GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:15 pm

destro wrote:They are skint, they have no sponsorship for next season, their so called saviour Thaksin Shinawatra has been told by the Premier League that he has no chance of being involved in a takeover, go in hard now, tell them we want Johnson or the remaining money for Crouch right now ! :D

But haven't they been takenover pompey that is ? Although that method would prove effective , i doubt that rafa will resort to those methods and beside i'm sure it has been legally agreeded that the money is to be paid over a certain period of time
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:16 pm

WOW this could happen in the next few hours  :Oo:

Arby must have told Rafa he wants to leave there is noway one would want to be second fiddle to the other.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:18 pm

Good riddance to arbeloa anyway
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:21 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
destro wrote:They are skint, they have no sponsorship for next season, their so called saviour Thaksin Shinawatra has been told by the Premier League that he has no chance of being involved in a takeover, go in hard now, tell them we want Johnson or the remaining money for Crouch right now ! :D

But haven't they been takenover pompey that is ? Although that method would prove effective , i doubt that rafa will resort to those methods and beside i'm sure it has been legally agreeded that the money is to be paid over a certain period of time

Just reading about them now, they are in the middle of a takeover with due dilligance expected to be completed next month by Dr Sulaiman Al Fahim  (some property billionaire).

But the Premier League want confirmation that Shinawatra is in no way involved.

Portsmouth released a statement this morning which read: "Portsmouth FC would like to confirm that neither Dr Thaksin Shinawatra nor his advisor Pairoj Piempongsat are involved in funding Dr Sulaiman al Fahim's bid to buy the club.

"A representative for Dr Sulaiman al Fahim met with Premier League officials last week and confirmed that he is the sole purchaser of the football club and this will be verified by his lawyers.

The statement concluded: "The due diligence process for the purchase of the club is continuing well and should be completed by early July."
destro

Postby Owz@t » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:23 pm

Ciggy wrote:WOW this could happen in the next few hours  :Oo:

Arby must have told Rafa he wants to leave there is noway one would want to be second fiddle to the other.

Therein lies the difficulty when signing new players. Would Eto'o want to be second fiddle to Torres or vice versa? If a player is happy to be second fiddle they probably ain't worth having as first fiddle
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! My Owzat account is locked by a seeming flaw in the board system. I changed my e-mail address, but that left me needing to be re-activated and therefore powerless to even post or notify a mod.
Owz@t

Postby destro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:24 pm

Any idea where he is going ? My mate has just said Real Madrid are after him but he is a United fan so I thought it was bollox
destro

Postby destro » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:27 pm

Portsmouth executive chairman Peter Storrie has admitted that the club have received a bid for Glen Johnson and that a deal could be concluded imminently.

The England international has enjoyed the best season of his career to date in starring for Portsmouth and in the process has established himself as Fabio Capello's first choice at right-back.

Former club Chelsea, who Johnson left to join Portsmouth, have been credited with making a bid, as have Manchester City and Liverpool, who in some reports are thought to be the front-runners for his signature.

Storrie admits he will not block the player from joining a club that will enable him to play in the UEFA Champions League next season.

He told Sky Sports News: "Glen has had a fantastic season for us and I think he is the best right-back in the country at the moment.

"I've know Glen a long while, from my West Ham days. When I re-signed him (at Portsmouth) we talked things over.

"He said, 'If one of the big four come in with Champions League football, would you stand in my way?'

"I told him I couldn't do that. Providing the deal is right for Portsmouth and Glen then we will look to try and do something in the right way.

"It is very hard to try and hold people back when they have a chance to play in the Champions League. I accept that."

When asked if an offer of between £15million and £18million had been tabled, Storrie replied: "You may not be a million miles away from the mark."

Storrie went on to concede that a deal could be struck imminently, adding: "I wouldn't think it would be too long."
destro

Postby Owz@t » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:46 pm

I hope Rafa tried to water the fee down a bit by offering say Voronin, Itandje and Degen in part exchange.
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring! My Owzat account is locked by a seeming flaw in the board system. I changed my e-mail address, but that left me needing to be re-activated and therefore powerless to even post or notify a mod.
Owz@t

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:50 pm

I don't rate Johnson very highly, but he is probably the best English right back we could get........ I would prefer we shop abroad on this occasion though. The price is a fkn joke I would be hesitant paying £8million for him.

I think we may have another Pennent on our hands if we sign him  :(
account deleted by request

Postby Owz@t » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:56 pm

s@int wrote:I don't rate Johnson very highly, but he is probably the best English right back we could get........ I would prefer we shop abroad on this occasion though. The price is a fkn joke I would be hesitant paying £8million for him.

I think we may have another Pennent on our hands if we sign him  :(

Good old Pennant, flying the flag for poor British transfers
Owz@t

Postby Agger's Sleeve » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:04 pm

Toffeehater wrote:Good riddance to arbeloa anyway

tad harsh?
Agger's Sleeve

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Maybe it's Dossena who'll be off Cigs ?

Arby can play left or right.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby mrt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 pm

Heard Graham Hunter say he reckons Rafa wants to bring players in before letting any (Xabi) go.  Hope he's wrong.
mrt

Postby tubby » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:26 pm

Johnson will just be playing 2nd fiddle to Bosingwa at Chelsea. Hope he comes to us although nothing we can do about the inflated price. What are we going to do, just pull out of the race and then end up with another Arbeloa?

I have a feeling Man City are going to put in a ridiculous bid of maybe 25Mil. I hope the lad isn't swayed by money alone.
Last edited by tubby on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mrt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:28 pm

Would rather keep hold of 17m and see a bit more of young Darby.  Good strong tackler, keeps things simple.  I'd take that for now and see how he develops.  We can't keep complaining about a lack of local players if we're not prepared to give them a chance.  I like Johnson as a player but not at the price reported.
mrt

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion