The way our transfers are being conducted.. - Do the money men have too much influence

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Many people are alluding to this in various references on the Cole purchase, and on the sales of Benayoun and Insua. Sales according to some are Christie clear-outs and are being carried out with little or no prior knowledge of the manager, while purchases are Purslow picks and the manager once again has little or no say.

Obviously we don't know for sure if this is actually how it is happening, but even if it isn't it appears that our manager is happy to step aside and let the money men do the contract negotiations. Ancellotti said this week that Coles problem with Chelsea was "economical", and therefore was "nothing to do with him", so it would appear he is on a similar understanding over at Chelsea.

So the question is, what is actually happening and is it for the better?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 pm

taken from a bbc.com world cup Q&A

Are there any players that you are tracking at this World Cup and is there anyone you have been particularly impressed with so far?   

There have been a lot of players that I am impressed with - a lot of players I do not know that well.

But I have not come here in particular to track players, I have come here to work for the BBC and most of the player tracking that I have been been doing, I have been doing over a long period of time.

doesnt sound like a bystander watching players coming in to me.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Being serious here for a sec, i think people need to realize that managers at all clubs dont have unlimited power when it comes to transfers...
Besides identifying targets to approach and perhaps determining maximum to be offered, i think they leave the other detail negotiations to the money men at the clubs... Naturally, you would expect the manager to talk to the player they are interested in and try to convince them to join the club by talking about future plans and goals ..etc...  I dont think its any different in our case today...

I think too much is being made out of the whole ownership situation when it comes to transfers... Last season we spent 40mill bringing in new players. All of whom i believe the manager chose, and subsequently spoke with the board regarding their transfer fees..

I dont think Purslow is out to ruin the club, i dont think the owners would want or allow him to do so.. Given that the funds are limited and that the squad needs improving im sure the manager and the money men at the club are working together to ensure that the viable targets that the manager wants at the club do end up here.. From what I've heard Roy say, it seems like a few of our players had already negotiated terms with other clubs since last season... Benayoun, Insua and Riera to name 3... My guess is that Rafa had told them they had no future at the club, and that their agents acted on that and found them new clubs over the summer...

In terms of new purchases, i doubt the board would have any reason to sign players the manager might not want here... Afterall, he can simply not play them and that would just lead to the club having a bigger wage budget which is something they obviously wouldnt want...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:19 pm

I think we also need to appreciate we are just guessing here and making our own interpretations.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:21 pm

bavlondon wrote:I think we also need to appreciate we are just guessing here and making our own interpretations.

isnt that a given  :D
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 pm

Someone has to identify the types of players the squad needs and best placed to do that is the manager. For that simple reason I'm not in favour of anyone other than the manager deciding who stays, who goes and who comes in. All within the confines of a budget determined by the board and administered by the chief executive. That's the way it should be, and I suspect that's the way it is. The other day when Roy said Purslow was "in charge if discussions", to me that meant formally negotiating with clubs, players and agents over the terms of any deal. Why? Because that is his job. It isn't Roy's. But such has been the uncertainty off the pitch that some people took it to mean "in charge" of the entire process i.e. from who we sign to the terms on which we sign them.
LFC2007

Postby supersub » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Yossi benaloon is the real talent spotter for LFC he wanted Cole back in February,. Roy justs logs into rumour mill from time too time

Yossi_Benaloon
LFC Member

Group: LFC Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Relax - its not Carlton.....but there are suggestions that we are among the favourites to sign Joe Cole in the summer when his contract runs out. He is apparently free to sign a deal now as his current contract expires in the summer and i would absolutely love to see him come to Anfield. The only problems will be that Man City are the other team linked and Cole will probably have high wage demands. I would move heaven and earth to get Joe Cole to Liverpool.

:laugh:
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Fair play to him, he was on the money :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:33 am

No comment .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:48 am

Roy wont have anything to do as regards the money, fee, wage ect. Then most managers at top clubs dont either, we are gradually taking on the continental way of doing things. Look at rafa. Had quite a bit of power while he was here, especially after his most resent contract with us, now he is head coach at inter. Has NOTHING to do with transfers.
Although I`m not saying roy has nothing to do with our transfers because tbh I dont know.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:02 am

When the club is in virtual administration then by definition the administrators run all aspects of the business, certainly deciding debt levels, transfer fees and what monthly overheads we can afford. But who actually does the homework to say what we need only heaven knows if its not Woy.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:36 am

neil wrote:doesnt sound like a bystander watching players coming in to me.

It is a case of hearing a comment from the manager and not only reading between the lines, but adding lines and text, drawing conclusions and basing it on an interview that the manager may not necessarily have meant to come out the way it did.

No great surprise on a football discussion forum where anything you say may be taken down, interpreted however the hell the quoter likes, and THEN used in evidence.................................
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:37 am

Rush Job wrote:Roy wont have anything to do as regards the money, fee, wage ect. Then most managers at top clubs dont either,

Exactly. Too much FM and other footy management games played methinks, people assuming the manager has some input in everything.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:42 am

It's modern day football unfortunately. It's the reason that Curbishley resigned at West Ham and Keegan resigned at Newcastle. Basically players were being brought over the manager's head without the manager getting a say in the matter. Shevchenko was'nt brought by Mourinho in a million years at Chelsea and that is one of the reasons why he ended up leaving aswell.

In the past you could never name a chief executive or chairman at the majority of clubs. Today they're whoring themselves to the media left right and centre, Gary Cook at Man City being the latest example.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:28 pm

coincidently rafa's just come out and said the same thing for him at Inter...

Inter's new boss doesn't decide sales

Rafa Benitez is refusing to be drawn on speculation that stars Maicon and Mario Balotelli will be sold by Inter Milan this summer.

Maicon and Balotelli have been linked with moves to Real Madrid and Manchester City respectively after fine campaigns in Italy.

Benitez is now at the helm of the Nerazzurri after replacing Jose Mourinho and says whether any player leaves the club is out of his hands.

The Spaniard does not fear being remembered as the Inter manager who lost the club's stars as he know the club's hierarchy makes the decisions.

"Maicon and Balotelli? I always remember what former manager of Real Madrid Luis Molowny said, let's wait and see what happens, don't act with haste," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The club decides the transfers, I adapt. Do I fear being remembered in a few years as the coach who let go of Balotelli? I repeat: I do not control the market. One player doesn't make a team and Inter has many strong players."
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion