GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:16 am

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:Whenever you go in and pay big money for a player who is largely unproven, it is by defintition a gamble. My "17 million" was really just to stir the waters up a bit, and to emphasise that I really think this kid has something. Obviously I'd rather get him for 10 or 12, but if Spurs are looking then we may have to go higher, and if we want him I think he has a chance of being worth it.

The two things to consider are firstly do we want him, and secondly is he worth what is being asked?

On the first question I really like Arbeloa. I do tend to like the solid pro's who do a job for you every week, I even like Kuyt in truth it's more those who try and stifle any sensible debate him from a football sense who do my head in. Arby is a solid a pro as you could get, and he is a good player too. Do we desperately need to replace him? No. Are there other spots in the team in more urgent need of surgery? Yes. So why then?

Well (little sigh here because I know which way this is going to go), because we play Dirk on the right side of midfield, and because that has a huge impact upon the flow of the team, the cohesion, the rhythm etc etc, we probably do need a footballing full back who can compensate. Arby would be peachy playing behind Ronaldo, but behind Kuyt there is a sense that we are effectively lending the bus parkers the keys to the wheel clamps which they have stationed down the right side. Kuyt is obviously going to play for the forseeable, so perhaps something has to give and unfortunately, it may be Arby.

Now Johnson, what are you paying top dollar for? Well I was talking aboutn Insua a few days back and said that I doubted he had the tools to become an absolute World beater, and that I felt he was more likely to be a solid full back. What I meant by that is that he hasn't shown me so far that he's likely to a Danny Alves, a Patrice Evra or a Martin Skyrtel (just kidding). He's doesn't look massively pacey or tricky, obviously isn't going to arrive back post and head it in, nor does he have the cultured implement of an Aurelio. Good solid little player he is though.

In the case of Johnson though, although he is unproven on the biggest stages, he has all the clubs in the bag. He has pace, power, skill, can shoot and is decent in the air. Clearly going forward he has enough going for him to cause absolutely anybody a problem, whilst he is easily a good enough athlete to be able to bmb up and down the line all day long. He has a triack, knocks a great ball in and looks to me to be making that transition from being a boy into a man. By that, I mean that when it kickjs off he is big enough and daft enough to be in there dragging players apart, and hard enough to say to their hard ones "fecking behave yourself". Think the transition for Rio Ferdinand from gangly centre half who was prone to mistakes, into a proiper big fella who can handle himself as he is now. It happens for fellas in their mid twenties, and Johnson looks to me like he has matured both as a footballer and a person.

I think in a good team (of which we are one) he will score goals. I think he will make goals, cause goals, win matches. I think against the bus parkers, when it's locked up at 1-0 he's good enough to occasionally kick the doors in and get you the three points, a little like Evra does for Man UItd occasionally. He'll get beyond the play, he'll link it up, and he'll make Kuyts contribution more than the sum of it's parts.

Defensively he's good enough. His pace and power gets him out of most tight spots, and he's decent in the air. People saying he's worth 8 million and the like are dreaming I think. We paid 7 million for Dossena, who while being a bad example because he's really not very good, was supposed to be an attacking fullback. Well comparing Dossena even if he was very good to Glen Johnson is like comparing a Spitfire to an F16. If we want him we'll have to pay big money for him, and my gues sis that whoever does is taking a gamble, but one which may pay off big style.

A lot of decent points Mick.  But can he defend?

For my money he can't, and worryingly has mistakes in him.  Do you think even 10-12 million is reasonable for a full back who is suspect at defending??

Good points both of you and i'd agree with most of it. great going forward, has definitely developed physically and could do a real job for us at home against the likes of Wigan, Hull, Bolton etc. Can he defend? Has he improved this aspect enough to play for a big club again? Hard to say and I don't think we'd get the answer until he arrived and played a few big games at the club.

The problem I would have with signing him is the timing, he's just signed a new contract, Pompey have a new owner with a big wallet and he's just had the best season of is career (Robbie Keane anyone?). Add all that up and you've got one hell of a transfer fee and then he looks a bit of a gamble. My feeling is we'd have to pay £13-15 million to get him. 12 months ago it would have been £5-6 million. We do it every year.

Not saying i wouldn't want him, I think he'd be a good signing, I watched a couple of games at Fratton this year and he looked very good (as did the young lad El Hadj on the left) but you can bet the club will have their pants pulled down to get him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 am

On the plus side with Johnson he would only be turning 25 as the season starts, he seems to have been around forever. But we do need to be certain that those pieces of the jigsaw we need are going to be an improvement. Gerrard want a Torres quality signing, I agree for both LWF and RB. But we may simply get robbed blind if we persist in signing from Premiership/English clubs, I mean what is this league coming to :-

Johnson £12m+
Barry £18m (last summer) or £12m (this summer)
Given £8.5m
Bellamy £14m
Keane £20.3m
Santa Cruz £18m
Milner £12m
Palacios £14m
Berbatov £32m
Bentley £15m
Downing £12m-£15m
Reo-Coker £8.5m
Yakubu £11.25m
Andy Johnson £10.5m
Wright-Phillips £21m
Anton Ferdinand £8m
Kaboul £7m
Collocini £15m

Would you get a top four quality side out of that lot?!? (about £250m 'worth' of players) I think that is probably the kind of shopping list Hughes has in mind. citeh signing Drogba would put them all into perspective if £15m is remotely accurate. I am relieved we didn't get Barry, will be too if Downing goes to spudz or citeh. I read yesterday he was "golden shot" winner, most shots (60?) without a goal or something like that. Mascherano made the list with something like 22 (times he wasted possession)

While it may possibly have a greater element of risk, signing from overseas is more likely to land you a quality player at the right price (as opposed to at an over-inflated price). At worst you might land a flop but not pay over the odds so minimise your losses. There are no guarantees no matter where you sign from, but to play "lucky dip" at the £5 a time stall instead of at the £3 a time stall assumes that the prizes are bigger/better in the £5 stall. You might just as easily pluck a red herring out of either.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Arbeloa is better than Johnson will ever be. We need a back-up, not a replacement.

Our fullbacks are strong - we don't need change.

You must be joking. Arbeloa is ok at best. He is decent going forward but defensivly he is too carefree at times. Not aggressive enough.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Owzat wrote:On the plus side with Johnson he would only be turning 25 as the season starts, he seems to have been around forever. But we do need to be certain that those pieces of the jigsaw we need are going to be an improvement. Gerrard want a Torres quality signing, I agree for both LWF and RB. But we may simply get robbed blind if we persist in signing from Premiership/English clubs, I mean what is this league coming to :-

Johnson £12m+
Barry £18m (last summer) or £12m (this summer)
Given £8.5m
Bellamy £14m
Keane £20.3m
Santa Cruz £18m
Milner £12m
Palacios £14m
Berbatov £32m
Bentley £15m
Downing £12m-£15m
Reo-Coker £8.5m
Yakubu £11.25m
Andy Johnson £10.5m
Wright-Phillips £21m
Anton Ferdinand £8m
Kaboul £7m
Collocini £15m

Would you get a top four quality side out of that lot?!? (about £250m 'worth' of players) I think that is probably the kind of shopping list Hughes has in mind. citeh signing Drogba would put them all into perspective if £15m is remotely accurate. I am relieved we didn't get Barry, will be too if Downing goes to spudz or citeh. I read yesterday he was "golden shot" winner, most shots (60?) without a goal or something like that. Mascherano made the list with something like 22 (times he wasted possession)

While it may possibly have a greater element of risk, signing from overseas is more likely to land you a quality player at the right price (as opposed to at an over-inflated price). At worst you might land a flop but not pay over the odds so minimise your losses. There are no guarantees no matter where you sign from, but to play "lucky dip" at the £5 a time stall instead of at the £3 a time stall assumes that the prizes are bigger/better in the £5 stall. You might just as easily pluck a red herring out of either.

I agree, players in this league cost a fortune and we have a habbit of buying them when their demand is highest.

I still like Johnson mind...
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Arbeloa is better than Johnson will ever be. We need a back-up, not a replacement.

Our fullbacks are strong - we don't need change.

They're not strong enough mate. Arby would be fine IF we had Roberto Carlos playing on the left AND Ronaldo playing right-mid. Unfortunately we have Aurelio and Kuyt.

As well as Dirk has played this season, him and Arby offer virtually no threat in terms of taking a player on. Our attacks down the right often break down because we have a RB and RM who like to play it a little safe. Both players like to check back and play the ball inside (much as Carra does at FB) when you're screaming at them to take it on. Dirk loves to cut inside when he plays on the right (which is fine, this is where he does his best work) and this is when you want your RB to occupy the space that is left. Arby does his best, he gets forward (this season more than ever) but he lascks the dynamism and confidence to really go at his marker. Sometimes you only have to beat one player to unlock a tight defence, it forces another to leave his marker and press the ball and suddenly you have some space to play in. i've got no doubts Arby is a better defender than Johnson, he's a very solid full-back in my book but we need more from the position if we're gonna to take that next step.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:33 pm

If this deal happens we could well knock the price down significantly. Portsmouth still owe us money for Crouch.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:55 pm

Why do you have to take a player on to create chances ? Pennant and lennon etc take players on but dont create anymore than what kuyt does out right ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:14 pm

Watching Lemon last time England was on the box, he beat his man and went on the outside all the time. His crossing was not great, Rooney skied his shot from one pull-back but I'd have hoped for more.

I agree, you don't need to beat your man, Beckham is rated by some/many/the English media as the best set-piece taker, crosser, and cross-dresser since sliced bread, but when did he ever beat his man?!?!? Accuracy of cross is the main thing, Kuyt must be doing something right to have provided so many assists and added a lot of goals to it. Lemon, Peasant, Drowning and any others may be "pleasing on the eye" and fulfil some people's idea of a "proper winger" but give me end product any day and every day.

If anything I think the cross from the by-line creates a poor angle, better for the defender than the attacker and has to be pulled back far enough so it isn't too close to the keeper. I prefer those little diagonal far post crosses of Kuyt's, nice for Torres or the LWF to get on the end of or put out for a corner by the defender. And I am also a big fan of the low pull-back cross, assuming the area isn't too congested. Those can be a bit harder to get a good strike on for a right-footer mind (coming from the right), ideal from the left to a right-footer.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:26 pm

GYBS wrote:Why do you have to take a player on to create chances ? Pennant and lennon etc take players on but dont create anymore than what kuyt does out right ?

You dont have to beat a man to create chances, Beckham and Stevie G are masters at whipping in crosses in behind the full back.

But if you can do a bit of both, or have someone who goes past people then it will make it alot harder for a defender.
Less predictable is what i mean.

Think Scotts post was spot on, its ok having Kuyt grafting his erse off and then cutting inside if the full back fills the gap and gets beyond him.
But Arbeloa doesnt do this enough.

I've said all along i like Arbeloa and would keep him as he can cover the left as well but Johnson would be an improvement going forwards for reasons stated already by Scott and a few others.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

I meant to add that an overlapping full-back for me is more effective way of crossing if you want a cross from the by-line. In some ways I've often wondered if we might be better playing three CBs at the back, but with the set up of Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres and Riera/Benayoun in attacking areas, I'm not sure how we'd cover the full-back areas - or at least if we'd have adequate cover since the wider CB would cover but it would leave us one man short on the far post at the very least. WBs might work, but could you play three CBs, two WBs, two WFs, Gerrard and Torres? That would leave only one other outfield position (basically a CB in for Mascherano/Alonso) and might be a bit ungainly. It will certainly be interesting to see who Rafa buys, which CB pairing Rafa goes for and what role Benayoun plays.

Kuyt can also be effective when he drifts inside and across to the left, perhaps a little more his natural instinct than trying to get wide and cross. I'm not sure we have so many good headers of the ball that we really want that many high crosses, Kuyt is one of our better headers of the ball in the attacking areas (and defensively)
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:36 pm

GYBS wrote:Why do you have to take a player on to create chances ? Pennant and lennon etc take players on but dont create anymore than what kuyt does out right ?

You don't have to beat a man but it certainly helps. If i'm the LB or LM charged with looking after Arbeloa and Kuyt I pretty much know that if I show them inside or play off them a touch, the chances are they will simply play keep ball with an easy pass to a team mate inside (or backwards). I don't particularly have to be on my toes, I don't think either of them can do me for pace, that threat isn't really there and neither player really takes it on. If everyone else on my team is doing their job I fancy our chances, especially if the centre-halfs can deny Torres space and keep Gerrard playing with his back to goal.

We have struggled all season against well organised defences who sit deep, get behind the ball and deny space for Torres. If we had a big man in the mould of Crouch (or whoever) to bring on then at least you have the option of getting the ball wide and putting crosses into the box or alternatively long balls directly into the box. At least then the opposition might come out and play a little higher because the last thing you want sitting in your penalty as crosses come in is a 6'2+ striker. Unfortunately we don't have that option anymore but we could certainly use one. We can talk about Beckham but come on, this guy is an EXTRAordinary crosser of the ball, he is (was) that good he didn't need to beat a man, add to this the fact he is a fantastic passer of the ball and a very intelligent footballer. I also agree the angle of the cross is not so good from the byline but if you watch the likes of Arsenal (especially) and even United these days you will see many of their goals are scored from simple cut-backs from players who have cut in from the flank AFTER beating a man. It's not the be all and end all, not saying it is but we deffo need some more of it. When Gerrard and Torres are off day we can be very predicatable at Anfield (especially).
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:46 pm

So how come teams havent been able to stop them for most of the season then if they are so predictable ? scored more goals than anyone else this season ? we had crouch before and lumped many balls into the box but he didnt score from many of them from what i can remember ? Pennant went past defenders lots and then couldnt put in a decent cross same with lennon and young and others . Have seen kuyt and arbeloa both go on the outside and past fullbacks and put crosses in we score from also playing it early as well which we score from , seen them pass the ball round the fullback from when we score from - I would rather have someone like kuyt and his productivity and end product than lennon etc whose end product is poor in comparison
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:57 pm

GYBS wrote:So how come teams havent been able to stop them for most of the season then if they are so predictable ? scored more goals than anyone else this season ? we had crouch before and lumped many balls into the box but he didnt score from many of them from what i can remember ? Pennant went past defenders lots and then couldnt put in a decent cross same with lennon and young and others . Have seen kuyt and arbeloa both go on the outside and past fullbacks and put crosses in we score from also playing it early as well which we score from , seen them pass the ball round the fullback from when we score from - I would rather have someone like kuyt and his productivity and end product than lennon etc whose end product is poor in comparison

Yes we've scored a hatful this season and played some lovely football to boot, there's no denying BUT (and it's a big but) it wasn't enough was it? I know we got close but it wasn't quite good enough. I know Kuyt's season looks quite impressive when you look at the stats, he was on fire the last 3 months but lets not forget some pretty dismal form prior to that. There's no guarantee which Kuyt is gonna turn up in August. Same goes for Arbeloa, he showed some good form and set up a couple of goals (I can remember the cross for an Alonso header) but i'm sure (in fact, convinced) his lack of attacking prowess was one of several factors that cause us to draw 11 games this season. I'm not suggesting signing Lennon, far from it, he'd be another 'buy the form player of the premiership when he was worth just a few million a couple of months ago' signing. I'm happy with Kuyt playing inside-right but i'd be far happier if we'd had someone with Johnson attacking instincts and talents in support.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Right im with you now - yes agree a bit more attacking wise from the full back would help us out a lot more as opposed to it being kuyt who needs replacing .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:17 pm

GYBS wrote:we had crouch before and lumped many balls into the box but he didnt score from many of them from what i can remember ?

Crouch is not that good in the air, can't jump which is why he gets a lot of fouls given against him, and can't generate any power in his headers, but does have a reasonable guiding header (like the FA Cup winning header against the mancs) He's better on the ground, but because he's 19' 3.5" then people automatically go long/high. He's relatively easy to defend against, no pace or great ability to turn. Give him space and he's able to hit the ball sweetly, I'm sure I've said on here before he can connect with the ball so sweetly but unfortunately doesn't often enough to make a great striker.

Maybe if his legs were shorter he'd be twice the player he is, being tall doesn't have that many advantages in most sports.
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion