Is Gerrard a "Problem" ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedSi35 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:50 pm

Will Caan, Cann,Can? be up to this role?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:20 pm

RedSi35 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:Will Caan, Cann,Can? be up to this role?

Yeah, this is your player Yakka. Not a sound name like the others you mentioned but definitely has the potential to be one. IMO we should have went for Alonso though. From what I've seen so far, he basically holds Bayern's midfield on his own, definitely one of the best midfielders in the past 15-20 years.

Anyway, it's pronounced as "Jan" and spelled "Can" :)
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:23 am

I thought it was pronounced Chan

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:26 am

LFC1990 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:23 am wrote:I thought it was pronounced Chan

It's Jan, like Chackey Jan
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:31 am

Its all down to Steven the reason we are rubbish, sell him! :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:31 am wrote:Its all down to Steven the reason we are rubbish, sell him! :D

I'm not sure we should sell him,but Its good that we can finally agree .....Only joking lad ,nice to see you back posting  :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Yeah but if we get rid we might got fifty pence for a two Bob player and can free his wages up for more average players  :D
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Espionage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:52 pm

With Sturridge playing off the last defender it's great to have Gerrard spraying passes, but as it stands now - with the attacking midfield players and Mario  (I don't get in the box or get in behind) Ballotelli, we would just about be better off with Lucas 'keeping it simple' and just passing the ball to them.

Gerrard was fine in the position last year, but when things aren't going well, everyone has to take a portion of blame, especially the experienced players.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Gerrard needs to be moved from that position just in front of the back 4, wether that means moving him further up the pitch or to the bench isn't really important, what is important is that our shaky defence gets a proper defensive midfielder in front of them.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ballotelliman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:41 pm

ive been waiting for brendan to rest him and seems today cud be the day. But it worries me cos its easier to drop im today and say im saving you for madrid which stevie wont mind. I want allen and lucas to get a run back there i know u all think lucas is past it just think impact sub up top is more benificial now for stevie and for the TEAM?
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:19 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:30 pm

:D

Gerrard does seem to wield a lot of power in the dressing room. And Rodgers (whom has not won anything yet) probably has to toe the line when it comes to Gerrard.

Its kind of sad really..... By picking him and leaving him on for 90 mins, it is not doing Gerrard any good. Every week more and more fans debate if he is past it. And now the press (whom have been pretty lenient with him whenever he has had bad performance for England) are singing the same music.

Way back when rafa was the manager, gerrard was hardly played in central midfield. The whole country was clamouring for gerrard to play centrally but rafa stuck to his guns. He played him right of midfield and as a support/shadow striker. The legend of gerrard was born when he was played in those positions. But for gerrard he still wanted to play as a central midfielder even though he was scoring all those goals playing on the right. Whenever he was asked questions by reporters (whom I think really wanted to undermine rafa), he kept saying he preferred to play in the centre.

The reason why I am bringing this up is because Gerrard does not know where his best position is. He is a good player and all. But I wouldn't consider him a bright player. He is a player who built his game playing to his instincts. If Gerrard has his way and played centrally...he wouldn't be as well-known all over the world as he is now. He would have been as well-known as micheal carrick.

Rodgers has to show more balls when managing gerrard. It is so evident that he is giving into gerrard for his craving of the deep-laying playmaker role. But Gerrard does not know whats good for him.

FWIW...I still think Gerrard can contribute further up the pitch. But his minutes on the pitch should be reduced if he is gonna play there.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Didn't we try to use Gerrard further forward a few weeks ago (against QPR or WBA can't recall)? I remember Gerrard didn't do so well and the midfield behind him could't string two passes together. We changed things second half and put Gerrard back in his usual position and things improved from there.

And it appears to me that I might have seen a different game from the rest of you yesterday. While others think Gerrard was poor again, I think he was pretty decent. He seemed like he was the only one who could actually pass the ball or receive it under pressure. The rest of our midfielders (who did well off the ball) couldn't receive the ball with opposition players around them, they couldn't handle the pressure.

Not saying that we can't improve on Stevie but I think that a lot of you are disregarding his passing ability and his overall contribution a bit too easily.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 pm

damjan193 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:48 pm wrote:
Not saying that we can't improve on Stevie but I think that a lot of you are disregarding his passing ability and his overall contribution a bit too easily.

i missed most of the first half yesterday but from the rest of the game i thought he used the ball well.
the 3 highest passers of the ball in our side yesterday was stevie, 75 with 89% success. lovren also completed 75 passes with a 82% success and 3rd was skrtel with 69 passes with a 92% success rate. the next was can with 40 passes.
those stats were from flashscore yesterday and although i had a heavy night i think they are 90% right  :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:21 pm

damjan193 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:48 pm wrote:Didn't we try to use Gerrard further forward a few weeks ago (against QPR or WBA can't recall)? I remember Gerrard didn't do so well and the midfield behind him could't string two passes together. We changed things second half and put Gerrard back in his usual position and things improved from there.

And it appears to me that I might have seen a different game from the rest of you yesterday. While others think Gerrard was poor again, I think he was pretty decent. He seemed like he was the only one who could actually pass the ball or receive it under pressure. The rest of our midfielders (who did well off the ball) couldn't receive the ball with opposition players around them, they couldn't handle the pressure.

Even I'd look comfortable on the ball if I continually positioned myself in the defensive line next to our CB's, you get more time and space there mate than practically anywhere else on the park. IMO Gerrard is just not doing enough from that deep lying position to warrant having a 'quarterback' in our side, 95% of the time he doing nothing with the ball that our CB's couldn't do themselves.
We generally only play with 3 midfielders as it is and it's just a total waste of one of those CM's to have him standing 30 or 40 yards away from the action when we are pressing high up the pitch or attacking. I'd much rather see our midfielders making up the numbers in attack and trying to get into the opposition box than standing at the halfway line holding hands with our CB's.
Why doesn't Rodgers play him further up the pitch and tell him to give us everything he's got for an hour (or even a half) and then substitute him? Surely that would be a better way to utilise him? That's what Barcelona do these days with Xavi.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion