Glen johnson at left back..... - A one off, or the plan?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm obviously going to have to rely on others for match reports of pre-season games, but it appears that although Johnson was fairly impressive on his debut  :buttrock he made it at left back.

Now we know that as Aurelio has tripped over a Tonka toy we are going to be light at left back for a month or two (although I don't mean to diss the Doss, he is utter garbage so I think we are going to be light) so what is the plan? Are we really going to buy Englands current number one right back and play him at left back, or was it just a bit of pre-season styling, a kind of "welcome to my World" from Rafa?

If he is going to play at left back, what do people think? Craziness, or creative thinking?

Can anybody guess which statement I think is correct  ???
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

I highly doubt it was the plan but he has to prepare for no Aurelio for at least a month I'm sure he won't forget how to play at RB anytime soon so glad to see he did well. :D

That said I'm sure he will play there on and off even when Aurelio is healthy, Aurelio can't play back to back games he needs a week off in between all the time or he'll get hurt! :angry:
Zidane

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Glen Johnson looked  equally adept at left back as he does right back ,and if he plays this impressively at left back ,then I simply cant envisage how accomplished he will be in his original position ,but I cant wait to find out .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Who cares? He will be our No1 right back once the season gets underway.

Really no need for a topic about it, ecspecially if you didnt see the match, nearly scored aswell playing left back.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 pm

He did do well there but to be fair to me it seemed like he would do well anywhere.
So it wasnt like we found a player that can play a different position more like a player that would fare well in most positions.
thats what i really liked about Johnson, the fact that he was probably the best player on the pitch out of position.
hopefuly that wont happen too mush, although with Rafa you never know.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm obviously going to have to rely on others for match reports of pre-season games, but it appears that although Johnson was fairly impressive on his debut  :buttrock he made it at left back.

Now we know that as Aurelio has tripped over a Tonka toy we are going to be light at left back for a month or two (although I don't mean to diss the Doss, he is utter garbage so I think we are going to be light) so what is the plan? Are we really going to buy Englands current number one right back and play him at left back, or was it just a bit of pre-season styling, a kind of "welcome to my World" from Rafa?

If he is going to play at left back, what do people think? Craziness, or creative thinking?

Mick it was the first pre season friendly of a few this year.The first one mate . Don't get your knickers in a twist just yet . Actuallly he played pretty well at left back anyway .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:49 pm

bigmick wrote:I'm obviously going to have to rely on others for match reports of pre-season games, but it appears that although Johnson was fairly impressive on his debut  :buttrock he made it at left back.

To be fair mate, Degan was fit for this game, so I think Rafa had to play him. As I can't see that happening too many more times, I don't think Johnson need worry too much.

I thought Johnson was very much as expected (even at Left back), good going forward but a little suspect defensively, although again the whole Liverpool defence looked suspect tonight.

I only saw the second half so all my comments are based on this.
account deleted by request

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 pm

The only player that shined in defence was Skyrtel the rest looked W*nk even Carra. At times I thought Alaya *sp* was Xabi.
Maybe we can transform him to a DM. :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Ciggy wrote:The only player that shined in defence was Skyrtel the rest looked W*nk even Carra. At times I thought Alaya *sp* was Xabi.

Thought young martin kelly did well alongside skrtel lynds.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:00 am

he got caught out of possession atleast twice in the 2nd half and they nearly scored in the 2nd one...
was very impressive going forward and linking up with the midfielders ...
Cant see him playing anywhere but RB when the season starts ...
We quite simply dont have any other rightbacks who can do a job at premier league level especially if Arbeloa goes... for LB we have Insua and Doss who are better imo than Darby and Degen...
If Arbeloa stays its a no brainer.. Johnson at RB with Arby down the left...

Anyways i think its a one off.. just one of those days when we had 3 RBs and only 1 fit and ready LB and since Rafa wanted to play all 4 at some point the only option was to play Johnson down the left since the other 3 arent even that good at RB nevermind LB ...

:;):

think you're just paranoid in thinking Rafa would play a player out of position just for the sake of it BigMick :)
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:02 am

Igor Zidane wrote:
Ciggy wrote:The only player that shined in defence was Skyrtel the rest looked W*nk even Carra. At times I thought Alaya *sp* was Xabi.

He did.

Cracker of  tackle midway through the second half an all.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 am

Ciggy wrote:Who cares? He will be our No1 right back once the season gets underway.

Really no need for a topic about it, ecspecially if you didnt see the match, nearly scored aswell playing left back.

Who cares? Well me Lynds, hence the question. "He will be our number one rightback once the season gets underway", well I hope you're right. Once again, hence the question.

I merely asked a question, probably BECAUSE I didn't see the game. I did read that he almost scored, which was why I said he was apparently quite impressive and gave him the old buttrock.

Somebody remarked in the match thread that he'd been playing left back in training as well, so I was wondering if people thought we were planning on going into the season with Johnson as first choice LEFT BACK, as opposed to right back. 

Thought a bit of football talk might make a change, but my apologies.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 am

red37 wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:

He did.

Cracker of  tackle midway through the second half an all.

aye he did, just heard the Rafster shout...'empty'

and thats what happened  :D

i was disappointed he came off but thats pre-season.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Ciggy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 am

bigmick wrote: Thought a bit of football talk might make a change, but my apologies.

Positive football talk we need not negative  :)

Hey Ive even heard Rafa plans to play him on the right wing and keep Arby  :;):

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 am

I agree about the not negative, that's why I opened the topic with a question. As for Johnson playing right midfield, I've been saying for three seasons now that he looks to me like a right midfielder who's been playing right back. I am absolutely convinced he would go like a rocket at right midfield. Anyway.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion