Houllier-why still believe in him - How can you be optimistic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Fri May 27, 2005 11:38 am

azriahmad wrote:He will never admit that, Banana. Too full of himself. I respect Stu for his knowledge but he is also a bit forthright and always thinks he is right all the time and would not hesitate to diss people if he has the chance. Humble pie is totally out of charachter for him.

One thing I will say, is that what Benithez pulled off, Houllier will never be able to do. One thing Benithez is good at is changing the team's play and direction during a match by intorducing a few subs and switching the tactics.

agreed.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri May 27, 2005 12:55 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Houllier deserves a little credit. Traore, Cisse, Baros, Smicer, Hyppia, Finnan, Risse and Dudek were all Houllier signings in a team which won the European Cup. Houllier wasn't a bad spotter of talant, I just think his man-management and tactical nouse was inferior to that of Rafa's.

i wonder how many of those players will still be playing for the reds next year  ???
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:03 pm

fair call E7.

I think Rafa will keep Traore as back up if we sign a new left back. Finnan, Riise, Cisse will defo stll be here. Not sure on Dudek, after last night I would hope he stays for another season, but I am thinking with my heart and not my head here. If Reina comes, then he would more tan liley be first choice, then thier is Carson as well as back up, so will their realistically be a palce for Dudek? IMO Kirkalnd should be sold, Reina or Dudek first choice, with Carson being reserves keeper for another season.

Baros is probaly on his way out as is Smicer. I hope to god Hyppia stays, even if we sign a new centre-half, Pellegrino is not good neough, and Hyppia is still a class centre half.

Rafa seems to rate Harry, and perhaps if he gets his operation in the summer he is worth keeping on for one more season to see if he can recreate his form from Leeds.

Hamann should be given a new contract ASAP, he is still a fantastic player and great back up for Stevie G and Xabi, or even in the starting line up whwn playing a more defensive 4-5-1 formation.

Not sure about Biscan, will dpend if we bring in another centre midfielder.

At the moment I ma so proud of all the lads I can't possibly say I want nay of them sold, but depsite winning the European Cup, the fact is we are still not where we want to be, but if Rafa can win the European Cup in 10 months with this sqaud, then imagine what he can do whwn he has had a few years at the helm.

We have quality in the squad. Carra, Hyppia, Cisse, Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Garcia, Finnan, Risse, Hamann Morientes. These players are the crux of the squad and with 3 or 4 good signings over th summer I honestly think that we can be challenging for the league next season, and it can't be too far away before we win it again after so long in the wilderness.

This European Cup is the rebirth of Liverpool FC as the force it once was, and what better man to lead us than Rafael Benitez.  The future is bright, The future is red. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri May 27, 2005 7:09 pm

Houllier deserves a little credit. Traore, Cisse, Baros, Smicer, Hyppia, Finnan, Risse and Dudek were all Houllier signings in a team which won the European Cup. Houllier wasn't a bad spotter of talant, I just think his man-management and tactical nouse was inferior to that of Rafa's.

Banana can't see that though mate. He's just thick as :censored: basically. :D

Lets look at this in a little bit more light... Houlliers players ay Banana.....

Dudek, Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan, Riise, Gerrard, Kewell, Baros, Cisse... Smicer, Hamann...

12 of the 14 that played in the final were signed or brought through by Houllier. Luis Garcia and Alonso were the only ones by Benitez who played.

Don't slag the man off. His reign helped us attract Benitez as a manager and left us with the players possible for the greatest two days of my life. For that and the cup treble (which ranks as my second best memory as a TRUE SCOUSE RED (no offence to anyone except Banana :D ) i will be eternally greatful.

He will never admit that, Banana. Too full of himself. I respect Stu for his knowledge but he is also a bit forthright and always thinks he is right all the time and would not hesitate to diss people if he has the chance. Humble pie is totally out of charachter for him.

One thing I will say, is that what Benithez pulled off, Houllier will never be able to do. One thing Benithez is good at is changing the team's play and direction during a match by intorducing a few subs and switching the tactics.

I'll never admit that? What that i stood up for Houllier till the day he left this club? You wanna :censored: bet. I had faith in my clubs manager, just as i do now. Again, i believe we have the right man, again, i'll support and respect him in whatever he does, again i'll disagree with things he does but he'll always have my support and understanding. He's just won a cup, he deserves the time and patience Gerard NEVER EVER had. I just hope if it goes tits up you lot don't force this one out as quickly as you did the last one. Humble pie my :censored:. I'm not ashamed to admit i support my club and its players and managers.

The second part of your post is excellent, just a shame you wrote :censored: in the first part by sticking up for a knowledgeless fool who starts arguements he can't finish especially when he drags up a post from over a year ago.

nuff said. :buttrock
115-1073096938

Postby banana » Fri May 27, 2005 11:37 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
Houllier deserves a little credit. Traore, Cisse, Baros, Smicer, Hyppia, Finnan, Risse and Dudek were all Houllier signings in a team which won the European Cup. Houllier wasn't a bad spotter of talant, I just think his man-management and tactical nouse was inferior to that of Rafa's.

Banana can't see that though mate. He's just thick as :censored: basically. :D

Lets look at this in a little bit more light... Houlliers players ay Banana.....

Dudek, Traore, Hyypia, Carragher, Finnan, Riise, Gerrard, Kewell, Baros, Cisse... Smicer, Hamann...

12 of the 14 that played in the final were signed or brought through by Houllier. Luis Garcia and Alonso were the only ones by Benitez who played.

Don't slag the man off. His reign helped us attract Benitez as a manager and left us with the players possible for the greatest two days of my life. For that and the cup treble (which ranks as my second best memory as a TRUE SCOUSE RED (no offence to anyone except Banana :D ) i will be eternally greatful.

He will never admit that, Banana. Too full of himself. I respect Stu for his knowledge but he is also a bit forthright and always thinks he is right all the time and would not hesitate to diss people if he has the chance. Humble pie is totally out of charachter for him.

I'll never admit that? What that i stood up for Houllier till the day he left this club? You wanna :censored: bet. I had faith in my clubs manager, just as i do now. Again, i believe we have the right man, again, i'll support and respect him in whatever he does, again i'll disagree with things he does but he'll always have my support and understanding. He's just won a cup, he deserves the time and patience Gerard NEVER EVER had. I just hope if it goes tits up you lot don't force this one out as quickly as you did the last one. Humble pie my :censored:. I'm not ashamed to admit i support my club and its players and managers.

The second part of your post is excellent, just a shame you wrote :censored: in the first part by sticking up for a knowledgeless fool who starts arguements he can't finish especially when he drags up a post from over a year ago.

nuff said. :buttrock

You know Stu, it is never to late to say sorry.

Blind faith is dangerous man. Think about this man; who is the greatest fool, the fool or the one that follows the fool?

AND

You completely misunderstand the concept of supporting a team. If you support someone, you just don't close your eyes and shut up when things turn sour. You speak up, and try to save the situation.

Houllier almost killed the club by his boring defensive style, and he built a base of loyal mediocre players. He had a extremely expensive golden handshake built into his contract making it almost impossible to remove him from poisition. The club lost more than £ 10 million pounds when they sacked his azz. In total LFC has paid around 25 million pounds to him and his coaching staff over the last 5 years. That is 100 times their true worth.

Impatient? FFS Houllier had all the time in the world to do what he wanted with LFC. And he almost inflicted capital damage by his many Diao's and Cheyrou's.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Fri May 27, 2005 11:44 pm

banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Well who's the right man who can come in?

Tell me one manager who we could get in reasonable budget who's proven he's better than Houllier, who's proven he can sign top class talent, who's a great movitator and someone who can build on current success... also who is available and know the modern game.....

Kenny Dalglish? Nope, been out of football for two long but would be my preffered choice.

Martin O'Neil? Gets the best out of average players, could probably work with great players if given the chance but is a gamble. Also hasn't shown he's able to sign players of the correct quality and his tactical awareness and favoured system will never win you the preimer league.

Anyone else?

You talk about winning the league and winning the europian cup. Got news for you kid. It takes time and patience to turn a club in decline to champions and champions league winners. Its not easy either it would have been doen by now.

For ****** sake, you expect us to compete with Chelsea and Uniteds spending power without continuity and patience? Get real.

Chelsea spend more last season than we did in 5 years. We have to do it slowly, maybe 1 or two players a season for the right price.

Cisse will add something to the team, if Houllier had 100m to spend i'm sure he'd go and sign Nesta and Zidane and then we'd be laughing but the fact is he can't.

He'll be able to spend 4-6million on a centre half this summer if that. Who should he sign?

He'll probably get another 4-6million for midfielder... again, who should he sign?

It takes time to build a side. Houllier deserves 1 last season.

In terms of Strikers we are now far better off.

Last season Owen, Baros Heskey then Pongolle. Pongolle was a kid with NO EXPERIENCE. This year he has a bit of experience which will make him a better and more confident player. Cisse is going to be a massive improvement on Heskey who done very little this season. Owen will probably be the same player and Baros may improve a little.

Hopefully we won't have two of them missing for 3 months at the same time again.... but even if they are at least now the backup is better.

The midfield needs a play maker and a winger. But it is still a strong midfield. Kewell, Gerrard and Hamann would walk into any side in world probably. Murphy and Smicer are good squad players. With John Welsh coming through and Le Tallec having more experience we should also be a bit stronger here next season. With the right signing this can become a serious strong point of the side.

The Defence. Very strong, lacking a one pacey centre half. Hyypia is genuine class. Riise has alot of ability and has learnt how to defend. Finnan looks like he's starting to settle and offers something going forward and is decent defensively. Carragher is superb cover across the whole backline and Henchoz aswell as a centre half. Then theres Troare and Vignal who both have there plus points and can do a job IF they are needed.

Goalkeepers. sorted.

Players who can leave, Diouf, Diao, Biscan and Babbel.

We'll see what happens anyways, i think he'll get it right.

Having a little pie son?

As much as I disagreed with Stu at the time and was glad to see GH go, Banana even a 2 year old can wait a year and with the benefit of hindsight say "told you so  :rasp "

Very sad how you've gone trawling back through the forum to dig this one out, but from you it doesn't surprise me
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Fri May 27, 2005 11:58 pm

Woollyback wrote:
banana wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Well who's the right man who can come in?

Tell me one manager who we could get in reasonable budget who's proven he's better than Houllier, who's proven he can sign top class talent, who's a great movitator and someone who can build on current success... also who is available and know the modern game.....

Kenny Dalglish? Nope, been out of football for two long but would be my preffered choice.

Martin O'Neil? Gets the best out of average players, could probably work with great players if given the chance but is a gamble. Also hasn't shown he's able to sign players of the correct quality and his tactical awareness and favoured system will never win you the preimer league.

Anyone else?

You talk about winning the league and winning the europian cup. Got news for you kid. It takes time and patience to turn a club in decline to champions and champions league winners. Its not easy either it would have been doen by now.

For ****** sake, you expect us to compete with Chelsea and Uniteds spending power without continuity and patience? Get real.

Chelsea spend more last season than we did in 5 years. We have to do it slowly, maybe 1 or two players a season for the right price.

Cisse will add something to the team, if Houllier had 100m to spend i'm sure he'd go and sign Nesta and Zidane and then we'd be laughing but the fact is he can't.

He'll be able to spend 4-6million on a centre half this summer if that. Who should he sign?

He'll probably get another 4-6million for midfielder... again, who should he sign?

It takes time to build a side. Houllier deserves 1 last season.

In terms of Strikers we are now far better off.

Last season Owen, Baros Heskey then Pongolle. Pongolle was a kid with NO EXPERIENCE. This year he has a bit of experience which will make him a better and more confident player. Cisse is going to be a massive improvement on Heskey who done very little this season. Owen will probably be the same player and Baros may improve a little.

Hopefully we won't have two of them missing for 3 months at the same time again.... but even if they are at least now the backup is better.

The midfield needs a play maker and a winger. But it is still a strong midfield. Kewell, Gerrard and Hamann would walk into any side in world probably. Murphy and Smicer are good squad players. With John Welsh coming through and Le Tallec having more experience we should also be a bit stronger here next season. With the right signing this can become a serious strong point of the side.

The Defence. Very strong, lacking a one pacey centre half. Hyypia is genuine class. Riise has alot of ability and has learnt how to defend. Finnan looks like he's starting to settle and offers something going forward and is decent defensively. Carragher is superb cover across the whole backline and Henchoz aswell as a centre half. Then theres Troare and Vignal who both have there plus points and can do a job IF they are needed.

Goalkeepers. sorted.

Players who can leave, Diouf, Diao, Biscan and Babbel.

We'll see what happens anyways, i think he'll get it right.

Having a little pie son?

As much as I disagreed with Stu at the time and was glad to see GH go, Banana even a 2 year old can wait a year and with the benefit of hindsight say "told you so  :rasp "

Very sad how you've gone trawling back through the forum to dig this one out, but from you it doesn't surprise me

Wooly. I see your point. Making mistakes and being wrong is human. And Stu should just admit that he was wrong, that's all. I remebered so well my many temperamental discussions with him on the Houllier subject. I wanted to see Houllier swing, but Stu wanted to give him more time and called me stupid because I had no clue, and Houllier was a fantastic blessing and so on and so on.

FFS we had our best spell when Houllier was away sick and Phil T. ran things.

Having said that I also discovered that Stu wanted Benitez as Houllier's predecessor after he learned that Foolier was fired. In that he was right.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sat May 28, 2005 12:03 am

Forgot how much more detailed our football discussions were a year ago.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Mon May 30, 2005 7:26 am

I have nothing more to add, but I heard that when you go a major operation especially heart operation, there bound to be some side effects.

When they cut open you and you heart (if open heart surgery) the blood supply to the heard is suspended for a while, and the blood supply to the brain cells is also inevitable interuped. As a result one come out out from an operation with some damages on the brain cells.

GH might have been through it. He made some bad, bad decission after coming out from the operation .
hobbes

Postby policy » Mon May 30, 2005 9:34 am

I bet he got that Lyon job by claiming that it was the squad he put together that won the CL this year. what a to$$er.

I can't believe he took all that money from us for doing nothing this year. If he was a man, he wouldn't have accepted the money that he didn't work for. Rafa makes Houllier look like school on a Sunday: No class.
Mourinho was customizing his flashy blue racing car -- applying the finishing touches of go-faster stripes, aerodynamic spoilers and a fat f@ck you exhaust -- while on his red car, Benitez was trying to glue together a broken chassis, repair bodywork and replace burst tyres.
- Paul Tomkins
policy

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 30, 2005 3:18 pm

If Houllier was the right man at the end of the 2003/04 season and should not have been sacked as you"always support the manager" then how can Rafa be the right man.

If Rafa is the right man, then it means Houllier had to be ousted so it would be bad for the club to keep with GH.

When we struggled early in the premiership this season, GH said "LFC aren't doing better without him" hence he deserves credit, when things go well he says "MY team have done well" i.e. he deserves credit.

Lyon have fallen for his bullsh1t. Hopefully he'll buy back all the LFC players (even the few good ones) he bought at the price we paid for them i.e. £100m

GH  - YOU HAVE A JOB NOW, HOW ABOUT GIVING BACK THE £5M YOU GOT TO GO AWAY!!!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon May 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Big Niall wrote:If Houllier was the right man at the end of the 2003/04 season and should not have been sacked as you"always support the manager" then how can Rafa be the right man.

If Rafa is the right man, then it means Houllier had to be ousted so it would be bad for the club to keep with GH.

When we struggled early in the premiership this season, GH said "LFC aren't doing better without him" hence he deserves credit, when things go well he says "MY team have done well" i.e. he deserves credit.

Lyon have fallen for his bullsh1t. Hopefully he'll buy back all the LFC players (even the few good ones) he bought at the price we paid for them i.e. £100m

GH  - YOU HAVE A JOB NOW, HOW ABOUT GIVING BACK THE £5M YOU GOT TO GO AWAY!!!!

I expect him to move for Cheyrou and Diao ASAP.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Gen Ming » Mon May 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Whether Houllier was the right man for the job, I think he has done his best and deserved at least some respect for his effort. For goodness sake it almost cause him his life. For that I wish there is no more negative comment about him while we look ahead towards Rafa's reign.
Gen Ming

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 30, 2005 4:28 pm

why on earth are peope dragging up posts from 1 year ago??  ???
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:10 pm

Kewell... its a pathetic attempt to start an arguement with me and bash Houllier... thats why. :D
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion