Glen johnson at left back..... - A one off, or the plan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 am

Betfair player special; G Johnson to play at left back during 09/10 season:
Yes: 1.12
No:  8

:oh:
LFC2007

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 am

i am guessing rafa knew he was going to do this a week ago when he looked at who would be in switzerland, and thus the training at LB so Johnson would look better on his debut. Darby was never too impressive at LB in the reserves, and asking Degen to play is enough of a challenge, so Johnson was the best choice to play the 2nd half at left back.  seemed like rafa wanted both of his XIs to be a mixture of youth and experience.
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am

:laugh:
first pre season game and contraversy starts already  :laugh:
Last edited by GYBS on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:16 am

Topic of the thread: the possibility of playing Johnson LB and whether that's madness.

I don't think the fellow fans that have allergy to players playing another position have many reasons to worry. Rafa has shown as of late than when we have all players available and not a crowded game agenda he'll use the best starting eleven.

Of course that doesn't mean Rafa doesn't test options as football present problems through out the season and the possibility of Aurelio being injured or Insua not being available are there and when it happens you have to have an option. If that happens Glen Johnson is the only option to cover LB effectively. Note that that's not something new, we also saw Arbeloa playing effectively in LB a couple of seasons ago at the start of the season several games in a row. For me it would be madness if Rafa suddenly decided Johnson is going to be our new LB. But it's not madness for me if he uses him there because injuries force him to do so.

So no, I don't think there's anything to worry about Johnson, and if he eventually plays in LB it will be because there's not another option. Normally a RB will be able to switch to that position with no problem, provided he has not a dead left foot, and Johnson seemed indeed showed he had not problems to play the position. Promising, I had never paid much attention to him. It was the first game of the preseason and the only point of these games is to get minutes and make the tests that you wouldn't make during the season unless it's necessary.

I liked the attitude of Insua yesterday despite the mistakes, he seemed to want to prove that he's up to it if Aurelio isn't available (BTW have we sold Dossena?). He lacked intensity in a couple of actions in the first half, but I don't think mistakes are something to be very aware of the first game of the preseason.

As for the mates who tell Mick about controversy in the first game, I think he just misses the league as we all do and he did a pre-season debate with a bit of healthy football wind up. No need to get nervous.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am

Good post that Sabre and you have the jist of my point exactly. It does get tiring saying it every single time you ask a question/start a topic/say just about anything, but it wasn't a dig at the manager, nor was it negative. I simply made a topic by asking a question, namely was it a one off or is it something which rafa has in mind on a semi permanent basis now Aurelio is injured and we have established beyond all doubt that Dossena isn't up to it.

It's not "controversial" in the least I don't think, it was simply a chance to get back to talking about football after seemingly weeks of talking b0ll0cks about b0ll0cks. Still, can't please everyone I suppose.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:53 am

The absence of Fabio Aurelio and Andrea Dossena meant Johnson filled in at left-back in our first pre-season friendly.

It is a position he has played before and the new boy is only too happy to adapt.

"I have played there before, though not recently. But I've been training there for the last few days and I quite enjoy it," he said.

Link

See, big fuss over nothing :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:14 am

I dont think any of us ever know what Rafa is thinking when he plays players out of position but I'm going to have a guess on what he's thinking here. I reckon he used this game to get a look at Darby at RB while giving Jonno (is that allowed :D ) some playing time for the club.

it may also be trying to sort cover while we look light so he may end up playing there until the appropriate players return from injury, then he will become our first choice RB.

I really dont think he will remain LB tho
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ElNino9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 pm

Emiliano Insua?
ElNino9

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

yes but after Insua there's little cover in that position
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby ElNino9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:58 pm

Steven Irwin? Christopher Buchtmann? Chris Mavinga? Alex Kacaniklic?
ElNino9

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:46 pm

Agger is probably capable of playing in that position too although Insua should be 1st choice this season.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ElNino9 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Arbeloa can play at LB too.
ElNino9

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Its simple he's playing left back till arbeloa gets back with aurelio injured i'm sure rafa has said to arbeloa with johnson being here it does not mean he's going to be benched but might be a regular on the left this season .Johnson played well at left back as well , the lad has really come on leaps and bounds since his chelsea days
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:21 pm

ElNino9 wrote:Steven Irwin? Christopher Buchtmann? Chris Mavinga? Alex Kacaniklic?

Irwin is right sided and not really that talented, Kacaniklic is a winger, Butchmann might move to the wing.  And they are all tooooooooo young and inexperienced anyway.  Who knows how good Mavinga is.
JoeTerp

Postby tubby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:32 pm

Insua should start and either Doss or Aurelio can be backup. I trust Aurelio more in that position than Dossena however Fabio is so injury prone who knows what could happen.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion