How much do the media influence us? - Liverpool - are we lucky?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:43 pm

I don't know if it's justified because I don't listen to most of it, only when I grab here and there a loose article and quote. Of course and the typical Aldo youtube video celebrating a goal, you have to love it.

But I'd say that they do have a influence, as all the media. But I'm not sure to know how big is that influence, perhaps any of you could answer.

On Balagué, he also has his influence. I find the fella more and more annoying. In England he pretends to be the one who knows all Rafa secrets and he pretends to know everything of Spanish football

In Spain, he doesn't pretend to know all Rafa's secrets and he pretends to know everything about English football.

I just think he's a demagogic twát.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:02 pm

The fastest way to become a poor club is to get beat by us FACT. I see Lawrenson's been at it again today, saying how this is a poor Madrid side. Yeah so poor that up until Saturday they'd won 10 League games in a row.

It's always the same. We beat Inter at the San Siro last year and at the same time Arsenal beat AC Milan who were then something like 18 points behind Inter in Serie A yet it was Arsenal who got all the plaudits.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 pm

stmichael wrote:The fastest way to become a poor club is to get beat by us FACT. I see Lawrenson's been at it again today, saying how this is a poor Madrid side. Yeah so poor that up until Saturday they'd won 10 League games in a row.

It's always the same. We beat Inter at the San Siro last year and at the same time Arsenal beat AC Milan who were then something like 18 points behind Inter in Serie A yet it was Arsenal who got all the plaudits.

Clever Lawreson.

If Liverpool wins, everything is fine, he's right they were poor.

If Madrid wins, he's equally right to give stick to the team, and this defeat shows it.

Not that it's a complex thinking, but safe as fúck for Lawro to be right no matter what. Being a prophet is easy.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:18 pm

Ballague is way up there with Lawrensen in terms of being grade A media slut c%nts. Most other ex-Liverpool players I have a fair amount of time for.

Isn't it weird though how every time Rafa has a bit of a moan it is either via Ballague or in tandem with him.
heimdall

Postby heimdall » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 pm

aCe' wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:Owzat's a :censored: a thought people knew this

:no Dear oh dear.

what i dont get is how such posts go unnoticed apparently and then u have cards thrown around like its christmas when chosen others chose to reply in similar fashion....
:no

Has his post gone unnoticed, though?   ???  I think you'll find that it has not.  What you might also like to notice is that there is a lot of abuse being tossed around just at the moment and keeping on top of all of it is getting to be a full time job.  Unfortunately, I have another, real full-time job that keeps me pretty busy, not to mention a family that I like to spend time with as well.  So, sadly for moaners like you, I can't be around here 24/7 monitoring every post as its made and meting out justice in lightning quick fashion when someone crosses the line.  I'm afraid that's a reality that you'll just have to deal with.  Another reality check for you, while we're chatting--your complaints about abuse might get taken more seriously if you weren't prone to a little argy-bargy yourself when disagreeing with people.  You're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution, right? ???

i seemingly get carded everytime i say "fcking hell" so lets not even go there bob eh...

my point was not people throwing around abuse, my problem was the consistency (or thereby lack of) of moderating abuse on the forum... ill gladly take a card for returning abuse when someone decides to dish out any my way...by the same tocken i expect the person dishing out abuse to get carded..

i know u do a tough job and im sorry if it seemed like a personal attack but it isnt... just think that maybe a little bit of explanation is needed (atleast for bans) because atm things seem to be messy, ridiculous and quite honestly out of hand...

Same here, I've still got at least one card too many, not sure what I need to do too get rid of the cards, what is the length of penalty?
There is a massive lack of consistency in terms of moderating and I'm not referring to Bad Bob who I think does an OK job at that and excellent job at most other mod duties.
heimdall

Postby Owzat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:27 pm

aCe' wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Rorschach26 wrote:Owzat's a :censored: a thought people knew this

:no Dear oh dear.

what i dont get is how such posts go unnoticed apparently and then u have cards thrown around like its christmas when chosen others chose to reply in similar fashion....
:no

Has his post gone unnoticed, though?   ???  I think you'll find that it has not.  What you might also like to notice is that there is a lot of abuse being tossed around just at the moment and keeping on top of all of it is getting to be a full time job.  Unfortunately, I have another, real full-time job that keeps me pretty busy, not to mention a family that I like to spend time with as well.  So, sadly for moaners like you, I can't be around here 24/7 monitoring every post as its made and meting out justice in lightning quick fashion when someone crosses the line.  I'm afraid that's a reality that you'll just have to deal with.  Another reality check for you, while we're chatting--your complaints about abuse might get taken more seriously if you weren't prone to a little argy-bargy yourself when disagreeing with people.  You're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution, right? ???

i seemingly get carded everytime i say "fcking hell" so lets not even go there bob eh...

my point was not people throwing around abuse, my problem was the consistency (or thereby lack of) of moderating abuse on the forum... ill gladly take a card for returning abuse when someone decides to dish out any my way...by the same tocken i expect the person dishing out abuse to get carded..

i know u do a tough job and im sorry if it seemed like a personal attack but it isnt... just think that maybe a little bit of explanation is needed (atleast for bans) because atm things seem to be messy, ridiculous and quite honestly out of hand...

Doesn't bother me, I hadn't even noticed that reply so her hot air had no effect on me - and still doesn't. If that's the limit of her "wisdom" then she's got problems
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:32 pm

O come on Sabre
The fans who attend games and the ones who watch on TV, don't talk about what others say they talk about what they see on the pitch. If the 2, fans and pundits/Media happen to talk about the same topic i believe their is a reason for it. Probabley because maybe just maybe RB does rotate alot.
Or maybe he does seem to put his strongest side out for european games over league games. I just think alot of people dont like to see Liverpool, the manger or players criticised atall. And use phrases like have faith and believe. Or in Rafa we trust. We all want the best for our club, but we all have different opinions of how we can achieve success. Blaming the pundits, media, the americans, parry and anyone else is pathetic. I'm glad parry is leaving i want rid of the americans, but they dont pick them team or deal with trainning and i'm sure they didnt sell keane and leave us with one Striker. So don't you think its right to be critical?
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:49 am

Dav, I've re-read my posts in this thread and I never said that it's not right being critical.

In criticism though there are different levels. You have the sensible criticism, and criticism full of :censored:wittery.

We're discussing here how much influence the media has,

If the 2, fans and pundits/Media happen to talk about the same topic i believe their is a reason for it. Probabley because maybe just maybe RB does rotate alot.

For me this is an example of the influence of the media. Rotation was known in my country for ages. It has people that favours rotation and anti rotation. The difference is fans do not talk about it every time. Why? because the media do not talk about it unless the rotated player is a Messi.

En England though, I can see it's a constant topic amongst the fans. And It's aswell a constant topic among the pundits.

It's difficult for me to not to see a relation between what the pundits talk about, and what the fans talk about.

Yesterday I was reading a piece of article about Ferguson, in which I could read something in the lines of "when he seeks X he uses Bervatov, when he seeks Y he uses Tevez". You were reading that and thinking "what a clever guy is Ferguson".

I've seen slagged by the media the very concept of choosing a player depending on the opposition, but for the media that clearly depends on whether it's done by Ferguson or another manager. Ferguson deserves respect for his career yes, but what he gets is not respect, but servilism.

So, by al means, be critic. Watch the games, say your opinion, moan if you're not happy. But I wouldn't pay much attention to guys like the one who wrote the Keane biography, or, in the other extreme, Balague, a journo I don't respect much neither (and is "pro" rafa).
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Well at least it' seems it's Ok to talk about the manager again. Pretty much most threads are about him which is excellent. It's not even boring at all :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 pm

bigmick wrote:Well at least it' seems it's Ok to talk about the manager again. Pretty much most threads are about him which is excellent. It's not even boring at all :D

You didn't get my point, or you didn't want to get my point, but no problem, I'll explain again. Let's see if this second time you get the point right away, you realise I'm not pointing out you as culprit, but also myself, and you don't show that victimism about some topics being tabboo. That's not the point.

It's ok to discuss about the manager, but you have to know to stop talking about the manager. That is, discuss your points, verbosely explain your posts, but if after page 5, you see there are some persistent buggers that still won't be convinced of what you say, let it go. If you don't, you'll get frustrated, the page will go until page 78, and no new points will be raised.

What's worse, if that discussion is dragged to every other thread, then it becomes boring.

So, before you imply that for some people it's only boring to discuss about the manager when the results are bad, no, that's not the problem. It was boring 5 months ago aswell. Why I didn't complain publicly? because when you're first of the table you're under happy pills and you let it go. That is, discuss the manager, but if you see GYBS is not convinced, just accept it. Don't try to convince him, you probably won't and we leave many other topics without discussion.

I tell you this because I think you have a lot to do with any potential good discussion of this forum. I'm not telling this to others because I don't have the same trust in them. Just telling Mick, WE (you, me, the antis, and the pros) have discussed too much about the manager, and we should find a balance.

Surely you can get that idea without feeling attacked? It's not only this bugger who's saying this, you have seen posters like Craig and Scott saying things like "at last a footie thread!!". Pay attention to those if you don't want to pay attention to me.

:)
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:04 pm

Ah but Sabre my contention is whatever anybodies opinion is on the manager, I probably post more "football" posts than anyone else on here. I certainly post more football posts in one week than half the people who were moaning about the lack thereof do in a year. Some of the people who were moianing have barely posted a coherent football post in their lives to be honest.

Equally, the very people who were having a moan about too may threads becoming a Rafa one, are the same ones who infect every thread with one liners, ABOUT RAFA  :D . So you get "another dig at Rafa" randomly, in the middle of a discussion about centre backs. Failing that they start threads about the manager and then moan that people talk about him  :laugh:

The simple fact of the matter is that when the team plays well, threads are shorter and less angsty because people are happy. One or two more "faithful" people have been commenting that threads are shorter when we win, well of course they would be. Everyone's happy, so they would be.

For my part, I'm very glad now that there are once more no taboo subjects on the boards. In a discussion on centre backs, it is entirely legitimate to say "I think Skyrtel is a great player, and might I add a fantastic buy by the manager at 7 million quid". Not only is it entirely legitimate, it's not "boring" at all. Equally, if you wonder in a thread about strikers how we ever arrived in a situation where we only have one striker, that isn't boring either. Just balance really, and I hope through the teams continuing success al subjects remain discussable from here on in.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 pm

Sabre wrote:
stmichael wrote:The fastest way to become a poor club is to get beat by us FACT. I see Lawrenson's been at it again today, saying how this is a poor Madrid side. Yeah so poor that up until Saturday they'd won 10 League games in a row.

Clever Lawreson.

If Liverpool wins, everything is fine, he's right they were poor.

If Madrid wins, he's equally right to give stick to the team, and this defeat shows it.

Not that it's a complex thinking, but safe as fúck for Lawro to be right no matter what. Being a prophet is easy.

agreed we made them look poor but no , every one can't give us that credit.

Tos.sers the lot of them I hate the media so much....  :veryangry
Last edited by LegBarnes on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:30 pm

I'll tell you this now, if the Mancs beat Inter even 1-0 we'll be forgotten about. It'll be all the "one step closer to the five timer" and "Ferguson eventually beats Mourinho" and all that nonsense.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm

About your first paragraph, you don't have to defend your contribution here. You might remember I've been accused of being in love with you. But I felt I had to do that observation the other day, make of it what you want, but it's far from an attack, it's just an observation because I think that you can help a lot to change that, without that meaning you're the main culprit.

It's a bit like Alonso last May, just because you make an observation to move to upper zones of the pitch Mick, it doesn't mean you think his contribution is shíte.

For my part, I'm very glad now that there are once more no taboo subjects on the boards. In a discussion on centre backs, it is entirely legitimate to say "I think Skyrtel is a great player, and might I add a fantastic buy by the manager at 7 million quid". Not only is it entirely legitimate, it's not "boring" at all.

And no, that comment isn't what I consider boring.

Equally, if you wonder in a thread about strikers how we ever arrived in a situation where we only have one striker, that isn't boring either.

This is not boring the 1st time either, or once every 2 weeks. It is the 38th time, all must be said, to that comment, it would follow a "What about Torres?"

Equally, if you wonder in a thread about strikers how we ever arrived in a situation where we only have one striker, that isn't boring either.

Yeh, but what about Torres?

Yeh, but what about Torres?

This is not boring the 1st time either, or once every 2 weeks. It is the 38th time, all must be said, to that comment, it would follow a "What about Torres?"

These cycles, these reiterations of the same arguments, are boring, and that's only a 100th fraction of how much we reiterate debates here. Note that the cycles have a pattern, one side focusing the problems, the other ignoring them, one side focusing the good sides, the other ignoring them.

Plus, it influences every other threads. That's my opinion as a postr.

Nah, forget it, it's obvious I'm failing blatantly to get my point across. I just thought that if I convinced you to drag your posts to other topics at some extent, we would solve some problems in one shot, including one I don't like as of late, people giving stick to you.

I think people don't give stick to you because you've changed or they're bad guys, but as a consequence of dissapointing results, and the mentioned reiteration of the same discussions.

People does like to hear criticism, but people can be fed up of reading the same discussions, arguments, twisted numbers, biased articles, that defend the same old arguements.

Or if you want to put it this way... if the newkit discussion has made Sabre being out of his diplomatic self, imagine the effects that may have in other more temperamental posters.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:43 pm

Sabre I've never had a beef with you oin here mate, ever. I haven't now either. On that thread in general chat, I suppose that's what you mean by people "giving stick" to me :D It's just that Ii don't really think that kind of stick is fully deserved, and if we allowed such sentiments to rule the agenda of the forum, it'd be a worse place IMHO.

So when I sarcasrically ask "is it Ok to discuss the manager now", I aren't necessarily referring to you. Just sometimes :p
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion