Houllier-why still believe in him - How can you be optimistic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 18, 2004 9:40 am

Now that Heskey is gone, Houllier is my next obsession to go. I wish I could be optimistic but I am not. I think he is a poor manager who doesn't have the transfer abilities of Wenger or Ferguson (acknowledging that both have also made errors). He spins the truth all the time and always looks for excuses, he has played Biscan centre back, Henchoz full back and Heskey on the wing.

Don't say ****** like 
(1) he had a heart attack.
(2) We won 6 trophies (Charity shield, Euro super cup etc)
(3) or the one I hate the most, we should support the manager like true fans, bring back Souness then.

Why do his supporters think that GH can win the league, he's been here since 1998 and brought the club to the postion where top 4 is deemed a reasonable result. Or do you think qualifying for the CL is the target for LFC. As much as I think Roy Evans was a poor manager, he would have qualified for CL every year if top 4 was enough.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby daddyo » Tue May 18, 2004 11:22 am

I think you're right in saying that Roy Evans would have qualified for the CL for most of the time that GH has.

There are a great many fans and supporters who do not believe that GH will ever bring the title to Anfield. Its been a roller coaster ride for some of the way as well-some superb performances mixed with some unbelievable dross.
But its the performances that we see (M'boro,Blues,Manure) that give us hope that we can indeed put up a challenge.
It seems the board are prepared to give him another year to fulfill our dreams and on reflection I think they are right.
I think the critical point for the board comes when they have to move GH on, be that upstairs or otherwise, coz the next appointment will be critical.

Like him or not, GH has moved the club on, maybe not as much or as quickly as some would have liked-but progress has been made. To 'ditch' him at the wrong time would be disastrous and heap unbelievable pressure on the incoming manager.

We have to accept that each management team has their own way of doing things, and sometimes it takes time for those methods to filter through,and sometimes you have to go through several changes of players to get the correct balance.

All I'm saying is that if we make the wrong move at the wrong time it could cost us-both in terms of (re-development)time and(team re-building) money.

I'm convinced Manure are where they are because they learned their lesson.
They bombed Atkinson when he was on the verge of building a great side and with hindsight wished they had not, and with Fergie, when all were calling for his head they resisted and we all know what happened .
daddyo

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 18, 2004 11:40 am

Houllier never actually had a heart attack
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 18, 2004 12:45 pm

ask me again in october if i am still optimistic. by that stage we will either be still in the title race or out of it. that will answer your question.

we are as short as 14/1 with some bookies to win the league, in from 33/1 about 3 weeks ago. worth a tenner i think. ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue May 18, 2004 12:47 pm

GH is going to be our manager next season...i say get behind him at the start of the season.  If we are out of the title race by October (like last season) then we should start to make a noise about it.  Until then, he's got one last chance
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 18, 2004 12:59 pm

The thing about giving GH until October /November is what if he spends money over Summer on players the new manager doesn't rate. e.g. assume the new manager doesn't like Cisse's style of play, then that is £14m wasted. The sell on value drops if the bidding club knows the selling club really want a guy gone.

The only GH achievment (I don't rate any trophy he's won) is getting rid of the "soft" image that Roy Evans gave the team/club. Under Evans the team could be out fought by anybody, now we're just out played by most.

I think GH keeps saying that he has brought the club one, how - specifics. Gerrared & Owen would be at the club no matter who was manager and they carry the team.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue May 18, 2004 1:04 pm

Big Niall wrote:The thing about giving GH until October /November is what if he spends money over Summer on players the new manager doesn't rate. e.g. assume the new manager doesn't like Cisse's style of play, then that is £14m wasted. The sell on value drops if the bidding club knows the selling club really want a guy gone.

The only GH achievment (I don't rate any trophy he's won) is getting rid of the "soft" image that Roy Evans gave the team/club. Under Evans the team could be out fought by anybody, now we're just out played by most.

I think GH keeps saying that he has brought the club one, how - specifics. Gerrared & Owen would be at the club no matter who was manager and they carry the team.

i know what you're saying big niall. houllier should have been sacked a year ago imo. however i can't be @rsed whinging anymore until i see the players we buy in the summer and how they gel when the season starts.

i fully believe next year to be houlliers last chance to win the title, as it is the last year of his managerial contract.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby big al » Tue May 18, 2004 3:49 pm

Do you know what I've learnt about Houllier?  It matters very little what fans think about him in the end its down to Parry and Moores.  Many moths ago I posted on this site that Houllier was much more than a manager, he was a eufa & Fifa insider with freinds at the very top of world football. Some here smiled and wrote off my thread.  Yet here we are with good old Houllier getting a summer job as one of the technechal advisors for euro 2004.  Here we are with Raneri getting the boot for an outstanding season with Chelsea who have no real pedigree and here we are languishing in fourth place 30 points behind Arsenal retaining a manager who in liverpool terms has acheieved very little indeed. 

One of the problem with many of the current fans of Liverpool is that they have'nt seen the glory days, so the judge the team on the medocre also rans that surround them.  Standards were set and they have been lost, 13 years of winning cups maybe fine for many young fans but sometimes I wonder when I'm lying in bed in the darkness of night " if I'll ever feel the pride in my heart, of belonging to the family of the greatest football club in the world".  Will I ever be able to smuggly look at a manc or a gunner fan and let them ramble on and on knowing that my beloved Liverpool beat them to the Championship. 

The state of Liverpool is an absolute disgrace, from Moore to parry to Houllier to some of the players is shameful.  Parry and Moores are intent on running Liverpool into the bloody ground, This episode with Morgan is another farce whereby the club's name and reputation is once again tarnished, because parry is useless he plays out his bussiness in public.  Liverpool are not a PLC they don't have run to the media with every little piece of nonsense.   Parry and Houllier have cavorted and leaked stories to the media but when the tough questions came houlliers way he got angry, he's a ****** teacher not a football manager, he may well be a nice man, but so was my P.E. teacher at school but he knew ****** all about football.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue May 18, 2004 3:58 pm

big al wrote:Do you know what I've learnt about Houllier?  It matters very little what fans think about him in the end its down to Parry and Moores.  Many moths ago I posted on this site that Houllier was much more than a manager, he was a eufa & Fifa insider with freinds at the very top of world football. Some here smiled and wrote off my thread.  Yet here we are with good old Houllier getting a summer job as one of the technechal advisors for euro 2004.  Here we are with Raneri getting the boot for an outstanding season with Chelsea who have no real pedigree and here we are languishing in fourth place 30 points behind Arsenal retaining a manager who in liverpool terms has acheieved very little indeed. 

the whole situation sucks to be quite honest. the board have thrown ambition out of the window due to their blind loylaty. things don't just happen in football, you have to make them happen, and if that means making necessary changes then so be it. the fact is the board cannot afford to think "houllier will eventually win the league" to enhance their own egos. at any other top club he would have been axed two years ago simple as that.

without this investment i believe we would have been well and truly stuffed for next season. our entire transfer budget was pretty much being blown on one player. however now it looks as though we will have more money to spend than originally anticipated. i believe that this summer is critical for houllier. all the signings must be top class and i personally believe we need to challenge for the league right down to the death if houllier is to keep his job.

amen!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Tue May 18, 2004 4:20 pm

big al wrote:One of the problem with many of the current fans of Liverpool is that they have'nt seen the glory days, so the judge the team on the medocre also rans that surround them.  Standards were set and they have been lost, 13 years of winning cups maybe fine for many young fans but sometimes I wonder when I'm lying in bed in the darkness of night " if I'll ever feel the pride in my heart, of belonging to the family of the greatest football club in the world".  Will I ever be able to smuggly look at a manc or a gunner fan and let them ramble on and on knowing that my beloved Liverpool beat them to the Championship. 

The ole glory days...when every once in a while the scums beat us in the odd cup games here and there is being celebrated like the highlight of their season.
Where once opponents came to Anfield trying to avoid a trashing, were intimidated before they step onto the field (hence the "This Is Anfield" sign).
Where once we were able to win games and played attacking football at the same time.
Where we make the Galacticos looked like a Mickey mouse team, feared by the mighty Juventus, walk tall among the Romas, Milans, respected near and far alike...

...well, we still have the set up, the passionate fans, the financials...what the bloody 'ell went wrong ???? ?????

The state of Liverpool is an absolute disgrace, from Moore to parry to Houllier to some of the players is shameful.  Parry and Moores are intent on running Liverpool into the bloody ground.

Moores, Perry and Houllier only cared for their personal  benefits. The episode with Morgan only served to hammer in the point.
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby Big Niall » Tue May 18, 2004 5:27 pm

the point about the young members of this forum thinking that winning a few cups is something to gloat about is a great one. I remember when LFC won the European cup, now we gloat about beating Manu in a one off game, qualifying for a Eurepean tournament is now supposed to be an achievement. I hate when guys talk about "competing with the big 3", the aim should be "BEATING the big 3"

Any young fan, who can't remember when LFC used to win the league more often than not, should look at some old videos and the football played. Then come back and say GH's mickey mouse trophies and achievement of getting 60 points in the league is worthy of another season.

I love the way these guys throw away a season at the drop of a hat , "give him one more year" why the ****** should we have to put up with another year of this ******.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 18, 2004 8:47 pm

Do you ever have anything positive to say about Liverpool Fc, if not ****** off to the everton website you bitter twisted narky arsewipe.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Tue May 18, 2004 11:23 pm

Why would a Liverpool fan tell another Liverpool fan to ****** to an Everton website.  Have we already became a psuedo Thai state were fans have'nt got a democratic right to express there opinions.  Leon everyone here has something positive to contribute, argue and debate when you disagree but for goodness sake give people with an opinion the respect to listen and reply without abusing them.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby fritzylfc » Tue May 18, 2004 11:41 pm

we pay our gate fees week in week out that gives us all an opion, some pay now some payed 10- 15 50 years ago we,er all reds. if we all turned up on the same day we d still argue. thats football.
fritzylfc

Postby glenbuck patriot » Wed May 19, 2004 12:39 am

Big Niall wrote:the point about the young members of this forum thinking that winning a few cups is something to gloat about is a great one. I remember when LFC won the European cup, now we gloat about beating Manu in a one off game, qualifying for a Eurepean tournament is now supposed to be an achievement. I hate when guys talk about "competing with the big 3", the aim should be "BEATING the big 3"

Any young fan, who can't remember when LFC used to win the league more often than not, should look at some old videos and the football played. Then come back and say GH's mickey mouse trophies and achievement of getting 60 points in the league is worthy of another season.

I love the way these guys throw away a season at the drop of a hat , "give him one more year" why the ****** should we have to put up with another year of this ******.

I'm in total agreeance, Leon, listen to the Teacher at school more, by your post's, that have often amused me in the past you can only be described as juvenile with that last post described abve!

What else is there to say only this;

If FOURTH is now considered an ACHIEVEMENT, GOD HELP US!

Remember First is First, Second You're Nothing! (Shankly!)

We older, and I'm 36 REDS, can remember when 2nd was ****** poor, can REMEMBER When we played flowing, attractive football, that was the talk of not just Europe, BUT, the whole WORLD!

It was based on a very simple philosophy, "PASS & MOVE", GH (As I've already stated in a separate post), said that if we wanted to go back to those ways we would do it without him.. ala (If you want 60's/70's Football You Won't do it with me in charge) .. Or words to that effect!

GREAT, Bye Bye... (YOU Leon picked up on the good riddance!)

Getting back to the point in hand GH, He should GO NOW, He has taken US as far as he can, has been found OUT as tactically inept by most team's in the premiership, WE USED to be predictable for ALL the right reasons (In the Day's of the Last Minute Lion's), NOW we are predictable for ALL the Wrong reasons!

When was the last time WE came from behind?

Most teams NOW know how to play us at Anfield,... it's NO LONGER the fortress it was

We stand a better chance of beating teams on the counter attack with a pin-point ball from Stevie to Michael... ala our equaliser against the geordies!(HOME OR AWAY!)

An opportunity for this kind of play (IT CAN'tBE CALLED FOOTBALL) won't present itself every game.... so What do you get ... Answer INCONSISTANCY!

Coupled with BAD signings, players OUT of postition (Even GH's lovechild Emile has criticised this in tonight's Echo!)

AND what do you get ... A team clambering for CL qualification (4TH), that by the grace of GOD has achieved IT, Don't forget ALL we have achieved at present is the qualifying rounds... NOT the wholy grail of £10 Mil from the full competition!

Some may see this as complete rambling's, but the facts are clear NON of us wants to see our Club 30 points behind the eventual winner's of the league!

Will YOU ALL BE HAPPY WITH 20 points behind next season ?

I think not!

Problem IS GH would!

The Spineless BOARD would!

The time for change has been apparent for TWO season's, MORGAN SEE'S THAT, HE'S A KOPITE, JUST LIKE ME, WHY CAN'T YOU?
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion