Lfc v man city - 4-3-3 possibly?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby coddy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:04 am

Just a thought but with all these injuries, can we do any harm by going 4-3-3 ???

im going to assume that all three injured v PSV are out for the weekend:

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Agger  Riise

Gerrard   Zenden  Garcia

Bellamy   Crouch    Kuyt

Could it be done? ???
Last edited by coddy on Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:43 am

It could be done Coddy but Rafa could just as easily put Garcia on the right Riise on the left and bring in Warnock or Aurelio at LM.

I hope Rafa sticks with 442 . Considering how the team has been rotated this season I think it's best they stick with a formation they're all totally at ease with.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Rimetto_ » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:34 am

i think he'll start the game with

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Agger  Warnock

Garcia Gerrard   Zenden Riise

Crouch    Kuyt

But for me i'd like to see Bellamy start with Crouch. the 2 frontmen had a great game lastnight but for me it was crying out for some pace and as good as crouch and kuyt are they don't have pace. And that was evident lastnight when we broke away and the defenders had no problems getting back to cover.

I know most people on here are still holding judgement on Bellamy but even if his touch in front of goal has left him. He's a very unselfish player and creates chances for others and scares the :censored: out of defenders with his pace
Rimetto_

Postby EddieC » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am

coddy wrote:Just a thought but with all these injuries, can we do any harm by going 4-3-3 ???

im going to assume that all three injured v PSV are out for the weekend:

Reina

Finnan  Carra   Agger  Riise

Gerrard   Zenden  Garcia

Bellamy   Crouch    Kuyt

Could it be done? ???

I was thinking the same thing myself, but I can't see Rafa going with it, too attacking.

Personally I'd stick with 4-4-2, keep Gerrard in the middle with Zenden, LG on the left, and give Anderson a chance on the right. I think it's about time the lad got a chance, he's been turning out some brilliant performances for the reserves.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jkop » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:26 am

Whatever team Rafa puts out a win should be on the cards, with a win against a decent side bring on Man city.
Were not Brazil were Norn Iron.
          Faugh a Ballagh.
                YNWA
        Healy......Healy !!!!!
jkop
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:29 am

Rimetto_ wrote:i think he'll start the game with

Reina

Crouch    Kuyt

But for me i'd like to see Bellamy start with Crouch. the 2 frontmen had a great game lastnight but for me it was crying out for some pace and as good as crouch and kuyt are they don't have pace. And that was evident lastnight when we broke away and the defenders had no problems getting back to cover.

I know most people on here are still holding judgement on Bellamy but even if his touch in front of goal has left him. He's a very unselfish player and creates chances for others and scares the :censored: out of defenders with his pace

thats what i'd go with i think.

with the injuries we've got it would be nice to see some of the youngsters coming through. Hammil, anderson, guthrie have all performed well in the reserves.

and there's one question which gets asked when every line-up is announced - just where is Aureilo??
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:39 am

Rimetto_ wrote:i think he'll start the game with

Reina

Crouch    Kuyt

I would go with that team too assuming that Alonso wont be fit.

The one change i would be tempted with is to maybe rest Kuyt.  Not something that i would want to do but i did think he looked a bit tired at times last night and its not surprising with his workrate.  At the same time he has been prolific for us at home this year in the prem and im sure he will want to keep it up.  Just depends how players recover i guess.

Hope Bellamys court case goes ok, maybe it will depend on how he is mentally as to whether or not he will get a start.
mattylfc

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:41 am

mattylfc wrote:Hope Bellamys court case goes ok, maybe it will depend on how he is mentally as to whether or not he will get a start.

what date is the case?
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crouchaldinho » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:53 am

and there's one question which gets asked when every line-up is announced - just where is Aureilo??

Good question - and i have to say that i am a fan of warnock, but i think we should give Aurelio a run-out against city.

My stab at the line-up would be:

Reina

Finnan    JC      Agger      Riise

Garcia   Gerrard  Zenden  Aurelio

Crouch  Bellamy

Ive gone for Agger over Sami in defence cos i think City try to be more creative through the middle rather that bombarding a team with crosses, which i think Agger is more proficient in dealing with.
I think Kuyt could do with being rested, he's played a lot of games recently, most of them the full 90. Plus i think Bellamy is bound to score again soon, he's put in a couple of good performances of late IMO, but has been a bit unlucky. The way i see it, where better for him to get back to scoring form than against City at home?
Im hopeful Xabi will be fit for the city game, but id still be tempted to leave him on the bench from the start, maybe introduce him later if need be.
crouchaldinho

Postby mattylfc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:16 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
mattylfc wrote:Hope Bellamys court case goes ok, maybe it will depend on how he is mentally as to whether or not he will get a start.

what date is the case?

Am pretty sure it starts today mate.
mattylfc

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:57 pm

It still amazes me that people bitch about Rafa's rotation policy and yet people still go on about resting and rotating players. (I'm not havin a go at anyone in particular BTW.)
I for one think that we do need to rotate on occassions but only in small amounts.

Against Man City on Saturday I'd again stick with the team that started last night that are still fit. If Alonso isn't fit I fully expect Zenden  :sniffle  to start in the middle with Stevie.
CROUCHALDINHO's team looks pretty much like what I'd expect to start with the exception of Bellamy being in for Kuyt.

Our CB's have to be Carra and Agger from now on. It's been said plenty in various threads on here so I don't need to go into detail on here why Agger should replace Sami as 1st choice.

SATURDAY Vs. MAN CITY

Reina

Finnan    JC      Agger      Warnock

Garcia   Gerrard  Zenden  Riise

Crouch  Kuyt
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:34 pm

I thought Warnock was hurt?  Assuming Aurelio's fit, he and Riise could combine on the left.  Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see Garcia on the left, Gerrard and Zenden in the middle and Bellamy on the right, with Kuyt and Crouch up top (a 4-4-2 that could morph into a 4-3-3)--like we ended the game with yesterday.  It seems "too attacking" but we're at home against a team that doesn't travel well and who will probably play deep and play on the counter.  We might need the extra ammo.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1120597113 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Bellamy will probably start on the right with Crouch and Kuyt up front!

Bellamy has played on the right for Wales......he's good there because of his pace and the fact he can beat a man!
He'll probably be more effective there since he's having trouble scoring lately!
66-1120597113

Postby coddy » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:57 pm

whatever is played, lets just keep this home form up!!
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:52 am

this in todays Guardian:

Liverpool expect Jermaine Pennant to be fit for tomorrow's visit of Manchester City after he suffered spasms in his hamstrings. Mark Gonzalez is expected to be absent for up to a month with a torn hamstring, and Xabi Alonso is likely to be missing tomorrow after suffering a dead leg

thought so, these dead legs can take a few days at least, we'll see.  Im not sure Pennant should be used either bearing in mind the 'way' in which he seemed to want to be carried off against PSV....(something inside me hopes im wrong on that one, but...).  Besides id prefer Garcia or God forbid, Paul Anderson  Rafa?  (the lad is crying out for inclusion in the first team - if only for these type of games......famous last words eh!)  But with Alonso out, that means Zenden's inclusion which given the standard of opposition, should allow him the opportunity to flourish in midfield alongside a revitalised SG.  Absolutely nothing less than a comfortable win expected, for me. regardless.

some of Zendens thoughts ahead of the game:

BOUDEWIJN ZENDEN is looking forward to the prospect of an extended run in Liverpool's midfield but admits he has to curb his natural attacking instincts when playing in the centre alongside captain Steven Gerrard.

Gerrard - still without a goal in the Premiership this season - looked to be back towards his best in the heart of the midfield at

Anfield on Wednesday night as his second Champions League strike of the campaign set Liverpool on their way to securing first place in Group C with a 2-0 win over Zenden's former club PSV Eindhoven.

With Mohamed Sissoko sidelined, Zenden is hoping to return to the starting line-up against Manchester City tomorrow.

He said: "Obviously we're all here to play. The manager likes to rotate.

"One day you play in the Champions League, then you don't play in the league and then you play in another competition.

"In a way you just have to wait your turn. When you do get a chance you've got to do the job.

"That's why we're here. We've got a good big squad and I'm sure we'll be able to cope with any problem that comes at us."

The 30-year-old Dutchman is relishing playing alongside his skipper but admits he has to hold back from his natural forward-thinking instincts when operating next to attack-minded Gerrard.

He said: "What changes for me is that Steven (Gerrard) from that position likes to go forward.

"You need someone next to him who is there slightly more to control the game.

"When I played with Xabi (Alonso) in the middle, it was me who could get that connection with the forwards.

"You have to change slightly but I think as well, it was the fact I actually went forward that got the second goal - even in that position I feel best going forward.

"It's a tactical part of the game. From that position I still like to go forward but I have to choose my moments."

With Champions League qualification now secure, Zenden is focussing on climbing up the Premiership table as Liverpool look to improve on their current 10th position.

He said: "We look at the results we've had and the points we've won away from home and it isn't that many.

"We're all disappointed with that but we look at the positives in that the games we have played away from home have not been the easiest ones.

"We've worked really hard in training to make sure we assess the problems that we've had.

"It's not that we've been playing bad football, it's just that we haven't been able to win games."

He added: "We do have the confidence, we have to stick together and work hard to make sure we do get the results we want because we're not happy at all.

"Every game that we're winning could be the setting up of a good run.

"People like to point out the fact that we haven't won away from home in the league but we're confident we can do it."

no time like the present bolo.... ive a strange feeling he wont let us down either  (man, im being too nice to our much maligned players this morning!)  Anyway....YOUR CLUB AND ITS FANS NEED YOU!   and ill raise a glass to that....
Last edited by red37 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion