JAY SPEARING - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 pm

GYBS wrote:Wasnt the greatest last night and was outperformed by lucas quite easily .

You'll stop at nothing keeping stuff going.

Just because you have previously defended Lucas you posted that.

I thought Jay did ok last night and was unlucky with his left foot shot from outside the area.

I'll stick to my opinion that if he had played all of last season in the place of Lucas more people would rate him.

I know that you disagree but thats fine.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby GYBS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:09 pm

pardon me for posting my thoughts on last nights match and the fact i thought someone played better than him . Im sorry but i see nothing in spearing that stands him out amongst his peers in a very competitive position in the prem and just cant see him being a future starter . Yes he is a little battler and could play the odd cc cup game but just cant see him doing that well in the prem tbh . Im sorry if that is not what you want to hear but think there is a number of ressies who have a better chance of making it than him .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:51 pm

You have gone on about the two in the past and used last nights game (when Spearing played only a half) to try and make a comparison.

Lucas has been non existent for 2 seasons now, but for one great pass to Stevie when Newcastle where dead and buried whohoo.

Jay could come in and do just as steady a job if needed but for some reason doesnt get a look in.

Put it one way if Lucas can play centre midfield for liverpool then Spearing wouldnt let anyone down.
Ben Patrick

Postby Nando26 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:39 pm

insua, kelly, lucas, pacheco, nemeth and ngog are our best youngsters from what ive seen and are all ready for more games this season

but spearing along with darby just lack that little bit of quality imo might be steady and reliable in reserve and youtrh football but you need more then that at our level
Nando26

Postby Nando26 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:You have gone on about the two in the past and used last nights game (when Spearing played only a half) to try and make a comparison.

Lucas has been non existent for 2 seasons now, but for one great pass to Stevie when Newcastle where dead and buried whohoo.

Jay could come in and do just as steady a job if needed but for some reason doesnt get a look in.

Put it one way if Lucas can play centre midfield for liverpool then Spearing wouldnt let anyone down.

lucas is far far better then spearing cant believe some people are so into the ''we want homegrown locaL boys coming through' thing that they make rediculous comments like this
Nando26

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Nando26 wrote:insua, kelly, lucas, pacheco, nemeth and ngog are our best youngsters from what ive seen and are all ready for more games this season

but spearing along with darby just lack that little bit of quality imo might be steady and reliable in reserve and youtrh football but you need more then that at our level

Ngog is not anywhere near good enough. Cant see what people see in him at all.
Infact he is even slightly more annoying for me as he has taken up a place in the squad and is preventing Nemeth and Pacheco getting more opportunities.
Ben Patrick

Postby dawson99 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Nando26 wrote:insua, kelly, lucas, pacheco, nemeth and ngog are our best youngsters from what ive seen and are all ready for more games this season

Ngog is not anywhere near good enough. Cant see what people see in him at all.
Infact he is even slightly more annoying for me as he has taken up a place in the squad and is preventing Nemeth and Pacheco getting more opportunities.

gotta agree with that.

I don't see much difference at all between the 3, but Ngog is getting all the chances, leaving the other 2 in nowhereland
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Nando26 wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:You have gone on about the two in the past and used last nights game (when Spearing played only a half) to try and make a comparison.

lucas is far far better then spearing cant believe some people are so into the ''we want homegrown locaL boys coming through' thing that they make rediculous comments like this

Are you an alter ego of gybs ?

Ok now you have said he is much better please explain why ?

Am not saying Jay is brilliant or good enough to be a regular.
What i am saying is that he is good enough to be a squad player.
Lucas cost alot of money for a kid and has had two seasons to settle. He is clearly not upto it.
He is not sh!te but also not good enough either.

I wouldnt say there is much between the two players personally and if you think there is, tell ,me what ?
Ben Patrick

Postby Penguins » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Lucas is more the safe bet, tidier with his passing and better technique on the ball. He seem to have better offensive potential than Jay if he should dare come close to the penalty box.  Lucas is one whimp with some defensive liabilties right now though.

Jay is more like a terrier who sometimes tries to hard passes and seems limited deciding when to make which pass. What he does have is lack of fright to do something wrong.

Saying this Masch and Aqualiani is way ahead of both in ability right now. Lucas needs to grow some ***** to fullfll his potential or he should be shipped out.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 pm

vaguely_familiar_poster wrote:Am not saying Jay is brilliant or good enough to be a regular.
What i am saying is that he is good enough to be a squad player.

I don't say that much, but I share the opinion of this player deserving to prove himself in a few competition games, the lad deserves the chance to prove he's good enough to be a squad player as the games he's played so far were unimportant and without the strongest team surrounding him.

We can't write off the lad for the first squad just because he didn't impress in the unimportant games he has played so far, what he played he played simple and well done. At least I think he deserves the chance of getting minutes in controlled games (2-0) or cup games. We won't see Gerrards every three years, and I think we have to be patient with the youngsters.

As a predicting game it's fun to say this lad will make it or not, but the history of football is full of players that evolved into decent players that can make a job for us in some games. I haven't seen lots of talent in this lad but I think it's far too early to say he's not good enough for the squad.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 pm

I don't understand all the dislike for N'gog. I don't think people realize that he is younger than Nemeth.  I think a lot has to do with Nemeth showing up a year earlier and "putting his time in for the reserves"  You don't really think that N'gog during that same time was getting sup appearances in the french league at PSG.  N'gog is bigger and pacier than Nemeth, plays a totally different game, scores goals, has improved tremendously as someone who can hold up play and flick on to others.

I actually think that Nemeth and N'gog would play well together (in a league cup match or something) as Nemeth is at his best when he partners a taller striker.
JoeTerp

Postby bigmick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:59 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I don't understand all the dislike for N'gog.

Well I think when he first came in Joe there was the double whammy of him a) not looking very good and b) for those of us who were perplexed about Keanegate he was the supposed replacement and was clearly not up to it. I still have severe reservations about him myself based on what I've seen, but his finsih the other night was of a decent quality, so I guess you never know.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 am

I thought he did pretty well in preseason overall.... Seems to have alot of condifence in his ability, as Joe said he seems to hold the ball up well and brings others into play... he also works the channels well, moves around to open up spaces for his forward partner and drag defenders...
Nowhere near the finished article yet, but seems to have alot of potential imo... Not too sure about his finishing despite him taking the goal he scored the other night very well...

Main thing that stands out to me however is his confidence when on the ball, still needs to work on his strength and decision making at times but a good player overall and well worth the 1.5 we paid if you ask me...

Still think we need a backup forward but as things stand i wouldnt mind him being in the squad as 4th choice forward behind (3rd)Babel.. Definitely ahead of Voronin & Nemeth though...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am

I know he's young but I don't think he's good enough to play at our level consistently and that's having seen him play for a couple of seasons now, albeit somewhat sparingly. Optimistically I think he could do what Lucas does, but long-term I don't see it happening for him. My money would be on him settling at Tranmere or somewhere similar.

As for Ngog, I don't see anything that convinces me he won't be at FC Metz two years down the line. At best he's capable of completely baffling defenders into thinking 'WTF? ??? ', thus allowing more time for others to get in on the act. In that sense he could bring us some luck.
LFC2007

Postby Penguins » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:43 am

More inclined to agree with LFC2007. Ngog is at LFC primarily cause he was cheap. That may sound a bit harsh but I rate him as 3rd-4th choice with no hope of becoming a competitor for a regular spot and not good enough as a backup.

Heck, I rate even Voronin higher.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion