Second half of the season be optimistic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Tim LFC » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

The first half of this season has been dreadful,torrid and hard to watch as Liverpool have faltered to new depths of low. But never the less we should get behind our team for the second half of the season! We can become a triumphant team once again, and definitely get into the top 4!

Aquilani and Maxi

Now some stupid fans may regard Aquilani as a flop already but hold on now, he's only played 2 games in the premier league and has shown some class and creativity which our midfield has been devoid of since the departure of Alonso. So what should we be expecting from Aquilani? Well for him to only get better, it's pretty much inevitable. As the team gains more wins and confidence starts grow, we shall start to see the real Aquilani. Will have save our season? No, but he'll give us more creativity allowing us to score more goals.

Maxi can't be underestimated in my opinion. All the Man U fans laughing at our signing just because he's meant to be past it, is rather laughable and pathetic. Whilst he might not be a young and exciting. He still can become an important player this season. He can score goals, move the ball about well,improve the speed of our attack and deliver good crosses.

A new attacking edge

Bringing in Aquilani and Maxi seems to hint to me that Rafa is looking for a more attacking minded team. Both Aquilani and Maxi are attacking minded players. I personally think Aquilani will enjoy spraying the ball across wide to Maxi or Reira because they both can deliver fairly good balls and spread defenders. It will give our team a new attacking dimension. Seeing Maxi and Johnson attacking on the right flank will cause teams problems.

Gerrard and Torres

As Aquilani gains match fitness and becomes more accustomed to the league. Gerrard and Torres should be able to build there incredibly deadly partnership back up again. With Aquilani either passing the balls forward towards Torres or Gerrard or spraying it to the wings means one thing. Gerrard and Torres should get more service which realistically should mean more goals. And if Aquilani,Maxi,Reira,Benayoun and Kuyt and can score more this should take some burden off of Torres's and Gerrards shoulders.

Youngsters

Because we have finally shipped out dead wood this should mean our youngsters get a chance to prove themselves and become an intricate part of our squad. With Dossena leaving Insua should get more times at LB. With Voronin leaving it means Pacheco and N'gog have more chances to prove themselves.

Most of all even though we have actually decreased the size of our squad we have more options now just because of signing Maxi. And hopefully Babel can prove what he's worth. So we should all get behind the team and be optimistic about our second half of this season. As us making the top 4 doesn't seem to be that hard if we start to hit some form.
Tim LFC

Postby roberto green » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:09 pm

You should be banned, don't you know this is a non positive forum.

:D

Fair play to you tho and refreshing to see, you will have to come up with a lot more than that though if your going to persuade most in this forum.

Particularly liked the way you sectioned your topic out, like a mini novel of our 2nd half of season review.

Nice wishful thinking, Well done.

:cool:
roberto green

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:14 am

Irony in calling some "stupid fans", yet expecting the season to fall into place just like that. Apparently it's stupid to call Aquilani a flop, but clever to assume incoming signings might work, that Rafa will suddenly turn to youth and that we've ditched all the dead wood (yeah, right) To finish it off with Babel (even "hopefully") proving what he's worth kind of completes the irony

I'm sure there was a purpose with this thread, perhaps it really is just another soapbox for a forum member to make sure everyone reads his view whereas a post in an existing thread would probably see it mainly ignored

EDIT : but unlike sir roger, perhaps he won't keep giving a dead thread "the kiss of life" by revisiting it when it wasn't that worthwhile to start with. Got to love threads where near half the posts are by the thread starter, nurturing his beloved brainchild like a little baby, protecting it and fighting off any threats
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Owzat wrote:Irony in calling some "stupid fans", yet expecting the season to fall into place just like that. Apparently it's stupid to call Aquilani a flop, but clever to assume incoming signings might work, that Rafa will suddenly turn to youth and that we've ditched all the dead wood (yeah, right) To finish it off with Babel (even "hopefully") proving what he's worth kind of completes the irony

I'm sure there was a purpose with this thread, perhaps it really is just another soapbox for a forum member to make sure everyone reads his view whereas a post in an existing thread would probably see it mainly ignored

EDIT : but unlike sir roger, perhaps he won't keep giving a dead thread "the kiss of life" by revisiting it when it wasn't that worthwhile to start with. Got to love threads where near half the posts are by the thread starter, nurturing his beloved brainchild like a little baby, protecting it and fighting off any threats

ha ha

spot on though.

Some threads remind me of a single or an Album in the charts and just as the thread is dropping down the pecking order in comes the topic starter to write something then suddenly the thread is given a new lease of life.

roberto green

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:36 pm

Owzat wrote:Irony in calling some "stupid fans", yet expecting the season to fall into place just like that. Apparently it's stupid to call Aquilani a flop, but clever to assume incoming signings might work, that Rafa will suddenly turn to youth and that we've ditched all the dead wood (yeah, right) To finish it off with Babel (even "hopefully") proving what he's worth kind of completes the irony

"the kiss of life"
"protecting it and fighting off any threats"

Haha annoyed you a bit there hasnt it?
What is "worthwhile" to you may be boring as fu'ck to someone else.
As a matter of interest could you give me an example of what you deem as "worthwhile"?

:;):
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:55 pm

if (and its a BIG if) we can get our act together and string some results then there is no reason we can't start chasing the leading pack. Its 12 points and no one is hitting form, so its possible.  Unlikely i know, but very possible.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:51 pm

Team are dropping points left right and center. It's possible.

Now watch this thread descend into a Rafa bash...
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Team are dropping points left right and center. It's possible.

but didn't you know it's Rafa's fault other teams are dropping point left right and cenrtre.

roberto green

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Team are dropping points left right and center. It's possible.

Which is what I was trying to say in the Man for Man thread! Their team is not much better than ours, if at all.
Its like the prem that no-one wants to win. Chelsea and the skanks are treading water at best. The bitters took a point off the :censored:. I believe man city villa and spurs will falter. If our players get a run together anything could happen...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:00 am

It's a good topic starter, very positive and it's hard to disagree with too much of it. Predictably for "positive" threads, it calls people who don't agree with it "stupid", and equally predictably one or two posters are bemoaning the fact that it's turned into a "Rafa bashing thread" before anyones even mentioned his name. Leaving all that aside though, sifting throuhg the nonsense, it's a good thread.

Like its starter, I think we have a very good chance of getting fourth in the league. We aren't certainties or anything, but I think as I have for a while that ourselves and Citeh will fight it out. Going throught he topic starters other points:

Aquilani and Maxi- I know very little about Maxi Rodriguez, but given the fact that in order to improve the team he has to surpass Dirk Kuyts contribution this season I am more than hopeful. I am less so about Aquilani as I think his game is very far removed from being ideal for English football.Of course he may learn and reinvent himself, but I think the chances of him doing it anytime soon are minute to be honest. You may be able to teach old dogs new tricks, and even old footballers, but it takes longer than five minutes. He's going to have to learn to play the game in an entirely different way, as such at this point IMHO he is a poor buy.

A new attacking edge: Well we need one, and hopefully these two newcomers will provide it. My suspicion is though that Gerrard and Torres returning to at least 80% fitness will be more significant. Equally, I don't see the emergence of Aquilani as providing the catalyst for those two, they need fitness.

Youngsters- I don't personally think that in the shortish term any of ours are good enough, so I don't see that having too much influence.

Quite simply though, if we play to our potential with the players that we have, we are comfortably one of the best four teams in the league so we simply must improve all things being equal. I do agree with that, although a little bit like doubting whether or not me leaving my video player on standby has much of an effect on the polar ice cap melting, I'm not sure that me sitting in a corner 12,000 miles away going Hmmmmmmmmmm trying to convince myself to 'believe believe believe' is really going to make that much difference to anybody. We will be very close to getting fourth though, I do agree with that.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:50 pm

roberto green wrote:

but didn't you know it's Rafa's fault other teams are dropping point left right and cenrtre.

is that a FACT?   :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby loopyliverpool » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

When all are fit play: Reina (obviously) Aurellio, Agger, Carra, Johnson; Babel (Reina), Mascherano, Gerrard, Rodriguez (if we get him) or Kuyt/Babel; Benayoun and Torres up front. This is a more balanced side and gives us Gerrard's invention in the middle of the park with Mascherano's defensive nous, some proper wingers who could then provide decent balls into Torres who will also have Gerrard and Benayoun playing balls in for him and can also provde goals of their own.
loopyliverpool

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 pm

Hang on. The Maxi Rodriguez deal hasn't been finalised yet. Why are we assuming he is here already?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:55 pm

The deal has been agree'd so he is pretty much our player.. he just needs to sort out his contract with Athletico and fly over for a medical.
Fauxy

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:58 am

I think the time has come for Liverpool fans to be more optimistic, hopefully over the second half of the season we can have Torres and Gerrard fit and the other injury problems can clear up. If we get Rodriguez in and maybe another couple seen as though we seem to be clearing some of the deadwood out of Anfield then we could have an improved side and with some confidence should be able to start getting results and climbing the table again.
Yossi_Benaloon

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion