Player options in summer....who!??

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:59 pm

If possible we could do with stretching the budget a bit on one key signing that will
serve as a statement of intent and attract other players to the club.

I understand the ownership had their fingers burned with Comolli and are looking at
a more prudent model but a marquee signing could be the way to raise our profile in
the short term without champions league football.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm

parchpea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:59 pm wrote:If possible we could do with stretching the budget a bit on one key signing that will

I understand the ownership had their fingers burned with Comolli and are looking at
a more prudent model but a marquee signing could be the way to raise our profile in

Yeah like Carroll for 35 million, that was a real marquee signing... :laugh:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

maguskwt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:01 pm wrote:
parchpea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:59 pm wrote:If possible we could do with stretching the budget a bit on one key signing that will

Panic buy dunno about marquee  :laugh:
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

maguskwt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:01 pm wrote:

You made 3 posts in ten mins on three different threads and every single one was about Carroll.

That is a hell of an addiction - get yourself checked out.
Benny The Noon

Postby tubby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Starting to get a bit concerned that pre season isn't that far away and we haven't made a single signing yet.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:43 pm

Benny The Noon » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm wrote:

You made 3 posts in ten mins on three different threads and every single one was about Carroll.

Speak for yourself, you're stalking me :p
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:56 pm

and all 3 of his posts had the same inane -  :laugh: - emicon (or whatever they are called) at the end of them.
he wants to try watching us for a change, if he did he would have noticed that carroll was one of the best (and most consistent) players in our side during the second half of the season.
he`s laughing at a player that scored the winner in the biggest derby game in a quarter of a century and a player who twice destroyed the european champions defence and nearly single handedly turned the F.A cup final around.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

tubby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:39 pm wrote:Starting to get a bit concerned that pre season isn't that far away and we haven't made a single signing yet.

Pre-season started on Thursday. It was always unlikely that we were going to do early business as Rodgers has only been in the job a few weeks and hadn’t even met most of the players until this week let alone begin to assess them. I would guess that most (maybe even all) of our business will take place in August once all the players are back and we’ve started playing games. Most of the summer transfers take place in the last 2 weeks of August anyway.

Rodgers needs to take a good look at what is already in the squad and speak to all the players before he starts committing millions of pounds on new recruits. This is just a consequence of changing mangers at the time we did.

I’m not concerned at all as it makes total sense.
Eagle

Postby Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm

I can't see us signing anybody, last summer was our best opportunity to really build a much better team and that was wasted.
Boxscarf

Postby The Raven » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:13 pm

Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:05 pm wrote:I can't see us signing anybody, last summer was our best opportunity to really build a much better team and that was wasted.

lol thats the fighting talk we need. There are still 2 months left of the window and we have a guy whos only just met the first team.
The Raven

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm wrote:

and all 3 of his posts had the same inane -  :laugh: - emicon (or whatever they are called) at the end of them.
he wants to try watching us for a change, if he did he would have noticed that carroll was one of the best (and most consistent) players in our side during the second half of the season.
he`s laughing at a player that scored the winner in the biggest derby game in a quarter of a century and a player who twice destroyed the european champions defence and nearly single handedly turned the F.A cup final around.

Great, we'll be challenging for the league then with such a devastating striker.

it's called an emoticon btw... comes from emote+icon...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Basil » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:40 am

If you look at the squad of players we have, including those returning from injuries and loans, it's not a bad squad. It could do with better cover for Lucas, a good winger and a natural goal scorer but I believe Rodgers will get the best out of the players we already have and some might show a big improvement and surprise people.

The back 5 is good enough, we have 6 decent CM's who are pretty settled although an upgrade on Spearing would be good if we had the money but not a priority.

The uncertainty and potential for change as I see it is in the forwards, with Aqua, Cole and Pacheco coming back into the reckoning and doubts over Maxi, Bellamy and now possibly Carroll.

Playing a 4-4-2 system you obviously need more MF's than FW's but playing 4-3-3 we would need as many forwards as midfielders,

I don't know much about playing 4-3-3, how would the existing players fit into a new 4-3-3 system ? Lucas, Gerrard, Adam, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey for the midfield 3 and Downing, Maxi, Bellamy, Suarez, Carroll, Cole, Aquilani, Pacheco, Sterling for the front 3 ?

I really like Aquilani but I'm not sure he would fit into a 4-3-3 system ? I think Pacheco played wide left of a 4-3-3 for the Spanish U21 side ? Would Shelvey play MF or FW ? Would Adam fit into the new system ?

Borini, Dempsey and Adam Johnson would all fit in nicely, what about Ramirez ? What system do Uruguay play ?
Basil

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am

Has Maxinnot gone back home to play for his first club already?
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am

Maxi still with the club
Benny The Noon

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:32 am

Boxscarf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:05 pm wrote:I can't see us signing anybody, last summer was our best opportunity to really build a much better team and that was wasted.

stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion