Is Gerrard a "Problem" ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ballotelliman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:13 pm

carnt believe at 34 hes doing this bartaring with citeh to get a better deal. hes a one man club for fecksake this club made you a multi millionaire. i know it doesnt happen but if the club means that much to you how can it come down to money for fecksake. if u want a new challenge go to america. i really thought he wouldnt do this in public im dissappointed
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby ballotelliman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:17 pm

just a thought maybe hes thinking if i go to citeh for a year or 2 he has a greater chance of winning silverware before he retires cos he must realise now last year aint gona happen with this squad anyone agree?
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:05 pm

ballotelliman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:17 pm wrote:just a thought maybe hes thinking if i go to citeh for a year or 2 he has a greater chance of winning silverware before he retires cos he must realise now last year aint gona happen with this squad anyone agree?

It would certainly be on his mind to win silverware. Could we begrudge him it? As fans, yes. His fellow professionals might not. I'm not sure he'd leave us for City or Chelsea, but if he's not offered a contract with us he might just see it justified. Hopefully he'd go abroad if it came to it.
Maybe Celtic or Rangers could offer silverware :D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm

The_Rock » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:46 pm wrote:I have seen players like Lucas, Allen and Hendo step up whenever gerrard wasn't playing. Then when gerrard comes back into the team, they go back to "pass the ball to gerrard at all costs"....

Maybe its a win-win situation if Gerrard leaves the club. Don't get me wrong, he can still contribute massively to this team. The thing is we have a manager who seems to pander to gerrard (like he did with carra & Johnson) as keeps building the team around him.  And by playing him in a role which does him no favour (although I reckon gerrard himself wants to play that role).... It affects the team badly.

Something has to give. FSG are not gonna get rid of Rodgers. He is the type of manager they want (doesn't rock the boat, PR friendly to almost anyone who listens to his philosophies, a good coach {I think he is a good coach....it is the other coaches under him who are sub-par}...etc). So it might take some major balls-up by Rodgers to get the sack.

So the only way this works out is Gerrard leaves (hopefully to Italy where he would be pretty awesome). He deserves it.

We have to move on ,and we have to do it without Gerrard ,the more Rodgers  persists with playing him the less time we have to develop new options .The new players
can only get better if they are bedded into this team as a group ,and watching players grow with each game they play is part and parcel of what this club used to be
about .... As right now its like Ground hog Day watching the likes of Gerrard and Johnson looking about as comfortable in their respective positions  as Alan Carr in a
boxing ring .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:20 pm

Liverpool want Steven Gerrard to take a 50 per cent wage cut before they allow him to see out his career at Anfield.

Reds captain Gerrard went public last week saying the club he has stayed loyal to throughout his career need to come up with a new deal before the end of the season.

But the American owners are not prepared to match his existing £180,000-a-week terms - believing he is not worth superstar wages with age now seeing his influence on the pitch reducing.

Instead they have put on the table a two-year-contract that will pay £90,000-a-week for the first season, dropping to £60,000-a-week in the final 12 months.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408419/Liverpool-News-and-transfers
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:42 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm wrote:Liverpool want Steven Gerrard to take a 50 per cent wage cut before they allow him to see out his career at Anfield.

Reds captain Gerrard went public last week saying the club he has stayed loyal to throughout his career need to come up with a new deal before the end of the season.

But the American owners are not prepared to match his existing £180,000-a-week terms - believing he is not worth superstar wages with age now seeing his influence on the pitch reducing.

Instead they have put on the table a two-year-contract that will pay £90,000-a-week for the first season, dropping to £60,000-a-week in the final 12 months.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/408419/Liverpool-News-and-transfers

Think he would take that? I'd assume at his age any new contract would be a reduced wage anyway, and likely a reduced role. But I'd imagine someone in the States or elsewhere would still give him top whack.
RedAnt

Postby aCe' » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 pm

We're not Chelsea and wont be bringing in a Fabregas to replace Gerrard. I'm pretty sure most top sides would absolutely love to have a 34 year old Gerrard in their side and I cant believe all the negativity on this forum regarding everything Gerrard.

A 2 year contract somewhere in the region of 120k a week is what should be offered.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ballotelliman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:30 am

aCe' » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:03 pm wrote:We're not Chelsea and wont be bringing in a Fabregas to replace Gerrard. I'm pretty sure most top sides would absolutely love to have a 34 year old Gerrard in their side and I cant believe all the negativity on this forum regarding everything Gerrard.

A 2 year contract somewhere in the region of 120k a week is what should be offered.

Come off it that is absolutely a fair offer if you loved your club so much plus were carrying him now that is not loyalty in my book. He should say il take 30 grand a week cos its not about money now i LOVE THIS CLUB THIS CLUB HAS BEEN GOOD TO ME AND MADE ME A VERY WEALTHY MAN. I hope he goes will do much better without him hes got way to much power in my book.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby Reg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:11 am

Two issues here: common sense v's opportunity windfall.

Common sense says 90 thou and 50 thou are generous terms for a 35 and 36 year old player past his prime.
To another club however he is worth far more in marketing and sponsorship whether in the US, Spain or where ever. Or adding some bite at  Southampton etc.. Liverpool wouldn't be able to compete with those opportunity wages.

So it boils down to what he wants, to chase the money or stay at LFC. It's his call though, not the clubs.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ballotelliman » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:36 am

Reg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:11 am wrote:Two issues here: common sense v's opportunity windfall.

Common sense says 90 thou and 50 thou are generous terms for a 35 and 36 year old player past his prime.
To another club however he is worth far more in marketing and sponsorship whether in the US, Spain or where ever. Or adding some bite at  Southampton etc.. Liverpool wouldn't be able to compete with those opportunity wages.

So it boils down to what he wants, to chase the money or stay at LFC. It's his call though, not the clubs.

i know what your saying reg and your right it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth the way hes going about it.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:58 am

Should have been on a wage reduction from the age of thirty one. From that age it should be based on image rights, performances, appearances and other things. To be paying a thirty five year old massive amounts more than players who are better than him is wrong, However based on what he brings in marketing etc an inflated wage ((slightly) is understandable.

However, he shouldn't be a first team regular anymore, the reason we got so much out of him last season was due to potentially being in a position to win the league.

What I will say though, regardless of the above comment anyone who thinks he is the crux of our problems and sole cause, which some do are completely wrong. There are too many players who aren't up to it and haven't been replaced and there are too many players who were signed that are no where near the standard we require
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:11 pm

he should be playing a similar role to lampard. thats the role he would have been playing at another club like city or chelsea and he could be playing next year for either of those managers. i don't care whether people still rate him or not but should he go then we will have to watch him playing in another jersey and being successful while we trot out the excuse that it's hard to replace a player of that calibre.

obviously the club want to cut his wage as thats understandable. what id read was that he will be given a 2 year deal dropping from 180k to 90k and then to 60k in the second year. he wont take that imo and why should he when other clubs will at least give him what he's currently on.

imo the lad owe's us nothing and should he decide to go on a free and a shot at winning a league before he retires, then fair play to him. he has given his entire career to us and giving the lad a decent deal to see out his last 2 years with us is the least we can do for him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:22 pm

red till i die!! » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:11 pm wrote:he should be playing a similar role to lampard. thats the role he would have been playing at another club like city or chelsea and he could be playing next year for either of those managers. i don't care whether people still rate him or not but should he go then we will have to watch him playing in another jersey and being successful while we trot out the excuse that it's hard to replace a player of that calibre.

obviously the club want to cut his wage as thats understandable. what id read was that he will be given a 2 year deal dropping from 180k to 90k and then to 60k in the second year. he wont take that imo and why should he when other clubs will at least give him what he's currently on.

imo the lad owe's us nothing and should he decide to go on a free and a shot at winning a league before he retires, then fair play to him. he has given his entire career to us and giving the lad a decent deal to see out his last 2 years with us is the least we can do for him.

Good post. I don't think he owes us anything. I'd hate to see him play for another English team though. But if I was Maureen, or Pellegrini, or even Ars*hole, I'd take him, without question. I'd not build a team around him. I'd use him for what he is. A highly experienced player in the waning years of his career. I hope he'll accept a knock down price and stay. As a Liverpool fan himself, surely he'd see the sense in it?
As much as he's done for us, I'd still be surprised if after 34 years of loyalty he decided to sell himself out for a shot at silverware with Citeh or the Chavs. Like I say, you're loyal or you ain't.
RedAnt

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:11 pm

I think if he leaves us he will go abroad

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 am

Really insightful post… care to enlighten us as to why or are you just making a random statement based on your imagination?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion