Lfc v man city - 4-3-3 possibly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby puroresu » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:04 pm

the football aint pretty.  pompey will be harder.  man city are awful away.
puroresu

Postby red37 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:09 pm

well done Reds:- great strike stevie G!

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:13 pm

Not pretty but that's mostly down to Man City packing the midfield and playing deep.  They set out their stall for a nil-nil draw and it took some great hustle from Kuyt and another brilliant run and strike from Stevie to put us ahead.  After that, I thought we were good value for a second: we were buzzing about with menace but just couldn't get the killer touch needed.  City barely troubled us at the back and Reina looked assured again.  I prefer Carra as a CB but his versatility was demonstrated today in both fullback positions.  I also thought Agger put in another assured display and his comfort on the ball is a joy to watch.  Notice how the backline works to get him the ball now?  He's clearly earmarked as the man to carry it out of defense.

Lots of positives here: another clean sheet, another home win (even a win with a makeshift team due to injuries) and a Gerrard performance that signals that he's getting back close to his best.  Kuyt continues to be a tireless worker for the cause and it was great to see him link well with Gerrard again.  I thought Robbie had a nice outing in his brief cameo, showing great intelligence and several clever little runs.  Hell, I even thought Pennant showed a good deal more purpose and skill than he has done in the past few games.

Those worrying about the aesthetics of the football need to be more patient: we've had a mare of a season so far and putting a string of wins together--no matter how ugly--and rebuilding the confidence is always the first order of business.  The flowing football will come.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby IRISHFAN » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:20 pm

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and logged on after the Man City game. I just want to ask the forum members their thoughts on Luis Garica. A lot of Liverpool fans like him but I can't see why. I think he's the worst player to pull on a Liverpool shirt in the last ten years. He can't make a simple five-yard pass, his tackling back is non-existent, his ariel prowess is a joke, he doesnt want to know about defending. He is a liability and offers nothing to the team.
If there's any fans of Garcia out there, I'd like to know why you think he's a good player, because I don't get the joke. I keep an eye on him every game and the amount of times he loses possesion  is not funny anymore. Does he have incriminating photos of Rafa ot what?
IRISHFAN

Postby Red_lass » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:22 pm

Does he have incriminating photos of Rafa ot what?

:D i wish...
Red_lass
Red_lass

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:52 pm

IRISHFAN wrote:Hello,

I'm new to this forum and logged on after the Man City game. I just want to ask the forum members their thoughts on Luis Garica. A lot of Liverpool fans like him but I can't see why. I think he's the worst player to pull on a Liverpool shirt in the last ten years. He can't make a simple five-yard pass, his tackling back is non-existent, his ariel prowess is a joke, he doesnt want to know about defending. He is a liability and offers nothing to the team.
If there's any fans of Garcia out there, I'd like to know why you think he's a good player, because I don't get the joke. I keep an eye on him every game and the amount of times he loses possesion  is not funny anymore. Does he have incriminating photos of Rafa ot what?

Welcome aboard, lad...

I think you'll find opinions on Little Luis run the gamet and he's been  discussed in many threads, including one major one:

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13788&hilit=garcia

I'm definitely in the camp that thinks he brings a lot to the team--most particularly, creativity and vital goals.  We wouldn't have won the silverware we've won in the past two seasons without the goals he's chipped in and, on occasion, our attacking play looks a little too pedestrian when he's not in.  Even today, he carved out some nice chances in the first half (I chalk his bad miss up to rustiness). 

When he's on song, he can be a wonderful player for us.  But, he's certainly not everyone's cup of tea...
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Feeney » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Just got back from the game. 3 points in the bag, which is the most important thing - but by god, it was dredgery to watch. We played for literally 15 minutes out of the whole 90 and that was immediately after we scored.

I ws also horrified by the atmosphere at the game. Not one song in the first half I heard. I've never known the Kop so quiet in all my time of going. Roll on RTK if the atmosphere is going to continue along its present course.

Garcia was poor - but then, no doubt, he will play a blinder in the next game and be a match winner - thats just the sort of player he is (I like him and have been calling for his inclusion in the squad recently, for the record). I thought Zenden in truth was just as bad. His retention of the ball, his distribution and mis-timed headers (anyone that went will know exactly what I mean) were awful. And can anyone tell me WTF is going on with our CORNERS? ?????

Agger again put in a good performance and Reina looked solid and assured again. I thought as always, Kuyt's workrate was awesome and despite some moaners, thought Crouch done his main job (holding ball up for others to join in attack) quite competently.

But still, we played pig ugly and won. 3 points. I'l be a happy man if by this time next Saturday we have since picked up another 6 against Pompey and Wigan, despite the performance. :)

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sam1979 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm

downlaod gerrards goal from here
sam1979

Postby alessandromagno » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:51 pm

Nice to see Stevie G. slowly getting back to his best.
ALESSANDRO
alessandromagno
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kop11 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:20 pm

atleast we got the win! two good wins this week! today was always going to be tiring but we did it!! well done lads
'i was made for liverpool and liverpool was made for me'

kop11

Postby Leonidas08 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:46 pm

Theres only 1 STEVIE Gerrard!!!!!!!
Leonidas08

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:59 pm

In my humble opinion on todays performances on what was a fairly poor game and fairly poor opposition (esp with Man City's dismall away form) a few things stood out for me, Agger was excellent, and considering that man city played 5 in midfield I thought Bolo Zendan did a good enuf job in there. Thought Kuyt worked hard and did well for Stevies goal. We seem to be gradually getting more confident and settled at the back (possibly due to the fact that Agger distributes the ball very very well.) Up front we dont look to great we didnt create all that much, possibly because there wasnt much coming through from the wings. Glad to see Robbie get a bit of a run, I hope he gets more though as if we start to create more chances Robbie WILL score goals...but we aren't creating enuogh yet, we badly need to get the best out of Pennant, Gonzalez, Aurelio, and Kewell (when he gets back) because at the moment, attacking wise, we are in my opinion very one dimensional. But all in all 3 points in the back, a clean sheet, and another brick in the wall at fortress anfield....
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby A.B. » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:12 pm

Couple of things that I need to get of my chest:

1. We won = 3 points, don't really care about the performances at the moment as we need the points. The performances will come once we get on a run, and at the moment I'll take any type of win whether it be ugly or not. I enjoy good football but at the moment I couldn't care less.

2. Considering that we were missing some key players, it's more than a decent result. When we were in form last year at Anfield we only managed to beat City by one goal [away as well]. Whether they're poor or not is a different story, just because they're a poor team doesn't mean that you'll automaticaly win by three or four goals.

3. There have been plenty of times where we've created chances, hit the woodwork about 25 times and got nothing out of the game. So I don't care about how we play at this moment, because playing fantastic football does not equal three points. Ask Arsenal fans after being trashed by Bolton. [They also played average football against us but won 3-0, I don't think they cared at the end of the night].
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 67-1161385641 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:24 pm

A.B, that's very true, I was impressed with Fowler as always, he came on and added intelligence to our game, how he's not been played more often is beyond me.
67-1161385641

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:26 pm

A hard fought win against another side with limited ambitions. City worked very hard to stop Liverpool playing and to a large extent they succeeded. We created very few chances but we won so onwards and upwards.

Garcia does my head in everytime he plays. :D  I hate watching him as he frustrates me to death, but how can you argue with the goals hes scored and made for us.

Kuyt had another difficult afternoon with virtualy nothing going right for him, but he showed the value of never giving up by making the block tackle for Gerrards goal.

I think Reina is getting his form back and hopefully now we can get a run of clean sheets. Samaras(sp) made me spill my drink with that shot though!
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion