Houllier-why still believe in him - How can you be optimistic

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed May 19, 2004 2:12 pm

where do I come from?  Essex.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 2:42 pm

i wish that houllier would be a bit more ruthless against people who aren't pulling their weight. that press conference was the first time i've really seen him get angry and show some passion. where is the houllier who ruthlessly axed westerveld a couple of seasons ago?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redandblue » Wed May 19, 2004 3:08 pm

Houllier has moved the club forward in the sense that he got rid of some of the wasters and put some discipline back in to the squad.

Unfortunately, many of his buys have been dreadful, his style of play is terrible, and despite his five year plan, we do not have a squad which is capable of competing with the best teams in England let alone in Europe.

Liverpool have frequently been dire to watch, our results generally have been awful and we are many years from building a side which could match Arsenal.

Houllier, Parry and some of the Houllier sychophants on this board talk about that treble season. The realists out here know that winning those trophies came about with a huge measure of fortune............we were absolutely outclassed by Arsenal in the Cup Final, we couldn't beat Birmingham in 120 minutes of football, and we conceded 4 goals to a pub team in the UEFA Cup final. The treble?? It wasn't a patch on United's treble (even if United were fortunate themselves against Bayern).

And so, it will be great day for the club when Houllier finally goes. He should be followed by Moores and Parry who have allowed this great club to slide into mediocrity. The Houllier years, particularly the past two, represent a huge opportunity missed. Our new manager has a major clearout and rebuilding job to do. That's Houllier's legacy.

Liverpool once stood for excellence on and off the pitch. This is, sadly, no longer the case.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed May 19, 2004 3:15 pm

redandblue wrote:we are many years from building a side which could match Arsenal.

i think that's a complete overexaggeration. we played arsenal off the park in the first half of both games aginst them this season. we just failed to nail home our advantage.

are you telling me that players like lauren, lehmann, toure, ljungberg, edu, gilberto silva, wiltord are better than what we have to offer? we have two world class players where as arsenal have three.

the main difference is not in the quality of the players (especially the best 11's), it is more to do with attitude, team spirit and style of play. arsenal are allowed to express themselves whereas we have a safety first approach. with three top class additions i see us as being potentially as good as arsenal. i just don't think houllier is the man to get the best out of them.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby SantaGiveHoullierTheSack » Wed May 19, 2004 4:32 pm

stmichael wrote:
redandblue wrote:we are many years from building a side which could match Arsenal.

i think that's a complete overexaggeration. we played arsenal off the park in the first half of both games aginst them this season. we just failed to nail home our advantage.

are you telling me that players like lauren, lehmann, toure, ljungberg, edu, gilberto silva, wiltord are better than what we have to offer? we have two world class players where as arsenal have three.

the main difference is not in the quality of the players (especially the best 11's), it is more to do with attitude, team spirit and style of play. arsenal are allowed to express themselves whereas we have a safety first approach. with three top class additions i see us as being potentially as good as arsenal. i just don't think houllier is the man to get the best out of them.

I am thinking along this line too. I think the core of the squad is good but a couple of positions needs to be strengthen. With better tactical application we should be up there challenging.

With Houllier, the problem is whenever we are ahead, he will adopt a defensive fomation. How many time have we allowed opposition clawing back the deficits?

Face it, GH will not be the guy taking us to the top. No point of giving him another season. Let's cut the loss and move forward. Any new manager will want to have transfer funds make available to him. If GH failed to ignite our title challenge by Dec and have blown his £40M what chance we got to entice a quality replacement then?
SantaGiveHoullierTheSack

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 19, 2004 6:00 pm

Style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play, style of play.

STOP TALKING MINDLESS B0LL0CKS!!!

THAT IS THE MOST GARBAGE I'VE HEARD IN MY LIFE!!!

Personel is the current problem. The style and tactics (WITH THE RIGHT PERSONEL WHICH HE IS LOOKING FOR) will get the best out of our players.

STOP TALKING ******, ITS BORING THE ****** OUT OF ME!!!
115-1073096938

Postby Scottbot » Wed May 19, 2004 6:07 pm

Stu - You should take a look at some of your own posts before bitching everyone else. Incase you hadn't noticed, it's same ******, different day with most of your posts. Always pro-Houllier with a 'we're nearly there, just you wait an see' slant to your argument and a good dose of damning criticism for the person whose post you are scything down into the bargain. Take a look in the mirror once in a while.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red till i'm dead » Wed May 19, 2004 6:47 pm

Stu your an idiot if you think Houllier is doing a good job.It is as plain as the nose on Thompson's face that he cant get the best out of his players,his tactics are ****** and he plays too many people out of position.If we had a manager of the calibre of Wenger or Ferguson (even with the current squad) we would not be struggling with the likes of Newcastle,Aston Villa,Charlton etc
Red till i'm dead

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed May 19, 2004 11:19 pm

I'm not an idiot.

I just don't have a short memory. It stretches more than 2 years mate.

Alot more than two years.

He has already improved a MAJOR weakness this season with the replacement of Heskey with Cisse. That alone will make a huge difference!!!

He needed to rebuild the side and thats whats happening now. It takes time to get the right mix and players.

With Owen, Cisse, Kewell, Gerrard, Hamann and Hyypia we have players who could walk into any side in the world.

Then players like Kirkland, Dudek, Carragher, Finnan, Riise, Baros, Murphy, Henchoz who are all more than useful.

With the right additions there will be a massive improvement next season.

When Houllier first took charge he installed a system, then signed players to play in that system and we peaked and won a cup treble and done well in the league.

Now he needs to rebuild, Houllier has installed a new system and is signing new players to play in this system and we are along way from peaking and showing what we are capable of.

Gerrard is now twice the player he was a couple of years ago. That is a massive difference in itself.

We now have two players who are world class. Gerrard and Owen. Both are at the same level.

Next season will be a massive improvement. If not then its time for change. Houllier deserves 1 more season.
115-1073096938

Postby big al » Wed May 19, 2004 11:34 pm

So here we are nothing changes pro Houllier-Anti Houllier.  Who cares it old hat if he goes it will have bu**er all to do with anyone on this forum thats for sure.  So stop fighting and argue about Houllier it has become bloody tiresome.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Shake abush » Thu May 20, 2004 2:25 am

I remember the glory days very well, but you no what i also remember when the Mancs sounded just like our fans do now,the boards to blame, the managers to blame, it started when Dalglish left and all that ******. With or whithout messes Houllier, Moores and Parry and with Who evers money, we have to make a new history for all of us now.I don't know what the answer is, but all the infighting and slagging makes me wanna puke my ring up. :angry:

"how do i get to nirvana mate?"

"Do a right at the George onto oakfield. Follow the road down to the end , you've got the sandon on your right and directly ahead is nirvana"
Shake abush

Postby banana » Fri May 27, 2005 2:43 am

stu_the_red wrote:Well who's the right man who can come in?

Tell me one manager who we could get in reasonable budget who's proven he's better than Houllier, who's proven he can sign top class talent, who's a great movitator and someone who can build on current success... also who is available and know the modern game.....

Kenny Dalglish? Nope, been out of football for two long but would be my preffered choice.

Martin O'Neil? Gets the best out of average players, could probably work with great players if given the chance but is a gamble. Also hasn't shown he's able to sign players of the correct quality and his tactical awareness and favoured system will never win you the preimer league.

Anyone else?

You talk about winning the league and winning the europian cup. Got news for you kid. It takes time and patience to turn a club in decline to champions and champions league winners. Its not easy either it would have been doen by now.

For ****** sake, you expect us to compete with Chelsea and Uniteds spending power without continuity and patience? Get real.

Chelsea spend more last season than we did in 5 years. We have to do it slowly, maybe 1 or two players a season for the right price.

Cisse will add something to the team, if Houllier had 100m to spend i'm sure he'd go and sign Nesta and Zidane and then we'd be laughing but the fact is he can't.

He'll be able to spend 4-6million on a centre half this summer if that. Who should he sign?

He'll probably get another 4-6million for midfielder... again, who should he sign?

It takes time to build a side. Houllier deserves 1 last season.

In terms of Strikers we are now far better off.

Last season Owen, Baros Heskey then Pongolle. Pongolle was a kid with NO EXPERIENCE. This year he has a bit of experience which will make him a better and more confident player. Cisse is going to be a massive improvement on Heskey who done very little this season. Owen will probably be the same player and Baros may improve a little.

Hopefully we won't have two of them missing for 3 months at the same time again.... but even if they are at least now the backup is better.

The midfield needs a play maker and a winger. But it is still a strong midfield. Kewell, Gerrard and Hamann would walk into any side in world probably. Murphy and Smicer are good squad players. With John Welsh coming through and Le Tallec having more experience we should also be a bit stronger here next season. With the right signing this can become a serious strong point of the side.

The Defence. Very strong, lacking a one pacey centre half. Hyypia is genuine class. Riise has alot of ability and has learnt how to defend. Finnan looks like he's starting to settle and offers something going forward and is decent defensively. Carragher is superb cover across the whole backline and Henchoz aswell as a centre half. Then theres Troare and Vignal who both have there plus points and can do a job IF they are needed.

Goalkeepers. sorted.

Players who can leave, Diouf, Diao, Biscan and Babbel.

We'll see what happens anyways, i think he'll get it right.

Having a little pie son?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Fri May 27, 2005 2:49 am

Houllier deserves a little credit. Traore, Cisse, Baros, Smicer, Hyppia, Finnan, Risse and Dudek were all Houllier signings in a team which won the European Cup. Houllier wasn't a bad spotter of talant, I just think his man-management and tactical nouse was inferior to that of Rafa's.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri May 27, 2005 3:36 am

I wondered  how long after the joy of victory would all the self indulgent crowing start   ???
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri May 27, 2005 6:05 am

He will never admit that, Banana. Too full of himself. I respect Stu for his knowledge but he is also a bit forthright and always thinks he is right all the time and would not hesitate to diss people if he has the chance. Humble pie is totally out of charachter for him.

One thing I will say, is that what Benithez pulled off, Houllier will never be able to do. One thing Benithez is good at is changing the team's play and direction during a match by intorducing a few subs and switching the tactics.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion