Houllier-why still believe in him - How can you be optimistic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Tue May 31, 2005 5:05 pm

Im glad he went and ecstatic we got Rafa but show some respect to the guy he did work hard and did drag us into the new era.

Good luck to him at Lyons I say
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue May 31, 2005 5:26 pm

Taff thats all that needed to be said on the matter mate.

Shows one or two people have an ounce of sense and perspective at least.
115-1073096938

Postby azriahmad » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:35 am

Don't misunderstand me, Stu, I have no ill-feeling for Houllier and wish him all the best at Lyon.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RAFABENITEZ » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:41 am

stop slaggin GH off, he would have died for the club, lets move forward with BENITEZ, LEAVE Gerard to his Lyon post, i hope he does well with them.
he bought Hamann, hyypia, henchoz, babbel, etc so it wasnt all bad was it? and who out there can argue El hadji didnt look a 10m player in the world cup?
Look foward to our future lads, but never forget those night allez allez bellowed around the kop.
now la bamba bellows.
RAFABENITEZ
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:00 am

I was happy to see GH go as i felt he just couldnt take us any further and i was wrapped with Rafa appointments but the slagging that GH gets beggars belief.
In a few seasons time if are we still struggling to make headway on top 3 and Rafa gets his marching orders , will fans then besmirch our wonderful night in Istanbul as just being fluke that was based on luck.
After being spoilt through 80s with endless Red victories, i suffered the barren 90s badly and regardless of how much luck was involved i never the forgot the joy that 2001 treble brought me.
I just hope that GH will be judged far better with passing of time
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:30 am

I dont think anyone wishes ill of Houllier, but most agree that we needed to get rid.
Am not denyin his passion and commitment, but he wasted a lot of money and our style of football was so negative. We were being slated by everyone.
OK he did win trophies, i was at 2 of the finals and they were brilliant days, i thank him for that...but i am certain that we needed someone to take us to the next level.
Step up Rafa Benitez, to achieve what he did this season with the squad he inherited, he is a messiah.
Good luck at Lyon GH.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:30 pm

I hope we get the opportunity to play Lyon in Europe next year. Benitez vs GH.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:39 pm

Be careful as sometimes you get what you wish for.

Houllier was no fool. Fools dont win three cups in one season.

Now I think weve got the better of the two before the hordes come on here ranting about him but he is capable of pulling a win out of the hat.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:34 pm

Houllier made some superlative signings (McAllister, Litmanen both for free, don't forget), but also some supremely ill-advised ones.

What he did do was give the club a unique treble, Champions League football, and he made us believe seriously that we were good enough to challenge for the title again. Under Souness and Evans we were also-rans at best.

Things deteriorated in his last season when it turned out that we couldn't build on the success of the previous seasons, and quite rightly he moved on. I wished him luck then, and I wish him luck now.

Seriously, just let this go. The time for bitching was 12 months ago. Looking behind us and tutting when we've just won the CL is just ridiculous. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Dalglish » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:32 am

The recently revived debate over GH rumbles on but i can't help feleing many here have missed the point totally ???

What many on here fail to realise is the uniqueness of Liverpool Football Club and the way it treats former servants of the club. We are not like so many clubs who change managers almost as many times as Man U change their kits.

Most of us on this forum can count the managers in our time supporting Liverpool on one hand ........

My point is we don't adopt a "close the door on your way out" policy at this club. We acknowledge the contribution that ALL players and Managers have made to this great clubs history and tradition.

To treat GH like some discarded non -entity and almost pour contempt on him because we now have a new man in charge and have landed the European Cup is poor form in my opinion. 9 of the players who figured in the final last wek were GH purchases, this doesn't mean he would have been able to bring us this far but it DOES MEAN he provided some of the foundations for the historic win.

I've said it before but I believe history will be kinder to GH than many fans have been and I believe that is because history is not quite as fickle and temporal as many fans ???
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:05 am

words of a wise man!
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:31 am

When GH was appointed Lyon's new boss I couldn't stop thinking that we may get them in next season's Champions League(assuming we're allowed in),I'm sure he'd get a great reception at Anfield if it did happen.

It looks like he's after Baros,any chance of taking Cheyrou & Diao off our hands? :)
Gracias King Rafa

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:01 am

Mods ,move this thread to the "Sentimental B'stards with Short Term Memory Loss " section .

Thanx .          :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby banana » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:03 am

Ï just did not think GH was a bad person, just a bad manager. But that all changed when he stole £ 10,7 millions from LFC. Now I think he is a bad person without principles and with no feelings for the club at all.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:51 am

Houlliers severence payout was not even unusual, never mind unique. To suggest that he raped the club financially with his contract is wide of the truth IMHO. Admittedly, some of the signings were so spectacularly ill-advised that the eyebrows do go up a bit in retrospect (to pay 5m for Diao and 4m for Cheyrou were truly astounding pieces of misjudgement. At least Diouf has ability but I digress), but he is not "a bad person" as some have suggested. I'm sure his love for the club was genuine and heartfelt.
Overall he did some good and bad things, probably about in equal measure in my view but it would take a loyal devotee indeed to claim we are not now better off. I wish him well at Lyon. I hope we don't draw them in the Cl because they are already a very good team and no doubt GH will make them harder to beat. Good luck to him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion