Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:52 pm

He is a striker

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Fabregas was the best player on the pitch red for me closely followed by Matic who didn't get out of second gear. The midfield wasn't even a contest and I personally don't rate ramieres at all. Chelsea used their full backs well, it's not rocket science though to do that against a side with zero width
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:34 am

Rodgers went so close, maybe too close last year and we all got way ahead of ourselves.

He took us beyond expectation but now we are all down to earth with a massive bump and can he lift us back to those
incredible heights? I suspect not.

One player clearly does make a team and whilst we have money its still not enough to sustain success.

Wages always kill us, last year was a freak not the norm and we are back to scrapping for 4th no matter who is in charge.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:37 am

Every line above that apart from acknowledging it was a freak season is rubbish, I don't quite understand how you can suggest it's anything else other than player making the team what it was, it was obvious last season and this season it's beyond glaringly obvious.

In fact it's so glaringly obvious Stevie wonder can see it with normal twenty twenty vision in his sleep.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 am

parchpea » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:34 am wrote:One player clearly does make a team and whilst we have money its still not enough to sustain success.

Suarez did make Henderson and Sterling raise their games so I disagree, one man can make a team.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:55 am

I think Luis had that influence on everyone though reg. His movement meant Gerrard could play the ball out better from deep the full backs had options to keep possession simply by playing the ball down the line as Luis was always available… when playing at the back it can be a useful out ball when a forward shows into unselfish areas. it was one of Dirk Kuyts best points.

Not only showing for passes though, his work rate as we all knew was out of this world. It rubbed off, but the good thing about him was he also allowed others to rub off on him, meaning if Sterling or Henderson started the press instead of him he would follow suit too, his link up play with Coutinho at times was also as good as anything in Europe. If they were both at seventy five percent or more we looked so dangerous it was unreal.

His effect was also on Sturridge, Danny is a really good player but I bet you he will never have a season like last, and he will never work that hard for the team either again.

The reality is I still talk about Luis because it's so obvious how good he was to me. It seems hardly anyone can appreciate when we seen last season. He is without a doubt the single most talented player to pull on the red shirt ever. He was THAT good.

We need to move on, we need a change of style and system and we need to do it now. We need to play on the counter with width on the right and play Coutinho slightly from the left side getting Enrique in behind and try and get him into games the way arsenal used to use Pires, we need to use Mario coming deep, Danny and Sterling to get the ball forward quickly and on the counter and use them as the players who will get in behind.

Tactically at the back we need to stop with the flat football that goes nowhere and the high risk stuff as our midfield and half of the defence don't have the quality to do that and get back to being an attack minded unit, it doesn't have to go long to be attacking, backwards and square passes though come from a lack of movement. Too mmuch side to side rubbish at the back doesn't make you hard to beat or Barcelona, it just makes you look stupid when seven or eight passes later it's going long anyway…
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:23 am

From last nights Metro...

Liverpool owners begin ‘assessing’ whether to sack Brendan Rodgers

Liverpool’s owners have started assessing whether to sack manager Brendan Rodgers following the Reds’ poor start to the season.

Italian website Tuttomercato leaked the news and they claim Fenway Sports are unhappy with the former Swansea chief and could dispose of him.

Rodgers still retains the support of many Liverpool fans despite the club winning just four of their 11 Premier League matches this term, whilst also struggling in the Champions League.

It’s claimed that no decision has been taken yet, but the 41-year-old’s future ‘hangs in the balance’.

More news is expected shortly, with Liverpool set to face some crunch fixtures, including in Europe as they bid to get out of the group stages.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:21 am

cardiff-red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:23 am wrote:From last nights Metro...

Liverpool’s owners have started assessing whether to sack manager Brendan Rodgers following the Reds’ poor start to the season.

Italian website Tuttomercato leaked the news and they claim Fenway Sports are unhappy with the former Swansea chief and could dispose of him.

Rodgers still retains the support of many Liverpool fans despite the club winning just four of their 11 Premier League matches this term, whilst also struggling in the Champions League.

It’s claimed that no decision has been taken yet, but the 41-year-old’s future ‘hangs in the balance’.

More news is expected shortly, with Liverpool set to face some crunch fixtures, including in Europe as they bid to get out of the group stages.

Can't see that being true, one thing FSG have shown is that they are not trigger happy when it comes to sacking managers.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 am

I personally think they sacked Dalglish far to soon so not sure about that yakka.

Add that to then watching Rodgers spunk £200,000,000 up the wall on rubbish then I'm hoping on this occasion they are going to be slightly trigger happy. Rodgers is not the man, he's proven beyond any doubt he's not upto the job and he's proven absolutely nothing in the game as of yet.

Last season was clearly down to the easiest thing in football, having one of the best players in the world and allowing him to show it. Its not difficult, its not great management and its not wizardry. Its something any half qualified coach would understand how to do. Especially when the player is someone is as versitile to different systems and situations within a match as Suarez was. He can play in any system, he has every attribute, he doesn't need someone to "get the best out of him". All he needs is a few half decent players around him and he can make a team.

Simple as that.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:06 am

Everyone knows that BR was inspired by Bielsa following the seminar he attended and consequent discussions they had. This resulted in the way we played last season. This season, he's reverted back to his 'philosophy' aka Barcelona style, which for all intense and purposes is now an almost outdated way of playing. He's  dropped everything from last season. His stubbornness and arrogance in sticking with this old Barcelona style way of playing shows that he does not have the presence of mind to be a good Manager (he is a Coach, never a Manager, not yet, as I've said previously).  He made several promises to the Owners about the EPL title, CL etc. He will not be able to deliver if LFC continue in the same vain, and because he is so stubborn and arrogant (not getting the help required when it's really needed, because he thinks all the right Coaches are already at the Club). Imo, I think he'll be gone before the seasons finished.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:41 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:23 pm wrote:From last nights Metro...

If the owners move forward with this (FWIW, I don't think the owners will sack him. Rodgers is their type of manager. Good PR man. Hardly questions authority. Good Youth team coach...etc), I hope they get a manager who has experience managing teams Europe/champions league. Not to forget winning league titles...etc.  And someone who is "big" enough to not to bow down to player power.

I reckon one of the reasons we missed out on Sanchez, Costa, Mkhitaryan..etc is because Rodgers is not a big time manager. Maybe those players were more comfortable trusting their career under someone with more experience with handling big players. I think King Kenny was a big factor in getting Suarez to come to Liverpool.

Another thing which pi$$es me off. Just look at all the players Rodgers fell out with. It seems it is easier for him to ostracise players than to rotate the team.  And this is affecting the squad harmony.

Its so evident that Rodgers is out of his league when it comes to managing a big squad with huge egos (which is needed if we are gonna challenge for numerous trophies every season). He is pretty good in coaching youth players. I give him that. But is that enough for a big club like Liverpool ? Roberto Di Matteo won the champions league with Chelsea. But he was still let go because he could not handle managing a big team.

Maybe a decade down the road....Rodgers might become a world class manager (If he keeps his ego in check and learns from his mistakes). But we need someone better if we want to play with the big boys.

FSG can still keep their purchasing of money-ball, potential players. But they can't cut corners when it comes to the Manager. They need to understand. You can have a young team. But it does not mean you need a young manager to manage them. Get the right manager and everything falls in place.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:45 pm

All this rubbish  about style does my head in. Quality players define your style, nothing else. You can't get Henderson to play like Fabregas or Xavi, you pick players to play a certain way, you don't play players to a certain style. You can't teach slow players to run fast or lazy players to press a ball. It doesn't work like that.

Mario has had some ridiculous stick since he signed for being used like Luis, he will never give what Luis did, he's totally different. What the Muppet has done is swapped an F1 car for a Mercedes E class and expected to drive it the same and get the same results instead of adapting to the new style and embracing it and trying to get the best out of it.

Personally I just think it's another idiotic move for a man well out of his depth by trying force a square peg into a round hole.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:56 pm

All this rubbish  about style does my head in. Quality players define your style, nothing else. You can't get Henderson to play like Fabregas or Xavi, you pick players to play a certain way, you don't play players to a certain style. You can't teach slow players to run fast or lazy players to press a ball. It doesn't work like that.

Mario has had some ridiculous stick since he signed for being used like Luis, he will never give what Luis did, he's totally different. What the Muppet has done is swapped an F1 car for a Mercedes E class and expected to drive it the same and get the same results instead of adapting to the new style and embracing it and trying to get the best out of it.

Personally I just think it's another idiotic move for a man well out of his depth by trying force a square peg into a round hole.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:22 pm

As I've said, FSG is a business. American too. Contract length, time, tradition, they don't mean a great deal to FSG and if it comes to it, and 8 out of 10 cats think he's taken us as far as he can, BR will likely be "asked to leave". They want to make money. One saving grace for BR could actually be his failure to assemble a CL squad. If we had, and we're paying CL standard wages and then failed to qualify this season, we'd be bleeding money and could be in serious trouble.
So he might actually benefit from being cr*p.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:56 pm wrote:All this rubbish  about style does my head in. Quality players define your style, nothing else. You can't get Henderson to play like Fabregas or Xavi, you pick players to play a certain way, you don't play players to a certain style. You can't teach slow players to run fast or lazy players to press a ball. It doesn't work like that.

agree.
with rodgers though i feel some of those players aren't being coached to a better level but just to conform to how he wants them to play. sahin moaned about being played out of position and found himself sent packing because of it. with rodgers its a case of if you want to play then you do it my way or your out the door.
Its never about the players  :no  its all about his revolutionary system that our players should be proud to be a part of  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion