Agger at left back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Good Yank » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:He isnt a left back - never been a left back and last night just confirmed it more .

I agree.  Agger was terrible last night, another thing that raised an eyebrow with me was Agger playing so soon after the concussion he suffered against Arsenal.  It takes much longer than a week to be right after a concussion.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 pm

He isn't a natrural LB that's for sure but he got very exposed last night and that was mainly down to the way we setup in midfield. We would have been cut open through the middle if Jovanovic hadn't come inside to cover. With another midfielder in there i.e. Poulsen, and Gerrard instead of Ngog presurrising De Jong and Barry, Jovanovic would have been better able to mark Johnsoin and provide cover for Agger.

I actually think he still has a lot of proving to do not just as a LB but as a CB. Ever since he had his back problems he hasn't been the same. He also looks to have lost a fair bit of weight from what I can remember of him a few years ago.
LFC2007

Postby BKrimmel » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:05 am

Agger, Agger, Agger. I like him as a CB, but him as a LB is frustrating. Bottomline, his passing and crossing keep him from being a successful LB. Having said that, can anyone currently on the roster outplay him at LB? There is a scary thought.
The View of Liverpool from an American Supporter
BKrimmel

Postby Zidane » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:26 am

I wonder if his concussion had a big effect on him that match, either way he still shouldn't be at LB but maybe that played a big role in why he was so sh!t.
Zidane

Postby Owzat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:16 am

Yeah, we got stuffed because of Agger's concussion....................!

Does make you wonder how we manage continually to make a mess in the LB position. I know some rave on about Riise as if he was world class and we sold a top player, except he wasn't and we didn't. But frankly what has become of us when we have Riise, then Aurelio, then DOSSENA (£7m then record for a Liverpool defender), Insua and now we're playing a CB at LB, and not for the first time - third consecutive manager to do it. Is it that hard to find a better than average LB who can do a solid job!?!?!?
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt_liverpool » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:38 am

When was the last time we had a decent left back ? (Please don't say Riise)
matt_liverpool

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:42 am

matt_liverpool wrote:When was the last time we had a decent left back ? (Please don't say Riise)

Bjornebye :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby matt_liverpool » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:53 am

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
matt_liverpool wrote:When was the last time we had a decent left back ? (Please don't say Riise)

Bjornebye :D

yeah right..  :D
matt_liverpool

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:57 am

Warnock! ive said it a million times, and i shall say it again, it was a criminal to let him go.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Calum » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:25 pm

Assuming that Konchesky is going to slot into left back, where does this leave Agger? For me, he is our best CB. So who drops out? Skrtel?

BTW, I can't find the Agger thread itself. I must be blind.
Calum

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:30 pm

For the league:

Reina

Johnson   Carragher   Agger   Aurélio

For the Europa League:

Jones

Kelly     Skrtel     Kyrgiakos   Konchesky

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:30 am

I have been saying the same thing, keeping Agger at left back.  I don't think anybody we pay less than 6 to 8 pounds for could do any better.  Him and Aurelio are very similar players to me.  Both are good defenders who, not only like to go up, but are good at at.  Both of them have powerful left feet and we have seen some fantastic shots and runs from both of them.

It's good to have 2.  Play Agger for a while, if one of our CBs get hurt or need a rest, stick Agger there and Aurelio at LB.  If Agger's hurt, put Aurelio and LB and if Aurelio is hurt, then he doesn't play.

we have enough talented backs to adjust.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion