

Redrider wrote:gabbyh, Nice dream, but it aint going to happen that way. The more likely scenario is that Gerrard will be off at the end of the season, frustrated at playing with a bunch of 'no-hopers' and 'has beens'.
There is no chance of Mellor blossoming by playing alongside even the very best in the world, that lad just dosn't have it. Baros may improve yet and limited as he is, he is the best we have available at this moment in time.
We are at a critical stage at the moment with all the injuries and so much to play for, we need the very best available, not just another bunch of cheap 'potential' purchases. We have just wasted £100m in the last 5 years on a bunch of mediocre players when 3 or 4 real class buy's would have saved our day.
My fear is that we have a repeat dose coming along again, driven by inadequate boardroom policies.

agree in general but i wouldn`t call baros limited, i think he`s world class.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby SALTROCK67 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:03 pm

This seems to happen alot when Lfc r intrested in someone.I think the only reason Raffa did not want a bidding war is because he knows he cant compete through lack of funds.Sort your selfs out LFC board,get Raffa some cash or end up even further behind the top three!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:
SALTROCK67

Postby gabbyh » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:12 pm

Redrider wrote:gabbyh, Nice dream, but it aint going to happen that way. The more likely scenario is that Gerrard will be off at the end of the season, frustrated at playing with a bunch of 'no-hopers' and 'has beens'.

Redrider, I see your point. I am trying to be optimistic because to my mind Rafa is better than Houllier in buying players to suit the team and in man management. My fear is that the boardroom will cause us to lose Rafa.
gabbyh

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:19 pm

gabbyh wrote:Redrider, I see your point. I am trying to be optimistic because to my mind Rafa is better than Houllier in buying players to suit the team and in man management. My fear is that the boardroom will cause us to lose Rafa.

i don't think so dear.....  :D. I think once a new sponsor or new investment comes in, we will be ok. It is only during this season where we are suffering due to a lack of funds...

Rafa will stay here unless real madrid  starts to cox him....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:24 pm

gabbyh, nothing wrong with a bit of optimism. But I am concerned that  boardroom politics are getting in the way of our development, just at the moment when we have our last opportunity for this season to improve the team. I am concerned with the loss of key players like Alonso and the absence of a 'strike force' and the apparent lack of activity in signing replacements. OK it is only the 5th of Jan, 25 days to go, but signing 33 year old defenders does not look like improving the situation to me, smells more of a continuation of our failed policies.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:25 pm

give him a chance.... He would be a great cover for hyppia & Carra.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Adebisi » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:26 pm

remember we've already spent about £35m this season on Cisse, Alonso, Garcia, Josemi... the board have hardly been stingy!
Adebisi

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:34 pm

and we have to save some money for morientas & aimar too.......  :D
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:04 pm

Rafa is trying it's not gona be easy as im sure if he had the funds he would pick some different players to the ones he is currently looking at BUT' then again maybe he wants experience to go with the youth in the side.

I don't think rafa would have walked into this blind folded and i can only hope that the players don't let him down.
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion