Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:17 pm

Most of you oldies know what im like. If i had my way id be on the phone ,hed give his notice in and walk across the sea. Can of worms.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 pm wrote:
You don't see how that is a problem? He misses out on the title by a whisker and wants to sign 2 big name players but ends up getting 9? The vast majority of them 21 or under and only 2 of them over 25?
When the new man inevitably encounters the same problems how long is everyone going to give him Red? How long before everyone starts getting on his back? Are we trying to set a new record in the world of football or something, 6 managers in as many years?
IMO it's high time Liverpool fans stopped moaning and started circling the wagons again just like we used to do whenever we encountered tough times in the past, football is full of highs and lows and instead of crying and whinging for a quick fix every time we hit a low how about showing a bit of faith and a bit of loyalty, I know those two words have gone out of fashion somewhat at LFC these days but believe it or not once upon a time this club was built upon them.

I can't quite put into words how naive this actually is. I don't know where you got he wanted to sign "2 top class players" from... but thats not the impression I got what so ever and I don't believe its the impression most other fans got either. As I recall, he was linked with this exciting player and that exciting player when he first came here and one of them was described as a marvelous capture for the club who will excite the fans,.. that player turned out to be Borini.

It was crystal clear for anyone with an ounce of intelligence for anyone to see what was happening last season, everyone could see we were a one man team near enough, yet no-one bothered to actually acknowledge this.

We had a poor goalkeeper, a distinctly average defence and a midfield which lacked the ability to defend well and offer control in most matches, despite its ability to create chances.

Now, this summer, had these issues been addressed and corrected, the problems with Sturridge and lack of goal threat is something most fans would have accepted as some sort of excuse, I certainly wouldn't have been as tough on him, but the fact that I could see these problems last season proves to me how wrong Brendan is for this job.

Whats worse, is people still believe we should now be trying to mould Balotelli into "a Rodgers" players or whatever. The fact is, you pick your system based on your players, not the other way round. Rodgers keeps picking the same players to do jobs they aren't suited too... then looks lost as to why none of it is working... Instead of realising he now needs to change from last seasons formula due to losing his best player and the heartbeat of the side, he tries to stick with it and ask someone so different to do the same job. What is even more brain dead, is Balotelli is a really good footballer, yet he's managing to make the lad look like a complete chump.

Mario is never going to be Suarez, but played in the right system with the right players around him will cause teams problems and has plenty of quality of his own to offer. Yet Rodgers seems to want to spit his dummy out instead of doing whats best for LFC keeps persisting on making a point of trying these stupid formations with the wrong players doing the wrong jobs.

Since Rodgers has came here:

He, and he alone, none of this committee bull*hit is responsible for spending £220,000,000. That is a truely amazing amount of money. Even if Rodgers is only responsible for half of this money spent, its still absolutely nowhere justified, as even £100,000,000 in two years is still an astonishing amount.

Since Rodgers came in, he's overpayed massively for far to many players, missed out on players only to then later over pay for them, signed the wrong players and most importantly, signed players who aren't needed and don't improve the team. Even more importantly again, most of the money spent he doesn't get the best out of due to him having his "system" rather than sorting out his "system" around his better players.

Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli and Sturridge is a front four more than capable of getting into the champions league. Yet Rodgers has failed to get anything out of any of them this season (Sturridge excluded). But if you look at the rest of the side, it doesn't make sense, the players contradict each others strengths, we're still reliant on players who aren't good enough like Lucas, Henderson, Skrtel, Johnson, and Mignolet and now to a point Gerrard.

Gerrard was 31 when Rodgers came in, why on earth wasn't he replaced years ago as a first team regular?

Why is Mignolet STILL here after proving how bad he was last season?

Why were better players than we currently have released? Some of them young players as well.

Why were some of them released for buttons? (Reina, Kelly and Agger... the basis of a good back four)

Why was the system not changed when Suarez was sold?

Why was Suarez allowed to leave?

Why would anyone want to play for us given his critisism of Balotelli after 7 games?

Rodgers took over us in 7th place, conceding a shed load of goals and inconsistent. Rodgers will leave this summer, £220,000,000 spent, with us around 7th place and a shed load of goals conceded. The man's beyond a crook. I believe had we given any manager in the top 5 leagues £200,000,000 to improve us over three years they'd have acheived it. I'd have expected to personally.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 pm

In one Stu. His mistakes got overlooked last season because of the little lad. Been shown up now though for the Character of a man that he is sometimes clueless. As far as im concerned the job of managing us came to early. Would of been far better learning his trade a bit more in the prem.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Some "supporters" are naive beyond belief...where is it written that we (LFC) should only operate in a certain way? Some people just cannot keep pace with the reality of today's fast moving world. I'll say no more as it just get me fumed and it all comes down to one thing...let's cut our losses and get this joker out of the door. He showed no loyalty to his wife when he gained fame so who knows loyalty more than this guy, eh?

This article is pretty much sums up what I felt.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11284410/Liverpools-problems-Delusions-of-grandeur-transfer-duds-and-failure-to-fix-clear-flaws-in-the-squad.html
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:50 pm

I half want Brendan to go myself just to see how long it takes before the whiners start again, they've already whinged their way through 4 managers in 5 years so it will be interesting to see how long the next fella lasts.
You'll never whine alone should be our theme tune now.
Seriously 4 managers in 5 years is an absolute disgrace and some people actually want to make that 5? Wtf has happened to this club?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Blame the owners for that . Not the fans ! The fans have every right to whine considering the money they pay to watch them . Did the fans even want Kenny Dalglish to go? I think the majority would have given him more time .
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:27 pm

Liverpool fans are known to be the most patient bunch of supporters in the premier league. Lets not kid ourselves.......if any other team had a start like us after spending so much money in the summer.....the fans will be literally on the manager's case every week.

So why...... are our fans so upset with Rodgers when we are known to back our managers more compared to other fans. Well, the answer is Rodgers. He is just not a likeable man. He talks loads of cr@p. He sticks his nose in other peoples business (his comment about Vincent tan, His appaling comment on Southampton lacking ambition, his comment on LVG to struggle in this league...etc). It seems he spends more time preparing his speeches for the press instead of working on the team's deficiencies...

My whole family & sizeable number of friends are huge LFC supporters. In recent years, we used to argue a lot about managers. So when Rafa, Houllier & the king were sacked, not all of us agreed with those decisions.

But when it comes to Rodgers.....I can categorically tell you, everyone of them think he is the wrong person for this club. It is universal. He is just not likeable. So when his $hit hits the fan... its no surprise when he does not get as much support as our ex managers.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:49 am

When it comes to arriving at the conclusion  a manager has had his day, I'm usually one of the last to admit defeat ,call it romanticism ,call it sentimentality ,call it
a rigid belief in a Liverpool fans way of going about their business.....So its with a heavy heart  that  I will openly admit I have nothing left in the tank to proffer in the
man's defence,as Tuesday's farce was inexcusable for a man who has been tasked to retrieve our collective hopes and dreams.

A game so important to the collative inside Anfield was treated with utter contempt and sheer cowardice by Rodgers, and it was mirrored by the players he opted to field.
Never have I seen a first half performance with so many  disinterested players ,never have I seen a game of this significance so bereft of passion and heart,and it was
arguably the most torturous 90 minutes I have ever had to endure . If Rodgers intentions were to obliterate any shred of hope we had at once again dining at the big table
then he couldn't have proffered no greater pointer than that fucking team sheet..... Absolutely disgusted with the fella.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:08 am

Stu the Red » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:59 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:34 pm wrote:
You don't see how that is a problem? He misses out on the title by a whisker and wants to sign 2 big name players but ends up getting 9? The vast majority of them 21 or under and only 2 of them over 25?
When the new man inevitably encounters the same problems how long is everyone going to give him Red? How long before everyone starts getting on his back? Are we trying to set a new record in the world of football or something, 6 managers in as many years?
IMO it's high time Liverpool fans stopped moaning and started circling the wagons again just like we used to do whenever we encountered tough times in the past, football is full of highs and lows and instead of crying and whinging for a quick fix every time we hit a low how about showing a bit of faith and a bit of loyalty, I know those two words have gone out of fashion somewhat at LFC these days but believe it or not once upon a time this club was built upon them.

I can't quite put into words how naive this actually is. I don't know where you got he wanted to sign "2 top class players" from... but thats not the impression I got what so ever and I don't believe its the impression most other fans got either. As I recall, he was linked with this exciting player and that exciting player when he first came here and one of them was described as a marvelous capture for the club who will excite the fans,.. that player turned out to be Borini.

It was crystal clear for anyone with an ounce of intelligence for anyone to see what was happening last season, everyone could see we were a one man team near enough, yet no-one bothered to actually acknowledge this.

We had a poor goalkeeper, a distinctly average defence and a midfield which lacked the ability to defend well and offer control in most matches, despite its ability to create chances.

Now, this summer, had these issues been addressed and corrected, the problems with Sturridge and lack of goal threat is something most fans would have accepted as some sort of excuse, I certainly wouldn't have been as tough on him, but the fact that I could see these problems last season proves to me how wrong Brendan is for this job.

Whats worse, is people still believe we should now be trying to mould Balotelli into "a Rodgers" players or whatever. The fact is, you pick your system based on your players, not the other way round. Rodgers keeps picking the same players to do jobs they aren't suited too... then looks lost as to why none of it is working... Instead of realising he now needs to change from last seasons formula due to losing his best player and the heartbeat of the side, he tries to stick with it and ask someone so different to do the same job. What is even more brain dead, is Balotelli is a really good footballer, yet he's managing to make the lad look like a complete chump.

Mario is never going to be Suarez, but played in the right system with the right players around him will cause teams problems and has plenty of quality of his own to offer. Yet Rodgers seems to want to spit his dummy out instead of doing whats best for LFC keeps persisting on making a point of trying these stupid formations with the wrong players doing the wrong jobs.

Since Rodgers has came here:

He, and he alone, none of this committee bull*hit is responsible for spending £220,000,000. That is a truely amazing amount of money. Even if Rodgers is only responsible for half of this money spent, its still absolutely nowhere justified, as even £100,000,000 in two years is still an astonishing amount.

Since Rodgers came in, he's overpayed massively for far to many players, missed out on players only to then later over pay for them, signed the wrong players and most importantly, signed players who aren't needed and don't improve the team. Even more importantly again, most of the money spent he doesn't get the best out of due to him having his "system" rather than sorting out his "system" around his better players.

Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli and Sturridge is a front four more than capable of getting into the champions league. Yet Rodgers has failed to get anything out of any of them this season (Sturridge excluded). But if you look at the rest of the side, it doesn't make sense, the players contradict each others strengths, we're still reliant on players who aren't good enough like Lucas, Henderson, Skrtel, Johnson, and Mignolet and now to a point Gerrard.

Gerrard was 31 when Rodgers came in, why on earth wasn't he replaced years ago as a first team regular?

Why is Mignolet STILL here after proving how bad he was last season?

Why were better players than we currently have released? Some of them young players as well.

Why were some of them released for buttons? (Reina, Kelly and Agger... the basis of a good back four)

Why was the system not changed when Suarez was sold?

Why was Suarez allowed to leave?

Why would anyone want to play for us given his critisism of Balotelli after 7 games?

Rodgers took over us in 7th place, conceding a shed load of goals and inconsistent. Rodgers will leave this summer, £220,000,000 spent, with us around 7th place and a shed load of goals conceded. The man's beyond a crook. I believe had we given any manager in the top 5 leagues £200,000,000 to improve us over three years they'd have acheived it. I'd have expected to personally.

Top post Stu! lots of truth in it :nod

But I wouldn't be that harsh, and I would stick with him at least till the end of the season and see if he can manage something up.

I know some fans are giving him a ''free pass'' season, which is utter b^llox because it's been 3 years and the same problems exist.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:45 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:50 pm wrote:I half want Brendan to go myself just to see how long it takes before the whiners start again, they've already whinged their way through 4 managers in 5 years so it will be interesting to see how long the next fella lasts.
Seriously 4 managers in 5 years is an absolute disgrace and some people actually want to make that 5? Wtf has happened to this club?

Yakka, I really can't understand where you are coming from and over the last few days your reputation as a knowledgeable poster on these forums has truly diminished with what you have been writing. You clearly are justifying your argument based on blind faith alone.  :no

As many people on this forum are blatantly pointing out it is unacceptable to have spent so much money and offer so little in return. In fact it's probably the worst 220m spent (or should it be miss-spent) in the HISTORY of the game, that's how bad it is! I can't believe that you are actually defending the indefensible. To a certain degree you are right in saying that Rodgers has a ridiculous operating model to adhere to when signing player but to excuse him altogether of ALL the dross that has come in under his management is beyond insane. He is partially if not mostly responsible for this debacle.

When he took the job he was under NO allusions of what the owners wanted to see, he THOUGHT he could bring in the world's best young players and mould a trophy winning side with a certain football "philosophy". He has failed miserably in not only understanding the structure and politics which are imposed by the club, it's owners and recruitment team but also failed in bringing in any real quality over summer with the biggest ever budget allocated to a Liverpool manager in the club's history! His stupidity and naivety has finally caught up with him in assuming that he could continue playing like he did last season without Suarez and Sturridge, playing Gerrard in a DM role for most of this season and continually picking players like Johnson, Skrtel, Allen and Henderson in the side . It has been quiet frankly embarrassing to watch him make mistake after mistake week in week out. I'm not the only one pointing this out, as many forum members have raised that the old faithful at Liverpool games are also dismayed at the way things have panned out.

My last point hits home what I have been saying for weeks now. Rodgers like Martinez (and AVB) are all in the same mould. Spineless "yes men" who are here to collect a very large salary and put Liverpool FC on their CV, nothing more nothing less. As much as I didn't like Benitez, the man stuck to his guns and took on Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dum in the boardroom and showed us what it truly means to have Liverpool in your heart beyond a regular paycheck. He wanted the best for Liverpool, despite the fact that he was flawed himself in bringing in the right players. Rodgers isn't even a shadow of that, he is nothing more than a gutless parrot on auto-play with his idiotic sound bites and shiny teeth. He was never a Liverpool manager in my eyes and is a reflection of everything that is wrong with the game today.

Let's make no mistake that these are dark days ahead and irrespective of whether Rodgers is our manager at the end of the season, very difficult questions need to be asked of our owners, management team and recruiting policies beyond that.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Octsky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:58 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:50 pm wrote:I half want Brendan to go myself just to see how long it takes before the whiners start again, they've already whinged their way through 4 managers in 5 years so it will be interesting to see how long the next fella lasts.

ur presentation of the data is biased, coz rafa stayed 5 years before being sacked.
so if you included rafa start year and not end year, we had 4 managers in the last 10 years,
if you included houllier years, we had 5 managers in the last 15 years.
similarly manu had 2 managers in the past 2 years but only 3 managers in the past 30 years.
perhaps the appointment of br in the first place was wrong, what did he achieved in the past to
warrant a top 5 job in english football? playing "pretty" football with swansea?
what has he won? nothing.
br is someone with no track record and he knew he had to strengthen the defense and replace
suraez in which he did neither. now he maybe paying the price.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby ballotelliman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:13 am

Ive got another great idea. Lets be honest we cannot defend for toffee. Weve lost that battle hardness. Sack rodgers bring in i know your all gona laugh  tony pulis hes available and lets be honest we aint gona win feckall this season or get top 4. Let him do all the donkey work with our mushy defenders then in summer wind him up dont give him any money and the man wiil walk lol. im not kidding we have to sort out the defence its that simple. If brendan was clever he would ask him to come in as his number 2 but we all know hes way to stubborn to do that.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:47 am

ballotelliman » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:13 am wrote:Ive got another great idea. Lets be honest we cannot defend for toffee. Weve lost that battle hardness. Sack rodgers bring in i know your all gona laugh  tony pulis hes available and lets be honest we aint gona win feckall this season or get top 4. Let him do all the donkey work with our mushy defenders then in summer wind him up dont give him any money and the man wiil walk lol. im not kidding we have to sort out the defence its that simple. If brendan was clever he would ask him to come in as his number 2 but we all know hes way to stubborn to do that.

Pulis.

One man minority right there.

Talk about throwing away any sense of history. Hodgson was the "safe" bet, we played boring football and the consensus was everyone hated it. Pulis is worse that Hodgson.

Pulis  :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:49 pm wrote:When it comes to arriving at the conclusion  a manager has had his day, I'm usually one of the last to admit defeat ,call it romanticism ,call it sentimentality ,call it
a rigid belief in a Liverpool fans way of going about their business.....So its with a heavy heart  that  I will openly admit I have nothing left in the tank to proffer in the
man's defence,as Tuesday's farce was inexcusable for a man who has been tasked to retrieve our collective hopes and dreams.

A game so important to the collative inside Anfield was treated with utter contempt and sheer cowardice by Rodgers, and it was mirrored by the players he opted to field.
Never have I seen a first half performance with so many  disinterested players ,never have I seen a game of this significance so bereft of passion and heart,and it was
arguably the most torturous 90 minutes I have ever had to endure . If Rodgers intentions were to obliterate any shred of hope we had at once again dining at the big table
then he couldn't have proffered no greater pointer than that fucking team sheet..... Absolutely disgusted with the fella.

I disagree mate, yes the team sheet was negative and the first half abysmal but I thought the second half was probably the best half of football we've put together so far this season, especially considering we were down to 10 men for most of it. If we would have managed to score another goal that comeback would have went down in Anfield folklore so I don't know how you can describe the whole 90 minutes as torturous.
Managers these days don't seem to get the opportunity to put things right, as we both know Shankly went through some tough times himself at the end of the 60's, one particular season we were beaten at home by the likes of Everton and United (United beat us 4-1 at Anfield, imagine the reaction of these modern fans to that!), we were knocked out of Europe in November by the mighty Veroria Setubal and knocked out of the F.A cup by second division Watford in one of the most infamous results in our history.
Before anyone starts going on about money by the standards of the day Shankly spent big money around that time on flops like Tony Hateley, Alun Evans and even John Toshack (who scored 4 league goals in his first season) to try and get us back challenging again, it was only when Kevin Keegan arrived from Scunthorpe that everything seemed to click.
Good job Shankly wasn't around in this era, he would have been well hounded out before he had the chance to put together that team that eventually conquered English and European football under Bob.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:34 am wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:49 pm wrote:When it comes to arriving at the conclusion  a manager has had his day, I'm usually one of the last to admit defeat ,call it romanticism ,call it sentimentality ,call it

I disagree mate, yes the team sheet was negative and the first half abysmal but I thought the second half was probably the best half of football we've put together so far this season, especially considering we were down to 10 men for most of it. If we would have managed to score another goal that comeback would have went down in Anfield folklore so I don't know how you can describe the whole 90 minutes as torturous.
Managers these days don't seem to get the opportunity to put things right, as we both know Shankly went through some tough times himself at the end of the 60's, one particular season we were beaten at home by the likes of Everton and United (United beat us 4-1 at Anfield, imagine the reaction of these modern fans to that!), we were knocked out of Europe in November by the mighty Veroria Setubal and knocked out of the F.A cup by second division Watford in one of the most infamous results in our history.
Before anyone starts going on about money by the standards of the day Shankly spent big money around that time on flops like Tony Hateley, Alun Evans and even John Toshack (who scored 4 league goals in his first season) to try and get us back challenging again, it was only when Kevin Keegan arrived from Scunthorpe that everything seemed to click.
Good job Shankly wasn't around in this era, he would have been well hounded out before he had the chance to put together that team that eventually conquered English and European football under Bob.

Yes it would have gone down in Anfield folklore but people would still have looked at the first half and original team selection and questioned his decisions. Also if he had selected a team to go out and win the match in the first place we would still be in the competition, he didn't, he bottled it at home against Basle, not RM or Barca, Basle and that is totally unacceptable. I don't know how you can compare BR to Shanks.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion