If we only sign one player this summer..... - It has to be tevez

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redtrader74 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:17 am

Throughout this season whenever we have played the top teams i have felt that we have been missing a forward that can unlock defences, cause panic in the final third, run with the ball, have pace and vision. A lot to ask i know, but all top sides have at least one, makeup face, Henry, Robben/cole, bar us.

I think that if we sign one player this summer it has to be Tevez, this is not a knee jerk reaction, i don't live too far from WHU and have bothered to go see him live, imo he works really hard, seems to have a fantastic attitude, and has all the attributes i mentioned in abundance.

Additionally he is proven in the EPL, and i believe in our side as it is, he would improve it massively, and alone ensure we challenge for the league all season. So i say to Gillett and Hicks, BREAK THE BANK, DO WHATEVER IT TAKES, BUT GET CARLOS TEVEZ TO ANFIELD.

So the questions are is he our main priority? If not who is? Do you think Rafa would sign him? And would he mean we could seriously think we win title?
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun May 06, 2007 10:21 am

Tevez would be great, I think. Yesterday he was phenominal against bolton, scoring a freekick and adding another goal.

He is one of the players liverpool need to get, maybe he is a cheaper target than etoo and villa also a more realistic choice.

Furthermore, right now he is experienced in the english premiership and that would be an advantage and a less risk than getting etoo or villa.

He is also best mates with mascherano.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 06, 2007 10:22 am

If we only sign one player this summer.......... the boss wants shooting because we probably won't win the league. If you think Tevez alone will make the difference think back to when a certain Michael Owen was playing up front and we weren't winning leagues. And six goals is in no way "proven"

Carlos Tevez

6 goals in 28 games (0.214 goals/app)

Fair enough that's 6 goals in his last 9 games for West Ham, but even Crouch scores in spells. I'm not saying we definitely shouldn't buy him, but questioning the use of the word "proven"
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 am

Owzat wrote:If we only sign one player this summer.......... the boss wants shooting because we probably won't win the league. If you think Tevez alone will make the difference think back to when a certain Michael Owen was playing up front and we weren't winning leagues. And six goals is in no way "proven"

Carlos Tevez

Fair enough that's 6 goals in his last 9 games for West Ham, but even Crouch scores in spells. I'm not saying we definitely shouldn't buy him, but questioning the use of the word "proven"

He isn't proven yet in the english league, he is proven to be a goalscorer in the brazilian league, but not yet in the english league. He is infact having experienced the english league which would help him be a better player next season, hopefully.

ofcourse buying one player in the summer won't do us anygood, he is one of the players that will strengthen the side
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:28 am

Owzat wrote:If we only sign one player this summer.......... the boss wants shooting because we probably won't win the league. If you think Tevez alone will make the difference think back to when a certain Michael Owen was playing up front and we weren't winning leagues. And six goals is in no way "proven"

Carlos Tevez

'Proven', that he can handle the pace, physical side, attitude and culture of the premiership, something that would be missing from the cv of eto, villa, torres  suggested targets on this forum.

BTW the fools at Westham only started passing to him 12 games ago.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 06, 2007 10:41 am

Great Shout there redtrader and one I wholeheartedly agree with.

Tevez has not had the best start to his career in English football but he has shown in fits and starts what he is capable of. I wouldn't take any real notice of his goal stats at West Ham as they have struggled all season and Maschereno was awful there and look at him now.

Not only does he offer us creativity in the final third but he brings with him a burning desire to be one of the best in the world and to win.

If we could only sign one player in the summer, Tevez would be first choice for me, no arguments.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun May 06, 2007 10:43 am

redtrader74 wrote:

Carlos Tevez

'Proven', that he can handle the pace, physical side, attitude and culture of the premiership, something that would be missing from the cv of eto, villa, torres  suggested targets on this forum.

BTW the fools at Westham only started passing to him 12 games ago.

Fair point, you never know what a player who's never played in the Premiership will do. Then again you never know what a player who's played elsewhere in the Premiership will do, Bellamy being a prime example. Would Tevez settle in at Anfield? Would he settle for being a squad player rather than first choice week in, week out?

I'd be happy if we signed him, surely he can't cost more than some of the names you've mentioned. If I were to place him among our current strikers he'd be up near the top with Kuyt and Fowler, I'm not so sure where I'd place Voronin who I still feel Rafa should have waited before signing. Some players just feel like stop gap measures, not the very best quality and maybe signed for the wrong reason - Crouch (tall), Zenden (free), Bellamy (quick) etc etc. Not to say they aren't decent players but NONE of them came from clubs even challenging for the Premiership.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun May 06, 2007 10:45 am

How much would he be though?
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 06, 2007 10:49 am

Dundalk wrote:How much would he be though?

2 points:

1) West Ham still do not own him, so its not up to them. I'm sure we could persuade him to come here rather than there.

2) If West Ham go down, he will deffo leave.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:07 am

Owzat, you're right that we can never be sure what he will do at our club, but if you look at it as a job interview, he has passed, he can at least play in the prem.

Settling at Anfield should be easier than WHU we have players he can speak to. This thing about sqaud players and Rafa is really annoying, Alonso, Gerrard, Reina, Carragher, Finnan are rarely rotated, and if, as we believe, Tevez to be a top class player i doubt he would be either.
He would not be a stop gap player. I have the same feeling re:stop gaps, Pennant, Bellamy, Zenden, Arbeloa seem to have been bought because we had a vacancy and they were all we could afford.
I just hope rafa wants him.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 06, 2007 11:24 am

Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 06, 2007 12:54 pm

He would be a fantastic signing for us.  He works hard, plays deep and scores goals...ideal for Rafa's system.  I think he's now settling into the English game and is starting to show his class.  Plus, he'll be aiming to get out of West Ham regardless of whether they go down or not, IMO.  All we need is Mascherano to have a word--or just show him the DVD of the CL knock-out stages this season and I think we'd land his signature pretty easily. :cool:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Marianne » Sun May 06, 2007 1:03 pm

I have to admit, Tevez does play his heart out, but I think we should get Owen back! I love that guy...   :buttrock
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby kingred » Sun May 06, 2007 5:00 pm

go get tevez rafa he will be brill for us just like masher
kingred

Postby gato_busta » Sun May 06, 2007 5:17 pm

I saw Tevez in Boca and Corinthians and he was simply amazing. Top scorer in argentina with Boca and top scorer in Brazil with Corinthians. I believe he even became captain in Corinthians months after he joined. The problem with Tevez is he is a stubborn guy. After Boca he had the chance to go to any team in the world (same case with mascherano) and chose corinthians. I have a feeling that if he doesn't get relegated with West Ham, he will stay with them. If we have the slightest chance to sign him, IMO, rafa must try to get him.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion