in the new year when erebody is fit why not:
                 Reina
Carra   Skrtel   Agger   Arbeloa
Gerrard  Masch  Alonso   Riera
         Keane       Torres

A solid bunch of footballers I do say.
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:36 pm

Two out of the back four playing out of position ? no thanks mate . carra and agger both stay in the centre for me and arbeloa stays right back - left back its between fabio,insua and dossena .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Effes wrote:Why not? Better than that sh!te we bought for £7M.

I guess someone will type out a good few paragraphs to explain
the science behind why he can't though.

Don't know who's going to post up a couiple of paragraph's Eff, who'd do such a thing  :D

No I've said a couple of times I think it's not only worth a shot, but on the face of it Agger has every chance of being a decent left-back. He's not slow, he's a decent tackler, not bad in the air and can play a bit. Equally, he's not "one of the worst types of footballers in the world, a ball watcher" (Phil Brown-I liked that).

Whether he's about to be World class or not is un likely, but how good would he have to be to be the best we've got? He's got to be fit for more than four games in ten to fit past Aurelio, he has to be able to defend to get past Dossena, while he ought to in the short term at least shpw more than the young Argentinian kid.

I like the idea, but while Skyrtels injured he needs to play centre half.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Bad Bob wrote:While Milan have apparently expressed interest in Agger I've not seen anything that would suggest Rafa would even consider selling him.  Especially considering Skrtel's still not recovered.  So, if I've missed something in the press, kindly post it up.  Otherwise it might be wise not to condemn Rafa for something he's surely not done? ???

How long is left on his contract? I think he can leave for peanuts in the Summer thats why Rafa will accept the Milan offer in Jan if he is not prepared to offer him the wages he wants.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Agger should be paid what he is worth - really rate the guy and he proved his worth in that season when he was fully fit . better than rio or carvahlo in my opinion.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 pm

bavlondon wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:While Milan have apparently expressed interest in Agger I've not seen anything that would suggest Rafa would even consider selling him.  Especially considering Skrtel's still not recovered.  So, if I've missed something in the press, kindly post it up.  Otherwise it might be wise not to condemn Rafa for something he's surely not done? ???

How long is left on his contract? I think he can leave for peanuts in the Summer thats why Rafa will accept the Milan offer in Jan if he is not prepared to offer him the wages he wants.

I thought he had another year to run yet? He's only in his 3rd season at the club and it would be unusual if signed for less than 4 years.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:12 pm

GYBS wrote:Agger should be paid what he is worth - really rate the guy and he proved his worth in that season when he was fully fit . better than rio or carvahlo in my opinion.

I'd batten down the hatches if I was you if your nemesis comes on and reads that. FWIW I don't agree with you either, but he might put it a bit stronger than that  :laugh:

All that said, i think Agger is a really good footballing centre half. I'm not sure he has quite reached the hieghts he did pre-injury though, and to be honest I can't really see why. He seems to be moving just as freely so I don't think it's hindering him, perhaps it's just a mental thing and confidence.

He played his best football when he played regularly alongside Carragher and they formed a very good partnership. Mind you it's not that surprising he isn't quite doing the business at the moment when you look at it that way I suppose.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Think like you say that injury took a massive chunk of confidence out of him cause before that he was one of the best in europe - was outstanding in that season we got to CL final - all the ability is there to be the best just needs to get his confidence back .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Would not like to see him as a left back long term. He lacks mobility and will struggle in one on ones against small, mobile and quick wingers.

Defending as a full back is a very specific art and it’s not only about having the right physical attributes to combat the sort of player you will traditionally come up against. You also need to learn when to hold your position and when to tuck in with your centre backs or come out to meet players.

Playing him there once in a blue moon is one thing, but play him there for a sustained period of time and opposition mangers will format plans to get at him.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:29 pm

GYBS wrote:Two out of the back four playing out of position ? no thanks mate . carra and agger both stay in the centre for me and arbeloa stays right back - left back its between fabio,insua and dossena .

Arbeloa has put in his best performances at the club as a left back and Carra at right back is hardly out of position. No more so than Gerrard as a second striker. He would know what he was doing out there for shore, and I don't give a f.eck if he likes it or not, its what might be neccessary to get the best XI on the pitch (i.e. find a way to leave out Dossena when Aurelio isn't fit)
JoeTerp

Postby GYBS » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:32 pm

JoeTerp wrote:
GYBS wrote:Two out of the back four playing out of position ? no thanks mate . carra and agger both stay in the centre for me and arbeloa stays right back - left back its between fabio,insua and dossena .

Arbeloa has put in his best performances at the club as a left back and Carra at right back is hardly out of position. No more so than Gerrard as a second striker. He would know what he was doing out there for shore, and I don't give a f.eck if he likes it or not, its what might be neccessary to get the best XI on the pitch (i.e. find a way to leave out Dossena when Aurelio isn't fit)

Arbeloa put in a couple of decent games at left back namely against barcelona but this season as been very good and consistent at right back and there is no reason to change him - carra isnt good enough going forw\rd from right back and we have seen that plenty of times in the past - in fact he was better at left back all those years ago but the guy is now one of the best and most commited cbs in the prem and should stay exactly where he is - agger and skittles can both fit in nice and easily next to carra and at left back with have got insua if you really want to get rid of dossena but dossena still gets his chance yet .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:20 am

I wouldnt mind him having a go there, I dont think he lacks mobility, lot more mobile than Carra anyway and he does a good job at RB.
If its between Agger and Dossena surely theres only one winner.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:47 am

I dont think hes a great center back by any stretch of the imagination... his positioning, concentration levels, aerial dominance or lack of...etc etc are average at best... he's a very good footballer however and with the ball at his feet can pick out a pass or even make a direct run to open up spaces... hes not the fastest but hes not what id call slow either...

he'd make one hell of a fullback imo and with Carra, Hyypia and Skrtel already in our books id love to see him given a shot at that leftback spot sometime soon... I said it earlier in some other thread that Agger would most probably be one of those fullbacks who dont overlap the winger on the outside but the inside.. i'v seen him do it a fair few times attacking down the left flank then coming deeper inside to recieve the ball ..
it doesnt bother me one bit, i actually like it . With riera playing down the left flank riera can be the one playing the line dragging fullbacks wide with agger coming deeper to open up spaces for strikers and other midfielders...sort of like wht he did against wigan yesterday...

Dossena, Insua, Aurelio.... i think agger would do a better job... to be honest it wouldnt take much to do that but still...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Quadrophenia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:09 am

Agger is no left back and never likely to be one. He brings the ball out from the back very well, that's not the same as raiding up and down the wing as a full back. He's a centre half and when on song one of the best in the Premiership, on current form Skrtel's return can't come quickly enough because Agger has looked disappointing. He's now finding it difficult to hold down a place ahead of Hyypia (although the Dane should play against Arsenal with their pace unless Benitez sees Sami as a better option of keeping Adebayor quiet) and will find it even more difficult when Skrtel finally does return.

If we get a bid in the region of 12 million plus for our number 5, then I think it'd have to be seriously considered. He's not firing on all cylinders, contract talks are stalling for whatever reason and this may be the best chance to get a huge fee for Agger.
We are the Mods
We are the Mods
We are
We are
We are the Mods
Quadrophenia

Postby aCe' » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:42 am

Quadrophenia wrote:Agger is no left back and never likely to be one. He brings the ball out from the back very well, that's not the same as raiding up and down the wing as a full back. He's a centre half and when on song one of the best in the Premiership, on current form Skrtel's return can't come quickly enough because Agger has looked disappointing. He's now finding it difficult to hold down a place ahead of Hyypia (although the Dane should play against Arsenal with their pace unless Benitez sees Sami as a better option of keeping Adebayor quiet) and will find it even more difficult when Skrtel finally does return.

If we get a bid in the region of 12 million plus for our number 5, then I think it'd have to be seriously considered. He's not firing on all cylinders, contract talks are stalling for whatever reason and this may be the best chance to get a huge fee for Agger.

not all fullbacks "raid down the wing" like A.Cole , Evra and Bosingwa.... sure it helps sometimes :D  but sometimes a good footballing brain helps just as much..  Arbeloa runs the right flank all day long and not taking anything from the lad hes doing ok atm but with very little end product.. Dossena runs up and down aimlessly.... energy isnt everything as many have and still prove...
look at maldini, chivu, puyol to name a few... all great centerbacks who look just as good playing down the side... with his passing, direct play and good crossing and long shots i think he'd be a good shout for leftback.. you only need to look at the players we have there atm to realize that we desperately need to find an alternative.. Aurelio is out and Dossena is sht.. until we can either get a quality rightback and shift Arbeloa back to the left or go out and get a new leftback, we'll quite simply have to sort it out with the players we have at our disposal... i most definetly dont rate Agger as a centerback as highly as most down here do.. i dont think hes anywhere near as good as Ferdinand, Vidic and the likes.. if anything hes a good centerback whos greatest asset seems to be his footballing ability rather than his defensive attributes... if we can get 12mill for him as u say id sell aswell.. granted we go out and get a top centerback..
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion