GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fauxy » Fri May 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I think we should buy Glen Johnson so even if he isnt as good as we all thought we still have some cover for when Arbeloa gets injured.

Im a right back myself and I always watch Johnson and he just doesnt seem like a right back, more like a right winger or something, still someone to go for though.
Fauxy

Postby RedRoots » Fri May 22, 2009 7:44 pm

GYBS wrote:I would take lahm as first choice over anyone - his stock has gone down a bit lately but still one of the best fullbacks for me and has the ability to play either side .

Lahm was found out in the last Euro's, he great going forward but his defensive side can be dodgy.
RedRoots

Postby Effes » Fri May 22, 2009 8:16 pm

£12M is a bit steep - you always get ripped off when you're buying English players.

I think Micah Richards is a decent right back, and he can cover at CB too.

If he was the same price I'd go for him.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Just an after thought - I was thinking what cheaper alternatives there might be out there,
especially abroad.

I dont watch much foreign footy, but I always thought Miguel was a brilliant attacking right back.

How has he been doing at Valencia? Sabre, any thoughts mate?
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alex G. » Fri May 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Effes wrote:£12M is a bit steep - you always get ripped off when you're buying English players.

I think Micah Richards is a decent right back, and he can cover at CB too.

If he was the same price I'd go for him.

Micah richards? No please, overrated.
Alex G.
LFC Super Member

Postby Rockthekop » Sat May 23, 2009 10:45 am

And to think Rafa refused to pay 10-12M for Alves. We would have had the RB position sorted with a top player.  Huge mistake letting that opportunity go.  :no

Glen Johnson would be a good option but he probably won't be cheap like most English players.
Rockthekop

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I don't think Johnson is good enough to warrant such a fee. In fact I wouldn't be thinking of paying more than 7 or 8 million for him. Not a great defender by any stretch of the imagination and even limited going forward. Better than Arbeloa....... probably, but not by much. I hoped for better and at that price I think we could get better.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sat May 23, 2009 12:53 pm

I think he's better than you do S@int so it'll be interesting to see whereever he goes who's calling it right. He may not be the best ever defender, but he isn't bad and in fairness the likes of Alves aren't exactly World beaters in that dept either. He's a big lad though who is decent in the air, he's strong and quick, and most of his defensive frailty comes from a tendency to dream a bit during games.

Going forward though he comes to life. He's got a trick, backs himself to get up and down the line, and knocks a decent ball in. Though I suspect he's hardly ever socred a goal, my guess is he probably could as his game matures. My one reservation about Liverpool signing him is that he seems very much a "Landoner" who no doubt flies up the A3 after training so he can hang out in his favourite spots. In that respect he's not unlike his teammate Sean Davis who despite playing for Pompey used to spend more time in Wimbledon Village than me it seemed (he's got a pad there in fairness to him). I just wonder sometimes about these died in the wool Southerners, not that mnay go ooop North and settle (cue people reeling off a list of blokes who have so I remain open to being corrected). Rio Ferdinand would be an obvious example of one who did, while Paul Walsh also made a good go at it. There are many though for whom Alyssium or whatever the feck it's called would prove to be too big a draw to give up. Johnson may be in this category, I don't know.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat May 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Effes wrote:Just an after thought - I was thinking what cheaper alternatives there might be out there,
especially abroad.

I dont watch much foreign footy, but I always thought Miguel was a brilliant attacking right back.

How has he been doing at Valencia? Sabre, any thoughts mate?

he's quality, but has had a poor couple of years. However he would be cheap as Valencia are broke and he hasnt performed for a while, i think he would be a very good signing, reckon we could get him for about £5m.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Sat May 23, 2009 2:09 pm

bigmick wrote:I think he's potentially the best right back in the Premiership, and I've always thought he could play right midfield as well. In actual fact, he's always looked to me like a right midfielder who's playing right back in all honesty so he may come in very useful. I've advocated his signing for a long time now, and I think we should properly go get him. I reckon that at 25 years of age, he is cheap at 12 million quid and I think we'll have to go higher to secure his signature. If I was in charge of the purse strings I'd go no higher than 17 mill for him, but upto that figure I'd look to see off any rivals.

Have to agree Mick ,the lad looks class and 12 million would be a steal
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat May 23, 2009 5:05 pm

The only thing I could see stopping us getting him is the rumor that he wants to move back to London.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dafurf » Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Johnston would be a great addition to the squad.
When is this English quota thing gonna kick in???

we seem to be interested in Johnston,Lennon and Barry.Does the quota thing make a difference.
Last edited by dafurf on Sat May 23, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Rafa I trust.
dafurf

Postby metalhead » Sat May 23, 2009 8:30 pm

s@int wrote:I don't think Johnson is good enough to warrant such a fee. In fact I wouldn't be thinking of paying more than 7 or 8 million for him. Not a great defender by any stretch of the imagination and even limited going forward. Better than Arbeloa....... probably, but not by much. I hoped for better and at that price I think we could get better.

7m or 8m is a good price for johnson, I don't think he is limited going forward, I think one of his main attributes is going forward and over lapping. As a footballer, he is better than arbeloa and he likes to tackle as well. However, I agree, he isn't exceptional in defence and can be a liability in the air, but he can offer as an attacking threat and a bit of creativity.

Micah Richards as a right back would be great.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 pm

bigmick wrote:If I was in charge of the purse strings I'd go no higher than 17 mill for him, but upto that figure I'd look to see off any rivals.

Mick if we go anywhere close to 17 mil for this guy Rafa needs a slapping.  I understand everyone has their own opinion of Johnson and that's fair enough, but I really don't rate the lad at all.  I think he can look good, even excellent at times for Portsmouth (as he also did for West Ham), but as soon as he's put in a team like Chelsea or England with all the expectations and pressure he freezes and doesn't perform well.

You could argue that he has matured as a player since his Chelsea days and that may be the case.  But I still think he's a liability defensively, even at Portsmouth where he is getting rave reviews, and I think his mistakes would be highlighted much more if he was at a big club.

I hear these arguments that Johnson is an England international.  The fact is that if Arbeloa was English he'd probably be first choice right back at the moment given Wes Brown's injuries - it's not exactly England's strongest position either.
Last edited by JC_81 on Sat May 23, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Feugo » Sat May 23, 2009 9:04 pm

come on we need more england player :3
En taro tassadar!

ImageImage
Feugo

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion