How much do the media influence us? - Liverpool - are we lucky?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 pm

But he had a big help with buying some big players at some big prices thou mate . as well as ronaldo coming into some very very good form
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Espionage wrote:
bigmick wrote:Owzat's posts earlier are brilliant IMHo and I enjoyed reading them. Once he picks you up on the stats, you are best just conceding straight away as he leaves you nowhere to go. It's just logic upon logic and I enjoyed reading that. He rarely picks me up, because I don't do many stats on account of the fact I absolutely always feck em up. Anyway, good stuff.

Laughable....

They were not my stats but the authors

Also the reason I stopped is more like I couldnt be fcuked arguing because he is turning the thread into something its not. We would be arguing until Lescott's wife came home with the amount of points he wanted me to cover, dispute and quibble over.

Same way I couldnt be fcuked arguing with your post

Just because I enjoyed Owzat's posts it doesn't mean I'm having a pop a you fella. Chill out and grow up. On the question of my post, I must say though I don't blame you. I wrote when I got in from poker last night, had a few whiskies and just started typing.

I can't be fecked even reading it never mind arguing with it.

Anyway, like it makes any difference anyway but I wasn't having a dig at you.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Chelsea : 26+24+22 = 72
Liverpool : 28+27+25 = 80
Man Utd : 22+27+34 = 83

Premiership Goals Conceded - Past 4 years (reverse order)

Chelsea : 26+24+22+15 = 87
Liverpool : 28+27+25+41 = 121
Man Utd : 22+27+34+26 = 109

WHOOPS!

Funny. You could have extended the analysis 10 years further, and check how many of those seasons we conceded less than 30 goals. You would check, if you really wanted to make a true analysis and not to back your theory with skewed numbers, that in 2002 we conceded 41, in 2001 30, in 2000, 39, in 1999 30 again, in 1998 49 goals, in 1997 42, in 1996 37, in 1995 34, in 1994 37 , in 1993 55, can you see a pattern here Owzat?

So you could have looked those numbers and crunch them, but that wouldn't be convenient would it.

If you did, you would have to reach to the conclussion that we conceded more than 30 systematically, and you may have to conclude that zonal marking has put us at the same defensive level of the best English and European clubs.

But that's not what you wanted. What you wanted is to say zonal marking doesn't work. So you pick the best teams of Europe, which these days are english, and you prove that Liverpool hasn't been systematically the less conceding team.

Stats, you make what you want out of them.

Some logics are made of straw and are crumbled with a touch of wind.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red187 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Only this morning I logged onto the Newsnow website and its quite obvious that there is a definate media agenda against our title challenge.

First I see a report that Rafa has been given a ultimatum over his contract, which is completely untrue as the contract has been agreed in principle and is being written up by H&G's lawers.

Then there are two reports coming out of spain that both Reina and Macherano will be heading to Athletico and Real Madrid respectively also reported along side the ongoing mess that is Aggers contract.

I know the two contract renewals are the club delaying and stalling but the other reports are complete fabrications, made up to fill tabloid newspapers column inches and to cause already nervous Liverpool supporters more worry and depression.

Why do we put up with it, I know speculation and rumours are part and parcile of footballing life but the contiunous negative press is really disturbing. I'm not usually one for conspiracy theories but the recent press coverage does stink of it
red187

Postby dawson99 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah, and no papers have been trying to disrupt Cheatski or Arsenal lately ???

Happens to all, its like poker, you only remember the hands you lose, never the ones you win.

Sunday Express is all about Rafa signing the contract soon.

The media are scared of the drunk scot tho which sucks
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red187 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 pm

I agree with you Dawson that ever club does get it, as I said its part of footballing life, what I tried to imply obviously not well enough is that some sections of the media are intent on disrupting our title challenge.

For example the Chelsea dressing room is in complete turmoil, in fighting and splits that appears to be growing and affecting their title challenge has been every so quietly swept under the carpet. I have to be honest I never even knew that the situation there was so bad until after Big Phil was sacked, can you imagine that was our dressing room. Every paper and football program would be constantly analysing that situation.

Lets be honest it is so bad at Chelsea that John Terry is contemplating a move to Man City, that's real big news. The England captain being so unsettled at the club he would die for should be bigger news for the national newspapers than what is going on with Daniel Agger but you would never know that by looking at the papers.

Arsenal are a strange example to state, they haven't won any major trophies in the past 4 years and the only one they really contested was the champions league in 2006, since then they haven't been close to anything else. So why don't we hear calls for Wenger's job, again if that was us and Rafa decided to spend the next four years blooding young players he would be crucified by the national press, yet Wenger is seen as some sort of footballing genius.
red187

Postby Rorschach26 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Owzat's a :censored: a thought people knew this
Rorschach26

Postby fittemod » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:03 pm

Rorschach26 wrote:Owzat's a :censored: a thought people knew this

Hmm, is this guess the missing word, is it genius? Am I right, do I get a prize?? :D
fittemod

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:43 pm

:no Dear oh dear.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm

bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

bigmick wrote:

what i dont get is how such posts go unnoticed apparently and then u have cards thrown around like its christmas when chosen others chose to reply in similar fashion....
:no
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm

aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:

what i dont get is how such posts go unnoticed apparently and then u have cards thrown around like its christmas when chosen others chose to reply in similar fashion....

Has his post gone unnoticed, though?   ???  I think you'll find that it has not.  What you might also like to notice is that there is a lot of abuse being tossed around just at the moment and keeping on top of all of it is getting to be a full time job.  Unfortunately, I have another, real full-time job that keeps me pretty busy, not to mention a family that I like to spend time with as well.  So, sadly for moaners like you, I can't be around here 24/7 monitoring every post as its made and meting out justice in lightning quick fashion when someone crosses the line.  I'm afraid that's a reality that you'll just have to deal with.  Another reality check for you, while we're chatting--your complaints about abuse might get taken more seriously if you weren't prone to a little argy-bargy yourself when disagreeing with people.  You're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution, right? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
aCe' wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Has his post gone unnoticed, though?   ???  I think you'll find that it has not.  What you might also like to notice is that there is a lot of abuse being tossed around just at the moment and keeping on top of all of it is getting to be a full time job.  Unfortunately, I have another, real full-time job that keeps me pretty busy, not to mention a family that I like to spend time with as well.  So, sadly for moaners like you, I can't be around here 24/7 monitoring every post as its made and meting out justice in lightning quick fashion when someone crosses the line.  I'm afraid that's a reality that you'll just have to deal with.  Another reality check for you, while we're chatting--your complaints about abuse might get taken more seriously if you weren't prone to a little argy-bargy yourself when disagreeing with people.  You're either part of the problem or you're part of the solution, right? ???

i seemingly get carded everytime i say "fcking hell" so lets not even go there bob eh...

my point was not people throwing around abuse, my problem was the consistency (or thereby lack of) of moderating abuse on the forum... ill gladly take a card for returning abuse when someone decides to dish out any my way...by the same tocken i expect the person dishing out abuse to get carded..

i know u do a tough job and im sorry if it seemed like a personal attack but it isnt... just think that maybe a little bit of explanation is needed (atleast for bans) because atm things seem to be messy, ridiculous and quite honestly out of hand...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I think my post fits in this thread.

I will translate you an article of Guillem Balague. From my point of view, that article is bang out of order. He slags Liverpool ex players as a whole.

Please understand the context, he's writing in AS, which is not bought exactly by the educated Spaniard. The kind of reader that who would like to see what's Spanish defended. A bit like your tabloids. I stress this, because this is IMHO a clear opportunistic article by Balague, with more demagogy than truth.

So, the translation.

There are about 21 ex Liverpool players that comment Liverpool games regularly. That is, they generate opinion. 21 ex players, a whole squad.

Why so many? Liverpool's football style of the 70s and the 80s gave them an aura of authority and cosmopolitan touch. In order to play football the way they played it, you had to think (means be clever), and that served well for their second career as pundits.

Gerard Houllier moaned before the arrival of Benitez, about those ex players. He said they spent a couple of years trying to sneak into the club and getting a job, and in case they didn't get it, they made the jump to the keyboard or the microphone (pundits).

As pundits, at the beginning, they defended Houllier with the same passion that the current Man United ex players, very prolific these days too, support Ferguson now.

Until a couple of results made them change their minds: All of a sudden they brought the fateful line "Liverpool played much better when we played" and they attacked Houlliers jugular (that is fiercely), and they could have the vendetta for the day in which they weren't accepted in the club.  It was a vicious circle.

These days, it's happening again: the dark power of those ex footballers keep  causing trouble in the club. They're unwilling to accept that football has changed, and they dream of the same starting eleven that they'd  reele it off parrot-fashion, they dream of training sessions based on lots of 5 a side, and few science, the pass as a flag, and defending what's English as a religion.

They doubt Benitez, especially when the team doesn't win. At the end, then, what are they? Guardians of Football, or Guardians of their own intererest?

Well, given the context you can't be surprised to find a cheap patriotic smell in that article. For me it's very unfair to consider all the ex players, and what they say, as the same thing. To consider them negative as a whole is out of order. You can't blame Aldo's passion. You have to love it for instance. You have to respect what Dalglish say.

But, I brought this article, because, "thanks" (1) to that article, about 3 Million Spaniards think since this morning that Benitez is surrounded by clueless idiots. And that's "thanks" to the media.

On the other side, I do think that sometimes the pundits are too harsh with Rafa (a matter of opinions). BUt it's undoubtable IMHO that they have a great influence and generate opinion.

(1) Note the quotes
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm

It's an interesting piece Sabre. I'll leave others to speculate as to whether or not the criticism from "pundits" is justified. If I start commenting, before you know where you are I'll be accused of jamming up a thread which is supposed to be about the media with Rafa talk. I'll look on with interest, no doubt those who are moaning that there aren't enough football posts will have something enlightening to add though.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion