GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun May 11, 2014 5:04 pm

I've defended Johnson for quite a while, but even I'll concede that he's been awful this season and the fact his contract has 1 year left makes it all the more puzzling. Surely he knows this is the summer where he earns a new deal or moves on??

Sadly, be it form or personal reasons, he's played rubbish and let us down. Time to move him on...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 11, 2014 7:02 pm

Its a complete enigma why some of the biggest names in football are constantly linked to buying him ...... Do they not watch our games ?

I think based on his performances this season If he manages to somehow board that plane to Brazil then it will only be as a terrorist ,because
lets face it he's done his level best in ensuring our title aspirations would crash and burn.

Its an absolute necessity we rid ourselves of this passenger next season, or we will basically be starting the season hampered with a dead weight.
In fact,if I were to be blunt our Achilles heel in defence this season has been as noticeable to opposing teams as Lampard's  hump.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun May 11, 2014 7:30 pm

To think that I have defended Johnson in the past..........
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun May 11, 2014 7:35 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun May 11, 2014 6:02 pm wrote:Its a complete enigma why some of the biggest names in football are constantly linked to buying him ...... Do they not watch our games ?

I think based on his performances this season If he manages to somehow board that plane to Brazil then it will only be as a terrorist ,because
lets face it he's done his level best in ensuring our title aspirations would crash and burn.

Its an absolute necessity we rid ourselves of this passenger next season, or we will basically be starting the season hampered with a dead weight.
In fact,if I were to be blunt our Achilles heel in defence this season has been as noticeable to opposing teams as Lampard's  hump.

We need to ask ourselves how we stuck to this lad for sooo long...I've been calling for his packing since 2010 at least.....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 am

He couldnt even be used as an impact sub now
I will be absolutely gutted if hes still here in August
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby JC_81 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 pm

I don't rate Johnson anymore.  But that's not to say I never did.

After some indifferent early performances under Benitez (when we were questioning why we'd spent 18 mil on him and let Arbeloa go for a ridiculous 2.5 mil, weakening the RB spot), he steadily improved and was probably one of our top 2-3 performers during Dalglish's return spell up until Rodgers took over.

But his decline over the past 2 seasons has been rapid.  His speed over distance isn't bad, but his acceleration  over the first few yards has just disappeared!  Maybe injuries have played a part too.  He got away with dodgy positioning when he had good recovery pace, but he no longer has it.  He also seems to have lost all confidence in the attacking third, he no longer penetrates and seems to check back every time rather than take the fullback on (probably because he knows he's lost a yard).

There are worse full backs in the league, but for the wages he's reportedly on we could do a lot better.  He should be one of the first out this summer.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 1:03 pm

Johnson has just taken Cissokho's mantle as the target of the boo boys, his performances haven't been great but they haven't been catastrophic either.
For instance he hasn't scored any own goals, he hasn't cost us goals by flapping at crosses, he never got sent off, he never let the ball run under his foot (and then slip over) and he hasn't missed any absolute sitters which other players have all done during this run in.
It's probably the right time for him to move on but some of the criticism has been over the top IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon May 12, 2014 3:03 pm

He'll be gone this summer. He's nearly 30 and only Gerrard and Suarez in the squad earn more in wages. Time for him to move on I think.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:53 pm

I don't think he is a bad player, I just think we need a playing in that spot that can offer more. I think there are times that he has let himself down but in other games he has done great and done some great blocking this year.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon May 12, 2014 4:59 pm

lakes10 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm wrote:I don't think he is a bad player, I just think we need a playing in that spot that can offer more. I think there are times that he has let himself down but in other games he has done great and done some great blocking this year.

He is a terrible player ,no sense of location ,no football brains ,lazy ,overpaid fat prik. Everyone paraded on his side and half of his attempts going forward resulted in a lost ball or just waste.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 12, 2014 6:21 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 12:03 pm wrote:Johnson has just taken Cissokho's mantle as the target of the boo boys, his performances haven't been great but they haven't been catastrophic either.
For instance he hasn't scored any own goals, he hasn't cost us goals by flapping at crosses, he never got sent off, he never let the ball run under his foot (and then slip over) and he hasn't missed any absolute sitters which other players have all done during this run in.
It's probably the right time for him to move on but some of the criticism has been over the top IMO.

However he's cost us with his lethargy ,he's cost us with his inability to intercept any type of cross arriving in our box ,and he's cost us by
hiding behind the fact that a long an inconceivable period of time has elapsed in betwixt vaguely remembering he used to be quite good
and the Kop enjoying a brief glimpse of 'I give a fuck.'
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon May 12, 2014 6:31 pm

You need more than 2 hands to count the amount of times he has given the ball away in the past few matches alone

I am not one to be down on our own players usually but both Glen and Lucas need to find new clubs
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 7:12 pm

cardiff-red » Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm wrote:You need more than 2 hands to count the amount of times he has given the ball away in the past few matches alone

I am not one to be down on our own players usually but both Glen and Lucas need to find new clubs

I think Brendan has to be careful about having a clear out, Luis has spoken about the camaraderie within the squad being a big part of why he decided to sign a new contract and Lucas and Glenn happen to be 2 of his best mates within the squad.
Ayre has already told everyone to batten down the hatches this summer because they know for certain that some of the biggest and richest clubs in the world are going to be pulling out all the stops in an effort to sign Luis.
Selling his best mates might not be the best idea just now.
Besides we'll probably have an awful lot of games to play next season, we went out of both domestic cups pretty early this year but it's not every year that you get drawn away to United and Arsenal in the first couple of rounds.
We are only going to be bringing in 6 players at the very most so it might be worth hanging on to Lucas and Glenn, especially if we are letting the likes of Assaidi, Borini, Alberto, Moses, Coady (maybe even Agger or Skrtel) etc go.
Pointless ending up with an even smaller squad than the one we have now.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 12, 2014 6:12 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Mon May 12, 2014 5:31 pm wrote:You need more than 2 hands to count the amount of times he has given the ball away in the past few matches alone

I think Brendan has to be careful about having a clear out, Luis has spoken about the camaraderie within the squad being a big part of why he decided to sign a new contract and Lucas and Glenn happen to be 2 of his best mates within the squad.
Ayre has already told everyone to batten down the hatches this summer because they know for certain that some of the biggest and richest clubs in the world are going to be pulling out all the stops in an effort to sign Luis.
Selling his best mates might not be the best idea just now.
Besides we'll probably have an awful lot of games to play next season, we went out of both domestic cups pretty early this year but it's not every year that you get drawn away to United and Arsenal in the first couple of rounds.
We are only going to be bringing in 6 players at the very most so it might be worth hanging on to Lucas and Glenn, especially if we are letting the likes of Assaidi, Borini, Alberto, Moses, Coady (maybe even Agger or Skrtel) etc go.
Pointless ending up with an even smaller squad than the one we have now.

Oh so now we are keeping playmates on the team payroll i see....Between Lucas ,Coates and Johnson we could have found Luis a big fat a$$ sweet teddy bear to cuddle with or 12 ,ffs.
Lucas & Johnson should be packed and shipped ,they are no good ,no good leads to losses which leads to very short camaraderie.
But i give you originality for the argument. As to lack of players ,don't worry on every one we release we will bring a new one ,hopefully a much better one.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Glen has been awful. Just flat out awful. I've always really liked him, but this season I don't think he's been any better than Cissokho. Sounds harsh, but we really need to improve on both fullback positions. I'm just not sure BR sees it the same way unfortunately.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion